• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should I quit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
Here's my story

I picked up the trumpet 3 1/2 years ago. Learned scales, to improvise, had crappy tone until I picked up a teacher. Made some progress everywhere, but after a year range stagnates. His attitude: use support! Find your own way to understand the high note feeling in terms of embouchure, sensation, etc... Very optimistic teacher who made me play notes I wouldn't dare to try. Had him for a year and a half.

Comes in next teacher. Classical player. He reforms my embouchure. Tells me everything I do is crap, doesn't go well with my practice entousiatsm and tells me to play max 1hour per day, which was RIDICULOUS given my commitments. He destroyed my confidence and pushed me away from jazz to get a pure technical mindset. A knife that cuts both ways. I improved some aspects, but the rest was disastrous. I wanted to improve so .... fast and he was holding me back. Yeah, here comes the speech of fatigue and bad habits. I wanted to practice BOTH hard and smart.

This summer I did as he say, practicing very few hours a day and focusing on the technique. But now I'm in University and I feel I play like crap every time, as if something was wrong with that. New teacher gave me the exact opposite approach with a 1h30 long routine and other things as well, but I feel like I've lost my soul. I try so .... hard to focus on the positive, retain what's good, rest as much as I play, all that tralala that everyone will suggest is wrong with my practice. Sometimes I think that practicing 3h30 a day might be too much but hell you guys now how it works. If I am to become a professional trumpeter there's so much I need to know and practice and with 3h30 of material (yes, slow focused practice) seems like fair enough to accomplish a MINIMUM of virtuosity.

My current teacher says developpement works in plateaus. If he's right, I feel like I've been below sea level for a painful amount of time. Range, endurance, tone isssues have made me depressive and the lack of a practical solution (play less? no! play softer? I need to play louder according to teacher goddammit! Embouchure? Been there done that) makes me crazy.

So let me ask bluntly: am I cursed to suck at the trumpet?

<<Edited by moderators. This is a family-friendly site, obscenities are prohibited. If you use them again you'll lose your posting privileges.

Reading your post I get a subtle feeeling that you kind of "hand yourself over" to these teachers leaving out your gutfeeling. I donīt mean to say they are wrong but the only person who really feels your chops is you.
A teacher should try to work with what is given, point out possible sources of "malpractice" like not using enough air, not having solid support from the stomach/chestmuscles etc, faulty lip positions - faulty attack, make you aware of the tongue, not using unncecessary tension, contorting your face - in all establishing a relaxed attitude, together with installing joy at the same time, joy over being able to do progress. Besides that I think a teacher has to be encouraging - stretching the borders (within limits).
Then of course if you want to become successful this takes an awful amount of hours spent at learning scales, technical proficiency, flexibility, you name it.
Always a risk if someone tells you, at the start "now you will have to practice at least 2-3 hours a day, year in year out" - that you will start to wonder - will it be worth it?? A guy like Hardenberg uses 6 hours a day. So indeed success comes with a price. Is this price reasonable?
Of course same goes with the school thing - telling a youngster aged 7 - "now, every morning for at least 10 years you will have to get up get ready and study all day long" isnīt exactly promoting joy". Goes with a lot of enterprises in life.....Once, in my youth, while studying at the university, I took a summer job as garbage collector; during a lunchbreak I asked the gentleman I worked in pair with "what do you think of your job" he replied "well if I had known then I would have chosen another way of supporting myself" - I asked "then how many years have you been doing this" - he answered "30 years"! Made me think that I would never ever indulge in something ending up 30 years later telling myself I should have done something else instead.
As is written in posts here: music is joy -practicing not always - go for "An die Freude"! And good luck!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question is, can you quit?

If the answer is yes then that is a possibility. For many people on here including myself that simply isn't an option despite having had 2 large physical set backs in 5 years and umming and arghhing about what I'm doing with the instrument but then I have been playing for thirty five years.

The instrument is incredibly demanding physically and sometimes emotionally and spiritually. It can be very difficult negotiating your way through that but as somebody once said everybody wants to slay the dragon but who's really prepared to carry the sword, or words to that effect.

There comes a point where the actual navigation of these difficulties can detract enough from the enjoyment and satisfaction of your playing that it simply becomes no longer enjoyable. I have been there and experienced this more as I've got older especially with regards to my chops.The trumpet gets harder the longer you play it in many ways which is what makes it such a beast and means you have step up even more.

One thing I would say is that if you are young and have not been playing that long then you have a hell of a lot of development that is possible even though you might not be able to see that.

I would say that other than the trumpet itself the actual participation in the musical act and the spiritual integration it can bring with those around you is very important even if it doesn't always feel like that.

I have a few things going on in my life but I can say that the trumpet IS my .... life whether I like it or not. It is the biggest thing I do and holds me together in a way that nothing else does.

So I would say, don't quit. Or do quit and if you feel bereft you know what to do..!

<< Edited by moderators. Profanity is not allowed on the TH. That includes slightly disguised. Refrain or you will lose posting privileges. >>
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

I'm trying to read into what and how you are saying things, and I come out with a rather different opinion compared to others..

First, it seems you want to play trumpet well in the more commercial / jazz area. Great. Good stuff. If you didn't want to play well, I would question why you are bothering. So this is positive.

Second, you are describing issues and attaching them to other people, namely you past and current teachers. Here is the issue. The blame game does nothing but foster a negative mindset and a lack of progress.

Regardless of who you take lessons from you are responsible for your progress. If a direction or suggestion is not working, YOU need to explore this and work out the reasons why. There are times I feel I simply cannot help a student, and I am sure there are times students feel I am not helping them. But they need to be working and thinking AND communicating with me, or all I can give them is more advice...

One thing students seem to never recognise, let alone forget, is that they need to learn more in order to progress, and much of that leaning is NEW knowledge. It is, to them, unknown. AND, they do not even know they don't know it!

I suspect you are in this place - you don't even know what you don't know, let alone what you need to learn and do to progress. As well as a competent teacher, you need to be of a growth mindset, and work towards a positive outcome. You may not even know what that is either!

So, you have two choices. Throw in the towel and give up as you are not willing to learn what you need to to become a good player. Second, dump the pride, dump the overly high expectations and allow your teacher to guide you, trusting they know the path to take. If you don't know this path, then it may very well be the right one. After all, nothing has worked yet, right? Also, it's mid October - you've been at college for a few weeks. Go back and do some work and report in after a year of consistent, patient and humble practice.

It's amazing what can happen in a year.

cheers

Andy
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You should quit. Quit taking lessons from the teachers you don't like. Go back to the teacher you do like or just play on your own. There's nothing wrong with your technique. You just haven't played long enough to develop it. Nobody has!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dan in Sydney
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I'm trying to read into what and how you are saying things, and I come out with a rather different opinion compared to others..

First, it seems you want to play trumpet well in the more commercial / jazz area. Great. Good stuff. If you didn't want to play well, I would question why you are bothering. So this is positive.

Second, you are describing issues and attaching them to other people, namely you past and current teachers. Here is the issue. The blame game does nothing but foster a negative mindset and a lack of progress.

Regardless of who you take lessons from you are responsible for your progress. If a direction or suggestion is not working, YOU need to explore this and work out the reasons why. There are times I feel I simply cannot help a student, and I am sure there are times students feel I am not helping them. But they need to be working and thinking AND communicating with me, or all I can give them is more advice...

One thing students seem to never recognise, let alone forget, is that they need to learn more in order to progress, and much of that leaning is NEW knowledge. It is, to them, unknown. AND, they do not even know they don't know it!

I suspect you are in this place - you don't even know what you don't know, let alone what you need to learn and do to progress. As well as a competent teacher, you need to be of a growth mindset, and work towards a positive outcome. You may not even know what that is either!

So, you have two choices. Throw in the towel and give up as you are not willing to learn what you need to to become a good player. Second, dump the pride, dump the overly high expectations and allow your teacher to guide you, trusting they know the path to take. If you don't know this path, then it may very well be the right one. After all, nothing has worked yet, right? Also, it's mid October - you've been at college for a few weeks. Go back and do some work and report in after a year of consistent, patient and humble practice.

cheers

Andy

This is some of the very best advice you will ever get--
It represents the evolution from a "run of the mill" trumpet student to a thinking, practicing musician. Yes, it sounds like you had some pretty mediocre teaching in the past, but as Andy said, most of your learning should happen outside of lessons. Also do more listening, and get some idea of what you want to sound like. Have this sound in your head when you pick up the horn to play. And don't forget, nothing happens without a good comfortable breath....
Bach Artist and Clinician, Soloist
http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/artist-information/centerstage/artist-roster/daniel-mendelow/
beagle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
Here's my story

I picked up the trumpet 3 1/2 years ago.

This seems to have been missed in all the responses to this post.

If you've only been playing for 3 1/2 years then you are really being way too impatient. Learning the trumpet, as with any instrument, takes time and dedication. There are no shortcuts. I think most people would require at least 10 years before things really start to come together. Even then there will always be more to learn.

Plateaus in your learning are also normal. If everyone who got to the point you are at were to give up there would be no trumpet players.

It is always easier to improve when you first start on an instrument because you are starting from zero ability. Getting better gets harder and harder the more you improve and requires dedication more than just talent. It is the same with any field of study. Only the truly dedicated can become virtuosos.

However, even if you are not prepared to do this, you can still have a lot of fun at whatever level you reach. If you still love the sound of the trumpet, then don't give up.

Rob
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I quit. It wasn't permanent but I needed a break. You can always take time off and come back when you are feeling calmer.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

beagle wrote:
Cola wrote:
Here's my story

If you've only been playing for 3 1/2 years then you are really being way too impatient. Learning the trumpet, as with any instrument, takes time and dedication. There are no shortcuts. I think most people would require at least 10 years before things really start to come together. Even then there will always be more to learn.

Plateaus in your learning are also normal. If everyone who got to the point you are at were to give up there would be no trumpet players.

It is always easier to improve when you first start on an instrument because you are starting from zero ability. Getting better gets harder and harder the more you improve and requires dedication more than just talent. It is the same with any field of study. Only the truly dedicated can become virtuosos.

However, even if you are not prepared to do this, you can still have a lot of fun at whatever level you reach. If you still love the sound of the trumpet,
Rob

The above post is good advice !

I would suggest that you practice in
shorter sessions, spaced throughout
your day.
It sounds to me like you're beating your chops up
by not resting enough when you practice.
You are trying to accomplish too
much in one practice session.
I would suggest you start out with three to four
30-minute practice sessions per day.
Possibly one session early in the morning,
another at midday, another in the early
evening and so forth.
If you have an Arban book, I would suggest
you practice the first 50 studies in the morning.
Practice them mezzo forte, and rest when your
chops become tired.
The Arban book is excellent for developing the
fundamentals of trumpet playing.
There is a lot more to be gotten out of the
Arban book than most players realize.
As other people who have posted have said...
You are not going through anything that many
other trumpet players have also experienced.

EDIT:
Another excellent book you should have is...
Embouchure Builder
by Lowell Little.
Get that book and read and follow Mr . Little's instructions.
Observe the dynamic markings in crescendos.
Cola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
beagle wrote:
Cola wrote:
Here's my story

However, even if you are not prepared to do this, you can still have a lot of fun at whatever level you reach. If you still love the sound of the trumpet,
Rob

The above post is good advice !

I would suggest that you practice in
shorter sessions, spaced throughout
your day.
It sounds to me like you're beating your chops up
by not resting enough when you practice.
You are trying to accomplish too
much in one practice session.
I would suggest you start out with three to four
30-minute practice sessions per day.
Possibly one session early in the morning,
another at midday, another in the early
evening and so forth.
If you have an Arban book, I would suggest
you practice the first 50 studies in the morning.
Practice them mezzo forte, and rest when your
chops become tired.
The Arban book is excellent for developing the
fundamentals of trumpet playing.
There is a lot more to be gotten out of the
Arban book than most players realize.
As other people who have posted have said...
You are not going through anything that many
other trumpet players have also experienced.

EDIT:
Another excellent book you should have is...
Embouchure Builder
by Lowell Little.
Get that book and read and follow Mr . Little's instructions.
Observe the dynamic markings in crescendos.

That's what I do, 30 minute sessions and rests (usually during the sessions and near as much as I play in between sessions

I have another method (David Zauder) which is quite challenging I must say. Good enough to test my limits without destroying my chops.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I was a self-taught player in my youth and was modestly successful through high school. But I had serious limitations and problems with my approach. After a 10 year hiatus, I eventually found my way to a supremely qualified teacher. It made all the difference to find someone with whom I communicated really really well. I talked his ear off and he had the patience and the skill to take it all in and still give me what I needed.

Stick with it and find a teacher who you really click with. There's no better way to make steady progress toward where you want to be.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you didn't have good experiences with the couple of teachers you had in the past does not therefore mean that lessons are useless and ineffective, and therefore you should abandon the idea of taking lessons and give up the instrument - maybe you should or maybe not - no one knows but you. Not all teachers are good teachers, yet some are excellent; just as not all excellent players are necessarily good teachers.

Although I do not have specific data or statistics, I would be surprised to find out to the contrary, that most good players, and then beyond that to those who we might call world class or virtuoso, can credit their playing abilities to lessons from good teachers at some point in time in their development.

I do not, and will never believe, regardless of what anyone says to the contrary - that the trumpet is a self taught endeavor. I believe that to maximize anyone's given potential, lessons - or maybe I'll call it "training" by a good teacher are vital.

Two of the biggest benefits of my lessons were imitation and motivation. My teacher often played for me, and I along with him. This helped me develop tone quality - perhaps the most important aspect of trumpet playing, and mechanics of playing. It also developed my ear, and the ability to know what constitutes good sound.

No one can tell you whether or not to quit....that will be the result of your own attitude, expectations, and priorities. If being a trumpet player is important to you, you will probably find a way to continue. If not, you may very well give up the instrument and do something else with your time. The only other thing I would say to anyone who would ask is that being a trumpet player has to be very important, because playing trumpet - especially well - is too difficult and time consuming, and requires too much effort, dedication, and commitment for anyone who does not have a strong and continuing desire to do so.

Playing trumpet is a lifelong endeavor. I think it is a journey rather than a destination, because anyone who is really serious and committed never fully arrives, but continues to travel and seek the "destination".

Good luck.
loplop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
It sounds to me like you could use a break from playing. Enjoy music (not performance). When you come back, do it with another teacher. And don't be impatient.

This. Don't be afraid to take a break. Your chops (and mindset) will thank you!
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say good bye to your teachers for a while. You can learn on your own. Follow your instinct and common sense. Educate yourself on the basics. There is plenty to read and watch.

If you don't have it already, get yourself the Arban's Trumpet method book, the Iron's flexibility studies book and a Fake Book. Then, take 1 month off playing and spend the time listening to your favorite trumpet artists and watching trumpet YouTubes. Also, listen to your favorite singer now and then. Take some time to decide what you really want to do with your trumpet.

When you start playing again, start with the Arban's book at exercise 1 and just go through the exercises at a reasonable pace - repeating exercises that give you trouble. Set your practice routine to include scales, Arban's, Iron's and maybe on Fridays or when you need a change of pace, crack open the Fake Book and play some tunes. Learn at your own pace and at your own pleasure level.

Feel free to take a day or two off your practice routine once in a while, to allow your progress set-in and be absorbed. Go on the Internet and print-out other practice materials such as all the scales, and long tone exercises.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
Yes. You should quit. Quit taking lessons from the teachers you don't like. Go back to the teacher you do like or just play on your own. There's nothing wrong with your technique. You just haven't played long enough to develop it. Nobody has!
Eb

Yamaha Performing Artist (Jazz & Lead player) Bobby Shew - "YOU are your own best Teacher." - Article - http://www.bobbyshew.com/main.html?pgid=7&art_artcl_id=15

AMEN ... for the first 50 years of my playing, I did NOT have a teacher. Three of my Band Directors played the trumpet and all three sucked at it. I learned everything with hours of practice and experimentation. These days, you have YouTube which is a huge blessing in terms of being able to watch and learn. Playing anything should be fun. I have gone for months without touching the horn and then I'll pick it back up and practice daily. I enjoy watching TV while I practice as I get a kick out of mastering exercises. I have experienced one teacher who had a Ph.D and couldn't play his way out of a wet paper bag. You grab what you can from others and use what YOU can ... use what fits you. Everyone can't utilize every single embouchure theory out there ... you find what works for YOU and your physical build etc.

Playing along with the radio is a great way to learn improvisation as is learning all the scale patterns. Life is too short not to have fun.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeanne Pocius Dorismond wrote:
"...the most important gift I can give you is the certain knowledge that you are your own best teacher! Take the time to get to know your body, your chops, your equipment, and your tastes, because the greatest teacher/coach in the world still cannot climb inside your body or your head to adjust things." —Trumpeting by Nature

I think Jeanne was spot-on. I also think that lessons from a good teacher can be beneficial because they provide valuable information that you can use to get better. But you still have to apply it.
Piccolo Stomvi
Cola

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

cheers

Andy

I never said I owed my mistakes to teachers. I simply described our interactions to show that I good good ones who showed me different aspects.

Actually, I have a good one right now. He suggests that I keep doing my routine (a very complete method-David Zauder's) and play with people more often. In the past, I neglected technical routines and played all the time. That's quite a turn of situation, but what I'm discussing with him is the fact that I focus real hard on technical precision during those exercices-the dynamics, precision, sound, efficiency, etc.. but it doesn't transfer itself into my jazz playing. It feels like I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong in the practice room, but my body forgets every single mechanic when music comes in. He suggested therefore to play more often with people, but I am curious of what you guys think about that. How would you prevent me from making an a** of myself cracking notes in live context? I do not feel it's a matter of practicing slower or softer or endurance, I'd just like to know why I can't transfer what I learn for my woodshedding into my improvisation.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
I never said I owed my mistakes to teachers. I simply described our interactions to show that I good good ones who showed me different aspects.

Actually, I have a good one right now. He suggests that I keep doing my routine (a very complete method-David Zauder's) and play with people more often. In the past, I neglected technical routines and played all the time. That's quite a turn of situation, but what I'm discussing with him is the fact that I focus real hard on technical precision during those exercices-the dynamics, precision, sound, efficiency, etc.. but it doesn't transfer itself into my jazz playing. It feels like I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong in the practice room, but my body forgets every single mechanic when music comes in. He suggested therefore to play more often with people, but I am curious of what you guys think about that. How would you prevent me from making an a** of myself cracking notes in live context? I do not feel it's a matter of practicing slower or softer or endurance, I'd just like to know why I can't transfer what I learn for my woodshedding into my improvisation.

Perform when you practice. Perform more.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

Cola wrote:
How would you prevent me from making an a** of myself cracking notes in live context? I do not feel it's a matter of practicing slower or softer or endurance, I'd just like to know why I can't transfer what I learn for my woodshedding into my improvisation.

I had a student who was very proficient in playing the lead book in a big band. He was very accurate and virtually never missed a note or a clean attack. His improvisation was an entirely different story, he cracked notes all the time. He had the same question as you seem to have: Why does everything go well in a technical sense in the practice room but it doesn't translate over to his improvisation?

What I concluded is this: When he's playing the lead book he sees the notes, he knows what's coming and he prepares to play the notes before he actually has to play them. In contrast, when he's improvising he's playing too spontaneously to know what's coming and he is unable to adequately prepare to play it. So, essentially, his mind is not working quickly enough to employ his learned and practiced fundamentals so that he can improvise cleanly.

This is largely a matter of experience, or lack thereof, in improvisation. It's a skill that develops over time.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young man, I could improvise on just about any instrument you handed me, whether one of my primary instruments, or even something off the wall. I could at least get a few notes out of it and fit them into the chord progression to sound passable.

In late high school, I took lessons from the trumpet professor at the regional university. All he wanted to do was make a Herseth clone out of all of his students. He insisted my Mom purchase a Bach 37ML, even though I had my Dad's King Super 20, a very fine instrument indeed. I tried playing a 37, and hated it: I sounded thin, where on my Dad's trumpet my school band director (Navy trained) said I sounded fine. What I wanted to do was play 1st chair in concert band, jazz band, and have fun in college. He had me purchase a Bach 1 1/2 C "proper" mouthpiece, which I could never get used to. I dumped him, I sold the 1 1/2 C mouthpiece, went back to my 3C that I had picked out from my local music store when I was 15 years old (and still have it), and, yes, since he did have some good advice on some fundamental practice exercises, utilized them to play 1st section in concert band, "High School Band Camper of the Year" my last year in high school, and got a small stipend to play in college band.

As I get older, I must confess that more and more I retreat behind the music stand to the score, whether on upper brass, lower brass, guitar or bass, etc., and have more fun supporting those who take a step up front. So now I play more euph and tuba to support the rest of the band.

There is no shame in playing either the supporting role or a solo role. Both are essential. After blood clots a few years ago, I am simply thankful that I get to play, whatever, wherever, whenever.

If you love trumpet, play trumpet. Don't be side-tracked by those who say you should play a particular instrument or a particular mouthpiece or a particular repertoire. Yes, all teachers have some good advice as well as bad advice, so cherry-pick the good advice and keep playing. I have now been enjoying brass for forty-seven years, with ups, downs, periods of playing every day, periods of going for months or years without a gig, but always enjoying it: never pretending to be the "best," but always keeping myself in shape so that I provide proper support to the rest of the ensemble.

A few years ago, I wrote a small paper to my community jazz band on some techniques to develop a style of improvisation that can take a player from where he/she is, and work on it, starting with scales, notes that "decorate" a melody, discussing such concepts as motifs, sequences, and other fundamentals that don't necessarily "fly a kite," but help a person formulate a structured solo in context. I will be happy to email it to you.

Enjoy brass!!!
Cola

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I quit Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Cola wrote:
How would you prevent me from making an a** of myself cracking notes in live context? I do not feel it's a matter of practicing slower or softer or endurance, I'd just like to know why I can't transfer what I learn for my woodshedding into my improvisation.

I had a student who was very proficient in playing the lead book in a big band. He was very accurate and virtually never missed a note or a clean attack. His improvisation was an entirely different story, he cracked notes all the time. He had the same question as you seem to have: Why does everything go well in a technical sense in the practice room but it doesn't translate over to his improvisation?

What I concluded is this: When he's playing the lead book he sees the notes, he knows what's coming and he prepares to play the notes before he actually has to play them. In contrast, when he's improvising he's playing too spontaneously to know what's coming and he is unable to adequately prepare to play it. So, essentially, his mind is not working quickly enough to employ his learned and practiced fundamentals so that he can improvise cleanly.

This is largely a matter of experience, or lack thereof, in improvisation. It's a skill that develops over time.

I used to improvise all the time before I got an embouchure change. It's been about 1 year since I made the change. How long did it take to any of you guys to ''feel'' the same flow you used to have before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: