• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

RB HAll Tenth Regiment March

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doublebell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: RB HAll Tenth Regiment March Reply with quote

When R.B. Hall was in Albany, NY he dedicated a march to the 10th Regiment Band. In North America it is called the Tenth Regiment March. In the brass band world it is called Death or Glory. I have not been able to find the reason for the alternate name. Can anyone help?
Bach Strad 7 trpt #1525
Olds Studio trpt,
Getzen Field Trpt
DEG Pocket Cornet
DEG Signature Cornet
Getzen 800S Cornet
Getzen 3850 Cornet
Yamaha 6335 Cornet
Holton 5v dblbell euph
Conn 19I euph
Besson 967GSS euph
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a blurb online:

Quote:
The American composer, cornet virtuoso and conductor Robert Browne Hall (1858-1907) is still remembered for his fine marches such as 'Officer of the Day', 'The New Colonial' and 'Death or Glory'. The latter was dedicated to the Tenth Regiment Band of Albany, New York. In 1900 R.B.Hall was invited to become conductor of this band which was in great difficulties. For Hall it was touch and go (Death of Glory!). In less than one year's time Hall managed to bring the band back to the top: The Tenth Regiment Band was invited to perform at the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo where also the Sousa Band gave a series of concerts. It is logical that this march expresses Hall's appropriate pride and joy.

There are many more (DuckDuckGo or Google is your friend) but they all say pretty much the same; he took over the financially "struggling" Tenth Regiment Band and brought them back to life. The march Death or Glory! reflects the struggle and was dedicated to the band.
doublebell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death or Glory seems to be a British name. Gordon Bowie, in Appendix B of his Phd thesis, lists "Tenth Regiment, 1895 (Death or Glory, 1958)". He does not explain in the text. He does not mention it in his later R.B. Hall and His Bands. Unfortunately Dr. Bowie has passed away.

I have been in contact with the Bagaduce Music Lending Library in Blue Hill, Maine. They do not know the origin of the alternate name. They put me in contact with several others who also could not answer my question.
Bach Strad 7 trpt #1525
Olds Studio trpt,
Getzen Field Trpt
DEG Pocket Cornet
DEG Signature Cornet
Getzen 800S Cornet
Getzen 3850 Cornet
Yamaha 6335 Cornet
Holton 5v dblbell euph
Conn 19I euph
Besson 967GSS euph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: