• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Holy Grail” horn stand?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLY CRAP!!!

Guys and trumpet players...

I have to believe a lot of the great suggestions and remedies for leaving the horn unprotected in an open environment come from people who don't do a lot of playing in the same... Not for any coin, at least. So; your horn is screwed up during break/intermission by someone else- NOW WHAT?

I posted a while back about breaking the leadpipe screw that puts my P5-5 into A, so the pipe would only slide all the way in (Bb), just as Bolero (Ravel) was beginning, on-stage with about 1100 people in the house. (And I broke the screw myself, or at leat it gave way when I tightened it for those of you looking to cast blame elsewhere.) I was fortunate to have 5 minutes or so to retranspose D to Bb (no bfd if you've done the pic part) but if we were doing Mahler 2 or something- now what???

Jezze! If playing means anything to you at all, and you also feel a duty and responsibility to those you are playing with, take all matters to protect your axe upon yourself. This thread has certainly come up with a ton of crazy ideas... No offense to you, Brad, you came to the right conclusion about 3 pages back.

Damn.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
HOLY CRAP!!!

I'm wondering why this thread is getting to you so badly. Mountain, meet mole hill.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
It's easy to be cavalier until it happens to you. Maybe I'm overprotective, but as I said horn damage has happened to me and many others that I have performed with, so maybe there are just a bunch of gorillas on stage out here. Whatever. It doesn't really matter the cost of the horn, it's more about being without my main horn in a busy season (these things never happen in the off season, Murphy always wins). If we're going for over-the-top analogies, how about "I've run with scissors for years and never fallen, why worry?"

The worst is when a horn left on stage during a break is stolen. Happened once I can remember with a band I was in and the thief was never caught. Rare, sure, but again why take the chance?

I do agree the venue plays some part; less concern with the orchestra (stage removed from audience) than a cramped band gig with wires everywhere, knees and stands touching, and audience chairs all around the stage.

In any event it's unlikely anyone is going to convince the other side. - Don

It HAS happened to me. I still think that the odds are overall in my favor.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Craig Swartz wrote:
HOLY CRAP!!!

I'm wondering why this thread is getting to you so badly. Mountain, meet mole hill.

Same here. Several decades worth. And yes, I do get paid. I don't see getting upset over what someone else does with their horn. After all, it's their horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: