• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

London Symphony Orchestra - what a sound!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: London Symphony Orchestra - what a sound! Reply with quote

LSO...Simon Rattle at the https://www.elbphilharmonie.de in Hamburg.

What did they play?

Leoš Janáček: Totenhaus Overture
Elliott Carter: Instances
Alban Berg: Violin Concerto. Isabelle Faust on violin was brilliant.

First half was with David Elton on prinicpal.

Then the second half was Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. Phillip Cobb coming to do the honours, with Geral Ruddock and Niall Keatley. Elton bumping up Cobb.

All I can say is that everyone was brilliant, but Phillip Cobb was awesome in the Bartok. Plus that concert hall is absolutely brilliant...worth a visit whatever is on, but that concert was worth the trip and the large hole it left in my pocket.

Rattle was imperious of course. Glad he's back in London. And to risk fire and fury on TH...a shout out to the woodwind in the Bartok. It's a piece I know well and I have never heard it better.

Interestly looks like David Elton played a C whereas all the others on Bb. To me that doesn't matter...what does is the sound they made. And what a sound!! But Cobb was the one who left me feeling I wanted to hear more.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, turns out starting out on the cornet leads to strong trumpet players in later life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: