• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Worn Spit Valve Cork on "New" Trumpet ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Worn Spit Valve Cork on "New" Trumpet ? Reply with quote

A friend purchased a "new" Schilke Trumpet from WWBW that has been sitting in a warehouse since January of 2014. Upon first opening the Schilke box (packaging) ... the spit valve key cork is noticeably worn and almost gone ?

The trumpet was wrapped up tight and does not appear to have ever been played otherwise. Why would the cork be almost gone (worn) ?

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have just dried out and fallen apart.

Or they took a used horn and re-wrapped it.

Or...
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
May have just dried out and fallen apart.

Or they took a used horn and re-wrapped it.

Or...

Strangely, the wrapping and box were done so well that this trumpet appeared as if it had never seen the light of day with the exception of the spit vale cork which was just worn down. No oil on valves; no grease on slides etc. I am not sure WWBW could do the wrapping job I observed as he took it out of the Schilke Box.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe just a thin cork to begin with?
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very odd. But if it was wrapped and packed in original packaging, and the only issue is a dried out or missing cork, and you got a good buy on a new horn...I think I’d be fine with that.

I’d say again, it’s odd. But easy fix. And if the horn plays good (it’s a Schilke so I’d bet it’s awesome) and you got a good discount, I’d still say it’s a win.

What model did he get out of curiousity? Is it an oddball model like a B2 or B4,maybe a tuning bell?
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Worn Spit Valve Cork on "New" Trumpet ? Reply with quote

Question: On a new cork that's loose...and needs to be re-glued...what kind of cement/glue do u use to re-seat it???

Thanks,
Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Worn Spit Valve Cork on "New" Trumpet ? Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Question: On a new cork that's loose...and needs to be re-glued...what kind of cement/glue do u use to re-seat it???

Thanks,
Butch

Hot glue is useful since it just needs to be reheated to remove and replace future corks.

Out of curiosity, does Schilke still cover new instruments with blue plastic film?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing would surprise me from WWBW, I once bought a new Yamaha from them that had a huge dent in the bell that could not possibly have happened in shipping.

In this case, I would say if the horn looks clean inside, especially the lead pipe, then the cork just degraded; it has been sitting ( allegedly ) for 4 years.
It does surprise me though that a Schilke would sit in their warehouse for that long, is it an unusual model (bore, bell, etc.)?

Brad
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Nothing would surprise me from WWBW, I once bought a new Yamaha from them that had a huge dent in the bell that could not possibly have happened in shipping.

In this case, I would say if the horn looks clean inside, especially the lead pipe, then the cork just degraded; it has been sitting ( allegedly ) for 4 years.
It does surprise me though that a Schilke would sit in their warehouse for that long, is it an unusual model (bore, bell, etc.)?

Brad

One thing to remember though is WWBW isn’t WWBW anymore. Not just one location in South Bend Indiana.

Now it is owned by Guitar Center. Which is also Music 123, and like 100 Music and Arts Centers. So that means stuff is being shuffled around all over the country, sitting in warehouses, and often times I bet being overlooked.

It would not surprise me if there are boxes and boxes of unused unopened treasures all over the place that management has zero idea about. With an outfit that big you’re gonna have all kinds of anomalies every day.

Also there is no owner. Just I’m sure bloated management (mismanagement) and stockholders looking at there bottom line. Not unlike our government, when it’s other people’s money, fraud mismanagement, lost monies and investments and goof ups are the norm.

So I bet a four year old untouched Schilke really isn’t such a rarity in the many warehouses and people responsible for inventory in such a huge enterprise.

I hope the OP’s friend likes the horn, and got a good buy and I’m sure it plays great! It IS a Schilke and a water key cork is an easy and cheap fix!
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call Schilke and get their take on the matter:

Schilke Music Products, Inc.
4520 James Place
Melrose Park, IL 60160 USA
Phone: (708) 343-8858
Fax: (708) 343-8912
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Schilke instrument has blue plastic sticking to various surfaces of the plating. You have to make an effort to remove it, so if it was gone, this is not a new instrument. The serial number will let you find out from Schilke when it was made, and for whom possibly... Last, a water key cork from Schilke is normally black rubber / plastic.

cheers

Andy
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
A new Schilke instrument has blue plastic sticking to various surfaces of the plating. You have to make an effort to remove it, so if it was gone, this is not a new instrument. The serial number will let you find out from Schilke when it was made, and for whom possibly... Last, a water key cork from Schilke is normally black rubber / plastic.

cheers

Andy

That must be a new thing. It’s been I guess 15 years or more since I had a brand new Schilke in my hands. But they used to wrap them in white tissue paper with a green twist tie then bubble wrap.

I don’t remember blue plastic. And I don’t remember plastic/rubber water key corks either. Guess I could be wrong it’s been a while. But the OP’s description makes it sound like it’s immaculate except for the water key cork.

That would hardly be an issue for me, especially if the horn plays great (as I’m sure it does) and there is no damage or defects. Water key corks are a cheap and easy fix.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Schilke X3
Came in Schilke box inside another box ... warpped up great.
Trumpet itsself wrapped in white tissue paper with clear plastic bag over that
Parts were wrapped in that tight blue plastic.
He got a great deal $2395.33 ($500.00 off for Black Friday)
Dust on the top of the actual Schilke box (warehouse)
Schilke states horn produced in 2014.
I agree, very good value even with the cork half gone.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask for another $500 off for the trauma that the half dead cork brought you!!

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
I'd ask for another $500 off for the trauma that the half dead cork brought you!!

:roll:

No trauma ... we were just trying to determine if the trumpet was used and repackaged or in fact new.
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
homebilly wrote:

No trauma ... we were just trying to determine if the trumpet was used and repackaged or in fact new.

What you are describing, in my experience with Schilke purchases, is brand new horn. With the dry valves and dry slides, that sounds like a new horn that’s been sitting a long time. I have no experience on whether or not a cork would dry out and crack. Odd but an easy fix.

Archie
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.trader wrote:

That must be a new thing. It’s been I guess 15 years or more since I had a brand new Schilke in my hands. But they used to wrap them in white tissue paper with a green twist tie then bubble wrap.

I don’t remember blue plastic. And I don’t remember plastic/rubber water key corks either. Guess I could be wrong it’s been a while. But the OP’s description makes it sound like it’s immaculate except for the water key cork.

That would hardly be an issue for me, especially if the horn plays great (as I’m sure it does) and there is no damage or defects. Water key corks are a cheap and easy fix.

I've been seeing the blue plastic wrap for years and years, and have never seen a cork water key 'cork'. The Schilke ones have a nipple to close off more of the tower on the tubing to reduce any effect on sound.

As now stated, the instrument had plastic on it, so unless you are a bit finicky and like to perform with it still on our instrument (one rather high profile principal trumpet does this) it should be a new, old stock instrument.

cheers

Andy
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
trumpet.trader wrote:

I've been seeing the blue plastic wrap for years and years, and have never seen a cork water key 'cork'. The Schilke ones have a nipple to close off more of the tower on the tubing to reduce any effect on sound.

As now stated, the instrument had plastic on it, so unless you are a bit finicky and like to perform with it still on our instrument (one rather high profile principal trumpet does this) it should be a new, old stock instrument.

cheers

Andy

Not 100% positive, but I believe they stopped using those neoprene/nipple corks some time ago.

Brad
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Schilke's in the '70's. We used tapered (real) corks which we fitted to each horn by filing the cork to fit in the cup. the adhesive used was plain old Elmers Glue-All. YOu could use Micro Cement (liquid shellack) or contact cement. It doesn't really matter. I did hear from Wayne Tanabe, of the NYC Yamaha Atelier, that natural cork has superior accoustic properties to synthetic rubber or foam. It was demonstrated and I believe it. So, put in a new cork and enjoy the instrument.
Ed Kennedy, Brass Tech, Freelance trumpet player
trumpet.trader
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as I recall the goodies included with the new horn consisted of Al Cass valve oil, Schilke tuning slide grease and a yellow warranty card.

Like I said it’s been years but I don’t remember the blue film on the horns. Must be a new thing.

Speaking of new things, do all the bells have that logo engraving now? It’s so gaudy!! The old Schilkes I’d had never had any engraving except a “B” if it was beryllium and sometimes a serial number on the detachable tuning bells.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: