• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best quote in some time!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
I try to remember here on TH that I always have the option of simply finding something else more productive to do, no one is compelling me to either read or comment on this stuff. That being said, more than a few of us are “regulars” here, and commenting on what seems to be egocentric behavior probably isn’t inappropriate.Brad

My observation is that the "regulars" here typically fall into static ways of thinking. And when someone like Lionel comes along, and offers opinions outside many people's comfort zones, there is much emotional distress. Personally, I haven't read all of his posts, but for the ones I've read, I agree with about 80% of what he writes (but certainly haven't read everything).

Further , what some here interpret as "egotistical," to me looks more like confidence. The fact that he speaks from his own considerable life experience, is a plus, not a minus. I feel like if I met him in person, we would have a great conversation.

You posted a quote from Arturo. I really like Arturo. But some of what Lionel has said has been just as useful to me.

Last, I don't see Lionel taking shots at members here.

Jeff

Jeff I wasn't really trying to take a shot at Lionel, he may be a wonderful player who can do all he says and more. My shot if I took one was about the way he turned every post into the "Lionel" show. I see enough ego tripping on White House coverage! If I had taken a "shot" I would have used a larger caliber - I just sent him a hint!
You are far enough along in your development you probably spot bull**** a mile away, some of are still looking for gems. I try to see what works from every method and the "over-confident" method doesn't work for me.

I thought that the hint was in order. We will have to disagree👌
Rod
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod, it's one thing to disagree - it's another to say that you disagree and yet continue to take shots at another member here (and claim that you are not).

If you have a problem with someone, take it to the system mods. Otherwise, please give it a rest.

Last edited by trumpetteacher1 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider it rested Jeff.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Quote in some time Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
This one is personal so some people might not think it funny but years ago after I got into recovery from alcohol I started playing alot again, in church and community band. We always did summer concerts in the park and on one occasion this young lady and I were going to play a trumpet duet together. He introduced her and said said that she was serving a small Lutheran parish in the area and then when introduced me he said, "this is Brian who many of you know. He had a promising career in music until it was discovered that he couldn't finish any composition because he had to stop at every bar!" That band director passed years ago and that is one of my fondest memories of him. I knew he wouldn't say something like that to embarrass. Lots of people laughed in the audience, too. Small town of 9000, everyone knows ya. Thanks for an interesting topic.

A gutsy post. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetteacher1 wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
I try to remember here on TH that I always have the option of simply finding something else more productive to do, no one is compelling me to either read or comment on this stuff. That being said, more than a few of us are “regulars” here, and commenting on what seems to be egocentric behavior probably isn’t inappropriate.Brad

My observation is that the "regulars" here typically fall into static ways of thinking. And when someone like Lionel comes along, and offers opinions outside many people's comfort zones, there is much emotional distress. Personally, I haven't read all of his posts, but for the ones I've read, I agree with about 80% of what he writes (but certainly haven't read everything).

Further , what some here interpret as "egotistical," to me looks more like confidence. The fact that he speaks from his own considerable life experience, is a plus, not a minus. I feel like if I met him in person, we would have a great conversation.

You posted a quote from Arturo. I really like Arturo. But some of what Lionel has said has been just as useful to me.

Last, I don't see Lionel taking shots at members here.

Jeff

Completely disagree, but opinions are just that, opinions.

And I need to do what I’ve said I planned on doing, stop commenting on things certain people here post; it really doesn’t do much besides take discussions down a negative path, and there’s more than enough negativity in society already.

Brad
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arturo expresses some great attitudes and insights! We are very fortunate to have him share them with us.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
When asked what I would do if I won the lotto I responded:

"Keep playing trumpet until the money runs out"

Yes! Good one!
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen, "Anthem".

~ r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good one ... this time, from the late Wes Montgomery:

I never practice the (horn, guitar, etc.). Every once-in-a-while, I open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: