• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Edwards trumpet for classical?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghsdirector
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,
I'm sure you're right. I'm very happy with the Gen III as it is. I wanted a horn that contrasted some of the qualities of my 37. I got that with the Gen III. I love playing it. I also like to play my 37 sometimes. I have quite a history with that horn. It's a familiar old friend. You guys are making incredible horns, and I have no doubt you can equip most players with whatever they need. I didn't mean to imply that you guys couldn't make a horn that won't "cut through".
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't meaning that you thought an Edwards couldn't be made to cut through. I was directing that post to those that don't know much about Edwards trumpets or how a fitting works. It is literally the closest you can come to having a cutom made trumpet without the long wait or huge cost.

Brett Getzen

Follow Getzen on:
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/getzencompany/

Twitter https://twitter.com/GetzenCompany

If you have a question please feel free to email me at brett@getzen.com.
dizzyizzy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach101

ditto batsomh's response I have a Gen III C that I chose OVER the Bach, etc via long testing at a past ITG. EXCELLENT horn. Not so unlike that it doesn't "blend", but IMO, it "plays" better.

However, if you have time, I'd SERIOUSLY recommend contacted Edwards for a "fitting" as to bell, leadpipe, etc to fit YOU. There's no pressure, GREAT people, and the horns sell themselves.

Dizzyizzy.
thejoed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Gen2RL.

If you want to blend with Bachs and have a traditional sound, then go get fitted and tell them that's what you want. Done.

That's the beauty of the Edwards system, they will listen to what you want and give you a product that is better than what you expected. Definitely get fitted, there are waay too many options to wade through to tackle it on your own or over the internet.
nickbarr96

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from a bach 37 to a gen 3 6 months ago and i love the change. I get a much darker sound with the Edwards, as well as much smoother valve action. It also depends on your gen 3 setup, because you can get any size bore or bell. I have the D4 (.462) leadpipe and the bronze bell, and I love the sound and resonance it makes. The Bach 37 is certainly a wonderful horn, but I found that I couldn't put the air I wanted to through it comfortably. Like any horn, it depends on your preference and tendencies.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post was written at a time when Edwards was focused on modular design. The Gen III Bb and C trumpets they were making then were highly customizable.

The non-modular horns Edwards is making now are terrific, and work well for "orchestra and solos." I played an Edwards Gen IV for a while as my main C trumpet. It worked very well for everything from Beethoven to John Williams.

The X-17 Bb trumpet I tried at ITG was a really nice all-around horn. It would certainly work fine in any sort of "classical situation" that you'd want to use a Bb, or in just about any other kind of situation.

Despite the unconventional looks of the X-13, it also is a wonderful all-around horn.

And with all of these horns -- the Gen IV C, the X-13 Bb and the X-17 Bb -- you get the fabulous Getzen valve block.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: