• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

caruso transposed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: caruso transposed. Reply with quote

Hello Caruso forum.
Ive been practicing Caruso and decided to expand 6 notes but up and down.
I start as written on G and go up by half-step as high as I can. G-C, G#-C#,A-D etc.

Ive also stated using 6 notes to work on my low range just by turning them upside down G-D, F#-C#,F-C etc.

Any one else played around with the 6 notes and transposed them ?
Would love to hear what you do and why !
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing in groups of ascending or descending 6 Notes 6 Notes as high and as low as you can go WITHOUT TAKING THE INSTRUMENT AWAY FROM YOUR EMBOUCHURE for each group? Do I understand your post correctly or have you misunderstood what Caruso wrote?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tptguru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Are you playing in groups of ascending or descending 6 Notes 6 Notes as high and as low as you can go WITHOUT TAKING THE INSTRUMENT AWAY FROM YOUR EMBOUCHURE for each group? Do I understand your post correctly or have you misunderstood what Caruso wrote?

each 6 notes are repeated once then horn taken of the face before moving on to next half step
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie Frink and John McNeil have lots of transposed patterns of the 6 notes in their great book, Flexus. It's a must have book.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I don't think they advise taking the 6-Note exercise and playing it up and down the entire range of the horn.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I get the impression he is playing G-G#-A-A#-B-C then G#-A-A#B-C-C#-D etc. to as high as you can go and then the similar pattern (in reverse) down to Pedal X.

That would be at least may be 20 6-Note exercises ascending and then maybe 20 going down. Is that the intention?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie at first had me do the six notes the standard way, from 2nd line G to 3rd space C. After a while we did it downward from 2nd line G to low C. After more time, she added from 3rd space C to 4th space E. Then we did it from 4th space E to G just above the staff. Then we went back to starting on 3rd space C and taking it to G above the staff. Then we went from 2nd line G all the way up to G above the staff (that one was a bear!). Then we did it from G above the staff to high C (2 ledger lines). Then we finally did it from 2nd line G all the way to high C. Please understand, this took us many months to work our way up to that. Most of it is there in the Flexus book, but as I got more advanced, Laurie had me extend it even more than is in the book.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, were those higher and lower 6-note units in place of, or added to, the original exercises?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only did 1 or two of the exercises at a time, the original 6 notes exercise (which was almost always the first exercise of the day), and whichever other one had been assigned for that lesson. As you implied in a earlier post, if we tried to do all the different permutations in one day, there wouldn't be time for anything else.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably spent about three years visiting Carmine for lessons. Over that time I witnessed many others being taught in his little studio, I never witnessed anyone playing a range other than concert F through Bb.

I did see many variations on durations and articulations but always in the original range. I ended up playing once through, 12 counts for each note, as soft as possible.

I can see some students who might benefit from playing the Six Notes in a different range or descending rather than ascending. Still, I think once is enough. It's meant to set you up for what follows in your practice routine. Do it and move on would be my suggestion.

Alan
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alan says, as far as I know, Caruso himself never had students do the 6 notes in any register other than from G to C. I also studied with Carmine for a few years, as Alan did, and later studied a few years with Laurie. It was Laurie who prescribed playing the 6 notes in other registers, not Caruso. Hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperdean wrote:
I probably spent about three years visiting Carmine for lessons. Over that time I witnessed many others being taught in his little studio, I never witnessed anyone playing a range other than concert F through Bb.

I did see many variations on durations and articulations but always in the original range. I ended up playing once through, 12 counts for each note, as soft as possible.

I can see some students who might benefit from playing the Six Notes in a different range or descending rather than ascending. Still, I think once is enough. It's meant to set you up for what follows in your practice routine. Do it and move on would be my suggestion.

Alan

It's always fascinating how Caruso tailored his teaching for different students. Alan Dean, a great player, says that Caruso told him to play the 6 notes as soft as possible. He always told me to play them at "room temperature", which in Caruso speak, means not loud, not soft, just the volume that you would play if you weren't trying to play loud or soft. Interestingly enough, after I had spent a couple of years with Carmine, he did have me play the intervals as soft as possible, but never the 6 notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: