• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso and multiple tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Caruso and multiple tonguing Reply with quote

Hey all,

I found one thread from many years ago related to this. The suggestion was to play the tonguing exercise in MCFB double tongued starting on the quarter notes.

Since the time of that thread, we have had several additional Caruso students join and I was curious,

1. Did Carmine address multiple tonguing with you?
2. How did he go about it? What kinds of exercises did he assign?

I'd also love to hear about Caruso inspired approaches that may have come from some of Carmine's torch bearers.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got more advanced, Carmine had me do the tongue brushing exercise using "kiss" for all the notes. In other words, the regular tongue brushing exercise uses "tss". He also had me do it using "kiss".
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double tonguing as CC gave it to me.

The note values of the Regular tonguing exercise are used with T's and K's but omitting whole and half notes. So it starts with quarter notes.

One bar of T's followed by one bar of K's for quarter notes, eighth notes and sixteenth notes from second line G to C, same as the regular tonguing.

4 Rules (as usual), metronome, quarter = 60

t t t t /k k k k / tt tt tt tt / kk kk kk kk /tttt tttt tttt tttt / kkkk kkkk kkkk kkkk /

Nose breathe for 4 beats whenever necessary. Going between k and t only happens between bars.

After a few weeks (months) the exercise can be moved up to tuning C to G on top of the staff and finally G (top of the staff) to high C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: