• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bottom lip rolling/curling

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_fdb91a0

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
I still think there's too much emphsis on the lips themselves rather than the constant supply of wind and making certain it can also get by the tongue with no obstruction.

The horn requires very little "wind" to play. Improper and under-utilization of the tongue is precisely why most players are using too much air and too much "lip" to play the instrument.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels like, if I am playing relaxed, when I go into the high to very-high range, say from double G to triple G, my tongue automatically goes into the position that is seen in Pops' drawings. Also seen in some of Callet's drawings and talked about and demonstrated in Lynn Nicholson's video 'Got High Notes'. My current theory is that, if we are playing very relaxed and efficiently, the tongue automatically goes into a specific position for the extreme high register. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewwilkie86 wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:
I still think there's too much emphsis on the lips themselves rather than the constant supply of wind and making certain it can also get by the tongue with no obstruction.

The horn requires very little "wind" to play. Improper and under-utilization of the tongue is precisely why most players are using too much air and too much "lip" to play the instrument.
Agreed, but the wind must remain constant. I beleive many "choke off" the wind entirely in the attempt to push more- valsalva-type issue, or the feeling inside, an insatnt before one initiates a cough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: