• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Standing wave tech

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Standing wave tech Reply with quote

Any famous players using harrelson trumpets? Is their swe tech of any usefulness? Anyone played harrelson's and can compare with other makes?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Standing wave tech Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
Any famous players using harrelson trumpets? Is their swe tech of any usefulness? Anyone played harrelson's and can compare with other makes?

The two Harrelson horns I've played threw too much sound forward. It was very hard to hear what I was playing amongst an ensemble. They were heavy.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned two Harrelson trumpets: a Summit 4/7 and then a Summit 1/1. Both were very well made horns.

I feel that there is at least some validity to Jason's claim that his SWE technology leads to more "efficient" horns: For less effort you do seem to get more sound projecting toward the audience.

That's great, but the downside is that it is harder to tell how well you are blending with a section or an ensemble because you get less feedback from the horn. I found the lack of feedback to be problematic, but I might have acclimated if I exclusively played that horn....

In terms of comparison with other horns, the 1/1 felt different to me compared to a Bach Strad with a 25 leadpipe and a 37 bell, but sounded fairly similar to the Bach in recordings.
USCGRick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and play two Harrelson summit vps trumpets. A 6/1 Bb and a 4/7 c trumpet. Both are very well constructed. I’ve owned Getzens, LeBlancs, Bach and other horns. To me they’re all good horns. It comes down to what you like and what you’re looking for in a horn. As a comeback player I find the Harrelson easier to play. I need less air to achieve the sound I want. They are easier to play and comfortable to play. If you do your own homework and research what Jason Harrelson speaks about you can see for yourself that his horns are very efficient and based upon science not just opinion. The SWE is based upon proven science not a gimmick. Yes, his horns are heavier than some but the sound they create is in my opinion unmatched. There is no wasted energy in a Harrelson trumpet.
Im not sure if I answered your question but I’ve found no better horn among the many great horns out there.

Harrelson Bb VPS Summit One
Harrelson C VPS Summit
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think any one equipment configuration works well for more that 15-20% of players. Jason Harrelson builds a great horn. My Bravura absolutely did not work for me. I find I need to go the opposite direction, playing a highly responsive efficient horn with lots of feedback. I like the lightest weight backbore I can find. That is why I play a Flip Oakes Wild Thing.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Pelt plays a Harrelson. I heard him in Oakland and he's a great player.
He and his group had done a mini-tour of the Bay Area and it was some of the best music I've heard in a while.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: