• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

Seems like whenever anybody post something from Louis Dowdeswell it ignites a series of attacks against his ability and sound, etc .. Blah, blah blah,
sorry, but this guy is one of the top players out there and sorry again if it looks effortless when he does it, the rest of us have to keep struggling along doing it our way. Well i'm one who wished he could do it his way. the kids a gem, and besides, who do they call in europe when Wayne Bergeron can't make the gig, yep, they call Louis Dowdeswell. sorry for the trash talkin', just havin' a little fun. enjoy the vid !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9uOlLPzJPI

the kid is great !!

regards,

tom
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do none of the video pans show him with the group? Is he even in with them at the same time? Or did he record his part later? Just seems odd... if he and the group are in there together, recording at the same time, I would have expected to see them together in a shot or at least connected in a pan.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great stuff !!!
Great band, great arrangement,
and great soloists.
Louis D. and the clarinet player were killer.
I had never heard of this guy before.
Thanks for posting that.
I must have missed something,
because I don't know why anyone
would be putting that down.
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
Why do none of the video pans show him with the group? Is he even in with them at the same time? Or did he record his part later? Just seems odd... if he and the group are in there together, recording at the same time, I would have expected to see them together in a shot or at least connected in a pan.

Why does it matter ?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure his parts were overdubbed. That is not at all unusual today.

Great playing on everybody's part!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a magnificent arrangement *and* recording! Absolutely outstanding musicianship all the way through.

I do like the way the trumpets wore their "matching" gig attire!

And I loved the clarinet solo . . . attaboy, Peter Long!

Thanks for posting this . . . I might not have heard it otherwise.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but for any version of "Sing, Sing, Sing" other than the original, I have to vote for one that doesn't even feature trumpets. In fact, it's nothing but the usual guitar and drums, but for me, this one swings like that song should. The sound's not anywhere near as good as on their CD, but crank up the volume and enjoy this live take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9IHy1PXdBI
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
Seems like whenever anybody post something from Louis Dowdeswell it ignites a series of attacks against his ability and sound, etc .. Blah, blah blah,

The closer a person gets to the top, the bigger the bullseye gets on his back.

There are two types of trumpet players in the world: Those who can play high and those who wish they could.

Oh yeah, there are those who will say, "I have a great sound, I can improvise, I can play musically and tastefully, I don't need to play high." These are the guys who have basically resigned themselves to ever being able to play high, even though they secretly wish they could. Then they turn around and criticize guys who can blow them off the stage with their range and saying that they don't play tastefully and musically.

Here's the thing. Music is not masturbation. You're there to please the crowd, not gratify yourself.

For any performer, what is most gratifying is evoking emotion, evoking big responses from the crowd.

Good jazz improv playing pleases the player and pleases other musicians who have the knowledge of what the player is doing. And there are some jazz aficionados who are not musicians that appreciate it. This comprises a very small percentage of the population. You have to understand jazz improv to appreciate it and most people do not understand it and don't care to. Most people want to enjoy music without having to understand it, analyze it, or think about it.

Nothing evokes human emotion the way high note playing on the trumpet does. You don't have to understand it. The sound of a high note reaches right inside people's souls and grabs a hold of it.

Go to any big band concert. Someone who plays a great jazz solo will get moderate applause from those in the audience who are paying attention. But get a trumpet player who goes up to a high G or higher during his jazz solo, and all of a sudden the entire crowd ROARS. Or have the lead trumpet player play a really high passage or tack a high note on the end of a tune and everyone roars. These are factual truths, I'm not making this up, this is just fact, backed up by years of observation.

Even in church, high note playing inspires people more and most pastors love it because if it gets the crowd more riled up and emotional when they're worshiping, it's better for the church. People will enjoy the praise and worship sessions more and keeping coming and giving their money more consistently.

Granted, there are some guys who can play high but choose not to. These are so few and far between that it's not even worth mentioning. Regardless, if they can play high, their phone is going to ring more than if they couldn't play high and they will be called upon to do so.

So when a person criticizes a guy who plays high, all they're doing is revealing their own envy, which reflects poorly on them.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great sounding band! Everything's so tight, clean, and swinging like mad. Thanks for posting this.
Piccolo Stomvi
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
ProAm wrote:

Why does it matter ?

It does not matter at all. It was just something that stood out to me and made me wonder is all. Just seemed odd — if you say it is not, OK, cool. I don't know anything about this kind of recording.
MasterWannabe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
sorry, but this guy is one of the top players out there and sorry again if it looks effortless when he does it, the rest of us have to keep struggling along doing it our way. Well i'm one who wished he could do it his way. the kids a gem, and besides, who do they call in europe when Wayne Bergeron can't make the gig, yep, they call Louis Dowdeswell. sorry for the trash talkin', just havin' a little fun. enjoy the vid !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9uOlLPzJPI

the kid is great !!

regards,

tom

W O W !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't know where you are going how will you know when you get there.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
What a magnificent arrangement *and* recording! Absolutely outstanding musicianship all the way through.

I do like the way the trumpets wore their "matching" gig attire!

And I loved the clarinet solo . . . attaboy, Peter Long!

Thanks for posting this . . . I might not have heard it otherwise.

+1.
Never heard of neither band nor Louis D but what a performance
The tight syncronization of all band members, the pulse, sweeping like a tidal wave. I just love the original version but I find this a very refreshing arrangement. An excellent example of updating old scores!
Thanks for posting it!
ps a question from a "might have been" - are theses guys pros or amateurs?
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:
You're there to please the crowd

So much for "serving the music".

I'm there to play music. If the audience for my band shows up and enjoys themselves, that's great. If they're not into it, I'm not changing it to make them more "pleased".

Stop painting every trumpet player with the "you wish you could play a bunch of high notes, you just gave up" brush. It is absolute, total pap.

Please.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killer

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

I'm there to play music. If the audience for my band shows up and enjoys themselves, that's great. If they're not into it, I'm not changing it to make them more "pleased".

Stop painting every trumpet player with the "you wish you could play a bunch of high notes, you just gave up" brush. It is absolute, total pap.

Please.

^
^
What he said. Gabriel makes a lot of sweeping generalizations in his post. Also not sure why the need to start out with so much defensive negativity - why not leave it at "here's a great performance I really liked".

Gabe also ignores that there *is* a lot of not particularly musical high-noting that goes on in the trumpet world.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

This is all fine and well, but if the audience doesn't enjoy the music and stops showing up? For a pro who makes a living as a performer, this would spell disaster.

Art is communication in a very basic form. Communication occurs between people, so the audience is supposed to participate. Audiences usually do this by various means, such as clapping along, dancing, singing along and applause. If the artwork we present doesn't communicate to the audience and elicit a positive (read: desired) response, then it's up to us, not the audience, to change something. We are trying to reach the listeners. Otherwise, what's the point?

I think this is what he meant when he said, "You're there to please the crowd."

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Shipham_Player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't post much on here anymore but have to say anyone who doubts Louis should buy the Callum Au arrangement and try playing it in their big band!

(I'm not on commission!)

As someone who played with Louis when he was younger a few times I've never played with anyone like him before or since.

Checkout his latest arrangement of The Incredibles featuring Wayne Bergeron - I think that's enough of an endorsement.

And finally, did the US members on here (I'm from UK) realise that when the Big Phat Band playedthe UK last year, Wayne Bergeron didn't come over.

Guess who they got to do lead instead?
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

gabriel127 wrote:

There are two types of trumpet players in the world: Those who can play high and those who wish they could...

Nothing evokes human emotion the way high note playing on the trumpet does. You don't have to understand it. The sound of a high note reaches right inside people's souls and grabs a hold of it.

I'm not really interested in discussing most of this post (although, like others, I think you're very off base), but if you make a list of the trumpet players best-loved by the public in the last 100 years, how many of them are primarily high note players? Arguably none. They're all in that category of the "musical" players you don't seem to have much use for. Yes, many of them also had good high chops, since that's a facet of being a good overall trumpet player, but pretty much everyone who is popular outside of trumpet playing circles is more about sound, style, and overall personality than how much faster the vibrations they produce are than the other guys.

Trumpet players are obsessed with high notes. The public enjoys some of them, when they're done well, in the right places, and not too often. If this isn't obvious to you, well, I think you're missing the best parts of what you're listening to, but that's just my two cents.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
jazz_trpt wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

This is all fine and well, but if the audience doesn't enjoy the music and stops showing up? For a pro who makes a living as a performer, this would spell disaster.

Sure. Sometimes that's just a product of making bad music.

I'll continue to spend 99% of my energy trying to make good music and 1% or less worrying about whether it's good "entertainment"...
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: A new sing, sing, sing version from Louis D. Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
jazz_trpt wrote:
gabriel127 wrote:

Sure. Sometimes that's just a product of making bad music.

I'll continue to spend 99% of my energy trying to make good music and 1% or less worrying about whether it's good "entertainment"...

Hope you’re not relying on that 1% effort as your only source of income.

The listeners (those that are entertained) that spend their money on cover charges, or payment for a private function, or buy our music are more important to me than just 1%

Otherwise I’d just focus on making good music in my basement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: