• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The best advice I received on Trumpet Herald

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember "yarp" from my childhood. Also, parents talking in "pig latin". And, we used to say, instead of "all right", we'd say "All right a-roony" which I've only recently learned was probably a carry-over from popular musician and humorist Slim Gaillard.

Anyway, I've got my Schlossberg book and even put little red stars by the exercises recommended, but wow, from where I am right now, I'm finding 19/30s a bit more my level, recovering from the flu and all.

So, both sets of exercises are good!
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I can't believe you know about Slim and Slam! I grew up with jazz since I was in the womb. My dad had tens of thousands of traditional jazz records.. I started playing the trumpet at 3.. I would always spin around in my den with the jazz records on with the trumpet 'playing' along with them.. Louie, Bix, Jimmy McPartland, Wild Bill Davison, and Slim and Slam was a favorite too.. Very cool

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Wow! I can't believe you know about Slim and Slam!

I didn't know about them! It was just a thing we kids did, saying 'a-roonie' on the end of things, that got passed down somehow.

I learned about Slim first from watching the movie Atomic Cafe, which has part of his song "Atomic Cocktail" and I looked him up on YouTube and found gems like "Potato Chips", "Matzoh Balls, Gefilte Fish". etc. There's even an hour-long documentary about him on there done by the BBC.

Imagine my surprise when I was reading Kerouac's "On The Road" and Kerouac and his buddies went to see Slim in person whenever they could.

Getting back onto the subject of this thread, I've tried the "Cat Anderson Whisper G" exercise and I like it. It's pretty easy to watch a movie on Youtube and whisper-G your way through it.
StartingUpAgainAt53

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Thank you for posting this! Reply with quote

Thank you so much for posting this and also the 1930s link!

I was reading the full 1930s article and could not believe how much I could relate to the overall experience of the author!

It also brought back memories from a long, long time ago with my original trumpet teacher, when I was in elementary school, who did emphasize much of the same me points only to be pointed in the wrong direction by my third trumpet teacher in middle school. He tried to change my embochure (I naturally play to one side) and was all about tightening the lip/face muscles when playing. Worked for him but not for me.

Dug out my late fathers Schlossberg book ($5 printed price on it, and not yellowed due to acid free paper from back in the day) and had at it today. After a round of 1930s. While I have been practicing a from of long tones, not as effective as the 1930s.

Cheers,
Marc
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And check out his partner Slam Stewart, famous for singing along with his bass solos.

Link

Quote:
Getting back onto the subject of this thread, I've tried the "Cat Anderson Whisper G" exercise and I like it. It's pretty easy to watch a movie on Youtube and whisper-G your way through it.

I've experimented with different volumes doing Cat's whisper G, from the extreme whisper you can hear demonstrated on YT, to doing it at forte. I get the best results by far doing it at a comfortable p-mp. I usually do it with a harmon 'Zinger' mute and Matt Anklan's 'Silencer'. Yeah, I usually watch something on the internet while doing it for 20 minutes..I keep the mouthpiece on my face and breathe thru my nose. My teeth are closed in my normal bite position. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an aside, I used to listen to Slam Stewart a lot on the radio when I was a tween. Dug him. Thanks for the link.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 19/30s are *really* helping me.

I was out busking Saturday night and made almost $50, and would have made more if I wanted to play longer but 2 hours was enough for me. I blame the 19/30s for my success - the exercise has me actually using a different, better, posture.
DocteurQui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I know I resuscitate an old thread, but I find this routine interesting and I would like to use it. I experienced some big chops problems six years ago and even if things are a lot better now, I still struggle with endurance, so since I read that Turkle used this routine to rebuild chops, it interest me !

However (and I hope Turkle will see this !), how do one manage to play this routine every day in the beginning ? Are we supposed to play the whole routine, or must we add exercises gradually (or play only the lines that are in a comfortable range at first, then build up) ? Should we spread the exercises along the day with a lot of rest between each ? Turkle, since you mention that you were barely able to play a tuning note when you start this program, I hope you could help me...

Thanks a lot !
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DocteurQui wrote:
... I still struggle with endurance, so since I read that Turkle used this routine to rebuild chops, it interest me ! ...

---------------
What types of 'endurance' problems are you having?

If it's difficulty playing long phrases without needing to take a breath, that's one thing.

If it's your embouchure becoming physically fatigued (or injured), and you not being able to continue playing as well, that is something else. Maybe rim pressure, mouthpiece size, tooth problems, embouchure technique, etc.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
DocteurQui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
DocteurQui wrote:
... I still struggle with endurance, so since I read that Turkle used this routine to rebuild chops, it interest me ! ...

---------------
What types of 'endurance' problems are you having?

If it's difficulty playing long phrases without needing to take a breath, that's one thing.

If it's your embouchure becoming physically fatigued (or injured), and you not being able to continue playing as well, that is something else. Maybe rim pressure, mouthpiece size, tooth problems, embouchure technique, etc.

I can play long without taking a breath, it's the embouchure that become tired after a while, even if I really take the things at square one to try to understand what's happening. For example, for the two last weeks I have been playing a Merri Franquin routine, half an hour a day, not higher thant G in the staff (except for a few days when I go higher to check where I am, I may be too impatient !), and since yesterday I feel tired. It's been doing that for several months : I play two or three weeks and then must rest for several days !

Until a few weeks ago, I was playing on a Bach 10 1/2C and it helped for a while ; I'm now playing with a Bach 3C, it feels easier but the problem remains. I try to be more careful than I already was with air, and it makes a difference (starting a clean note become easier), but I still miss something. It results with too much mouthpiece pressure, especially on the upper lip, but I'm not sure if it's a cause or a consequence ! I also focus on being more relaxed, I think I may have been too tense.

Finally, I took lessons from a great French trumpet player for a few years, but since the pandemia I haven't seen him and am unable to join him at the moment.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject: embouchure basics Reply with quote

My thoughts about 'embouchure basics' are here -
http://users.hancock.net/jkosta/Embouchure_Basic_Concepts.htm
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: