• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finger Dexterity

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using alternative fingers to strengthen the third finger.

In Clarke's Technical Studies, the Second Study, (for example) by employing alternative fingers we can strengthen the third finger and develop greater coordination of the fingers.

In #36 of the Second Study in E by using the 3rd valve for all A's and E's the 1st valve is not employed. In #34 by using the alternative fingerings the 1st valve is down all the way. In #27-29 use the 3rd valve for all low A's and E's. The same with #37 & #39 all A's & E's use 3rd valve. From #40 on use normal fingerings. By creatively using alternative fingerings in our velocity routines we gain greater coordination and confidence when playing difficult passages.

lh wrote:

1. When you can do this evenly, switch and play it left-handed until even as well. Your right hand control will improve significantly.

2. Practise same exercises, but play staccato and finger ahead.... Again very slowly and with each hand.

3. ... rotate the trumpet 180 degrees, and play with your fingernails on the upstroke. Bizarre perhaps, but it will clean up your finger technique!
ws tpt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Finger Dexterity Reply with quote

To add to some of the great previous replies, below are some that I alternate in my daily practice routine (along with the standard Clarke, Arban & Schlossberg drills). These are:

1. Klose 209 Finger Drills (originally by H. Klose for clarinet), adapted for trumpet and available from qpress.
2. Pivot System Daily Finger Dexterity Drills (#9) by Dr. Donald S. Reinhardt. Rich Willey, super nice guy, a TH forum moderator, jazz trumpet player and publisher (Boptism Music) showed me this drill and its execution several years ago. And finally,
2. Mart Avant of the Tuscaloosa Horns mentions a set of finger drills he utilizes as part of his practice from the John McNeil book *Jazz Trumpet Techniques*. After getting the book, I contacted him and he specifically mentions a 4 page group of exercise that begin on page 78. Practiced daily these really help with odd finger combinations and have helped my sight reading.
I hope these are helpful, All the best,
WS Tpt
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
Books are fine, but you can use a little imagination and practice the vocabulary of music: scales, chords, intervals.

Practice scales in all forms: ascending, descending, 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, developed a la Caruso, Clarke-like patterns (how many variations can you come up with?), other patterns.

In coming up with stuff to practice, use some imagination and think about the vocabulary of music.

When dealing with finger technique, the more neutral and relaxed, the better. The position your hand takes when it's resting at your side is the most efficient. Use this as a model. It's pretty common to see that shape and exaggerate it into a claw-like shape, which introduces tension. Relaxed is best and your body can teach you if you let it. Hang your arms at your side, shake out the tension, and use that position for your fingers. It might be very slightly flatter than what you believe is correct/textbook. Watch Maurice Andre play and see how relaxed his right hand is.

In his Method book (in 'Holding the trumpet' part) Franquin advocates something similar, that is not pressing down with the fingertips:

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: