• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Godfather

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtraLargeBore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Lazarlady wrote:
Hi! New to here - I googled my Dad (Sid Lazar) and caught this thread. Just to clarify: Sid Lazar played the trumpet solo on The Godfather numbers 1 & 2. He says Mr. Maxwell had no part in playing these and that Mario played the solo for Godfather 3. Sounds to me like a case of mistaken ID! My dad is just learning how to use the internet - go Dad! - and will probably sign on to here when he gets up and running. Meanwhile, if you'd like to contact him for history or info, please feel free to contact me. He also suggested that you check with the Union as they have correct info on all the who-played-what stuff.

Wow! Cudos to Symphony Sid for tackling learning how to use the internet - a quarter of a century after he died!!! According to Wikipedia Sid Lazar passed away in 1984. Also from Wikipedia, complete with a citation:

Quote:
Not much is known about his youth, although he seems to have become a jazz fan as a teenager, and at one point tried to become a trumpet player. (Passman, 67)

Passman, Arnold. "The Deejays." New York: Macmillan, 1971, p 67

Jimmy Maxwell was the trumpet soloist for the Godfather. "Lazarlady" is nothing but a one-post troll.

The wikipedia page you refer to (and we all know wiki is a definitive source) isn't even for Sid Lazar. It is for Symphony Sid, Sid Torin. Not sure why you have them confused, is there something I'm missing here?
Bb - Bach 37 #0XXX
C - Bach NY 229 25H #1
Eb/D - Schilke E8L #90210
Piccolo - Schilke P51 (custom 1 valve)
MPS - Bach - 1X 19 throat 117 backbore
Lazarlady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! and there must be 2 Symphony Sids, because that was a nickname given to my father, Sid Lazar. I was not aware of another trumpet player with that nickname, but obviously that is the case. It happens.
Lazarlady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and "Troll"?! Really?? Check with the Union, John, not Wiki or another performer.
Bob5610

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave the oranges.....take the cannolis.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Symphony Sid on the wiki was a disc jockey.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPPS!!!

Yes, the Symphony Sid I was referring to was the famous DJ - that was the only Symphony Sid I ever heard of. And when I went to his Wiki page, and saw that he played trumpet (but only as a kid) I thought someone was making a joke on this thread and posing as his supposed daughter.

Sorry Ms. Lazar! I guess you're for real. It just looked a bit funny, given that you had one and only one post here back when you claimed your dad was Symphony Sid a year ago - and I knew "Symphony Sid" as a DJ (there's even a song about him called appropriately, "Symphony Sid)".

How after a whole year did you happen upon this post within hours of my making it? Maybe you had the e-mail notification turned on.

I should have caught the different last name.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPPS!!! [/quote]

I don't know if that was intentional - but it sure was funny.......
Lazarlady

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it John! And yes, I have the email notification on. I'd just happened upon the thread a year ago and had to put the correction about The Godfather in at that time. (Proud of my dad for all of his good work)
malamute

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we talking about the Godfather waltz or the godfather love theme? I would like to get the music for both.
dmax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Trumpet Solo in the Godfather Reply with quote

Jimmy Maxwell was my father. He played the solo in the Godfather. No question about it. I'm puzzled by the fact that it's in question.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Jimmy Maxwell for several years. He was VERY proud of having played the Godfather Theme.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with all these references, no link to said solo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--SXPEUTDkw

Is that the solo, that is under dispute as having been played by Lazar or Maxwell? Or is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBW2LcakfMo
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fine Bay Area cornetist and bandleader, Mike Slack, recorded and performs his own variation on that theme. You'll have to buy the CD to hear the introduction (played very straight and lovingly), but the short sample on his band's site does cover part of the Dixieland-influenced variation. In this recording, the other cornetist (not second, just other) is the multitalented Dr. Tom Barneby:

http://www.sffeetwarmers.com/speaksoftly.mp3
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy could have played it for sure, but what always puzzled me a little was that Jimmy was a New York guy.

Most all of the movie sound track are done in LA.

CLB
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I have been so guilty of what I'm about to criticize. I'll keep it in the first person: Richard, quit being so darned emphatic -- or any of these: aggressive, assertive, dynamic, energetic, forceful, full-blooded, muscular, resounding, strenuous, vehement, vigorous, violent.

If I can pull it off, will make me a nicer guy.

Also, Lazarlady, welcome to TH
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtpro1 wrote:
The Internet Movie Database also credits Jimmy Maxwell for "The Godfather" trumpet solo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068646/fullcredits

Scroll down to where it says "music department"

Yes, this source gives credit to Jimmy Maxwell. But who knows for sure? There's a certain CD I'm on. I'm listed as Trumpet 2 on the soundtrack. In the original recording sessions I did play Trumpet 2. But after the initial sessions, I was called back in to do "some" overdubs. When the session started it became apparent that with the exception of one or two of my own spots that needed fixing, almost the entire next three hours of re-recording was to fix (virtually replace) the Trumpet 1 part. But I am still listed as Trumpet 2 and only Trumpet 2 on the credits (and that's just fine with me - I got paid well).

"You're not just in it for the money?!"

"Yes. Actually I hate music."

And by the way, it sounds to me like two different players on Godfather 1 vs. Godfather 2. Different attacks.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it.....

I did all the trumpet AND trombone solos on a CD back in 1994 for the great Cuban piano player Paquito Hechavarria. The CD was called "Piano" and its on a major label "Sony" and was a union date. And I'm not even listed.

Sh!t happens.....

Chris LaBarbera
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled on this thread and it is still a mystery, here, which trumpet player played the trumpet solo for The Godfather. In Los Angeles, around 1974 I heard Sid Lazar rehearsing L'histoire at a school. Someone identified him to me, then, and said that he had played the Godfather theme. And, I've read that he was the man at Paramount Studios, at some point. The Godfather is a Paramount Production. On the other hand, Jimmy Maxwell is listed somewhere on the internet as the player and a student here, claims HE said he played it. So, two people claim they played it. Whats the solution? I thought of the time, many years back, that a famous conductor was dissatisfied with the Petrushka solo his principal had played (in a top orchestra). He then recorded the solo with another top orchestra player (Bob DiVall, LAPhil) and put that on the LP. Both players could have truthfully said that played the solo while only one appeared on the LP. I wonder if something like this could have happened.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to play with Jimmy Maxwell a lot in the late 70`s as we had a broadway show together for a few years.Thats 8 times a week.There was a lot of down time,between shows on matinee days,so I had a chance to talk to him a lot,hang out,have dinner,kill time.He was a marvelous trumpet player,and a great guy too. He was at that time playing a Bach 7B mouthpiece,and a Bach Trumpet,but sometimes played a Callichio Trumpet..One time I asked him what trumpet he used on the Godfather movie,and he said he had both there,but the conversation veered off into something else so I did`t get a definite on that one.Anybody here that knew Jimmy will say that he was not a braggart,kind of quiet.I saw him get pissed one time,and you wouldn't want to be around for that!I won't talk about that,as it would kind of be off topic..Jimmy had a big sound,and a beautiful vibrato when appropriate.That kind of sound was at that time pretty noticable as many "Commercial" players were switching to more edgy mouthpieces,so when you sat next to somebody with that old school core in the sound ,you noticed;In fact,that Tonight Show Band trumpet section for a few years before all played with big sounds...When I watch the Godfather movie and hear the theme,I would bet that it`s Jimmy.The shimmer in his sound,the "Old school" inflections,etc..But you know,it does sound like the Callichio,although a lot can be done in the booth,as we know
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: