• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Plastic Trumpets

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

What is the current "best" plastic trumpet?
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None. For $150, the price of a "new" plastic trumpet, you can get something like an old King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, or a number of other horns that will play so much better, including this Olds Ambassador in the marketplace: https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=103195&s=TRUMPET--Olds-Ambassador
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:

Tromba, but they are not 100% plastic. They have stainless steel pistons and brass leadpipes.
Smokin Joe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have one!
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I get the notion to sell off my plastic Tromba trumpet, I pick it up and play it for a while, and then realize that I kind of like the thing. That being said, I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that one might do better with a good Olds ambassador or 50s or 60s conn or holton. Good can be cheap.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
None. For $150, the price of a "new" plastic trumpet, you can get something like an old King Cleveland, Holton Collegiate, or a number of other horns that will play so much better, including this Olds Ambassador in the marketplace: https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=103195&s=TRUMPET--Olds-Ambassador

Yes!
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "best"?

I have tried Tiger, Allora (Tromba), and pTrumpet. I prefer the only one that is all plastic, the pTrumpet.

I wanted a plastic trumpet for its lightness and relative durability to easily carry around for certain situations. The Allora is relatively heavy with its standard valves and leadpipe. And its plastic seems very brittle and easily breakable. However, the Allora is probably the closest to sounding like a metal trumpet.

The Tiger has - what, aluminum valves? They seem awfully problematic and the horn, to me, is the worst sounding of the three.

I have and use the pTrumpet every now and then. It has given me no trouble and is very easy to take along. I find it useful in my situation.
Tritone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer depends on what you're looking for.

First, if you're looking for something that is light in weight, won't make you sell a family member if it gets stolen, and doesn't require a lot of care, a plastic horn may work just fine for you. If not, a conventional horn would be a better choice. I settled on the Allora (Tromba) from the various makes available, and for a horn that meets these needs, it's not that bad.

That said, this is certainly NOT my main horn. The valves are not fast and they clank. The horn is only plastic, so it may not stand up to a a trombonist sitting on it. The intonation isn't awful, surprisingly to me. Accordingly, I would never perform on a plastic axe unless there were a truly compelling reason for doing so, and I surely hope that one never arises -- but maybe you have something else in mind (like vacation use, a trip to a high-theft part of the world, a gift for someone who is happy to simply make trumpet-ish noise, etc.).
OldKing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are the single biggest change, in my mind, since I picked the horn back up after a decades-long sabbatical.

'Don't own one, but I'm already over them. Stupid. The guy borrowing one down the line at rehearsal tonight was commenting on how it matched his shoes.

I'm out.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
iiipopes wrote:

Yes!

Thanks!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: plastic trumpets Reply with quote

I bought one over a year ago while I was looking for a pro type horn to restart after a logn layoff. They will wear out pretty quick. Mine was missing a cork in one of the spit valves. I would do as the people who recommend finding something cheaper in real brass are saying. You should be able to find someting passable just by hitting a few pawn shops or finding one in the marketplace here. That's just MHO
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Allora/Tromba C trumpet that I use for busking and when I play with a particular group that has pretty rowdy gigs. It is in tune with itself but it is flat even with the slide all the way in. Plays about as well as a beginner or perhaps intermediate instrument.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I v got a allora cornet for my son and is not worh the money (170€) .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

Thanks for your ideas. I bought the Tromba and find it works well in blending with the recordings I am using. My Bachs and Getzens are too overpowering with the recordings. At least the folks at the Assisted Living Campuses like it.

I just wondered if I could improve on the Tromba.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:

The one professional classical soloists and symphonic players use for important paid professional concerts.

Plastic trumpets are a novelty. They exist because people will buy them not because of their usefulness as musical instruments. They might have a use in some street playing situation - clown band or whatever - where visual colorfulness and concern about damage is more important than sound.

If sound is a consideration there's no such thing as a good plastic trumpet - which includes horns with carbon fiber parts.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
DNMH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

I am not looking for a comparison of horns, I have the Bachs, Benge, Getzens, etc. and play symphonically.

I just wanted to see if there is a 'best" plastic, because this Tromba blends best with my Bluetooth speakers, smartphone and George Lewis Tracks.

Think it would help if folks would just answer the question and not try to denigrate and educate.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so you have a Tromba.

While I believe the Tromba may sound the "best" of the three I've tried, I chose the pTrumpet. The sound was good enough and the all-plastic construction made it the "best" for my intended usage.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
this Tromba blends best with my Bluetooth speakers, smartphone and George Lewis Tracks.

I'm curious what you mean by this - in what way/sense does it blend best with Bluetooth speakers, etc.?

Quote:
it would help if folks would just answer the question and not try to denigrate and educate.

You provided no parameters whatsoever other than "what is the best". To be honest the particular criteria you've now provided seem nondescript to me. How is anyone supposed to know which of a pool of inadequate sounding horns you're going to like with that particular setup? If you're talking about recording yourself playing along to tracks, your basic setup is inadequate.

Based on the criteria I'd apply to any other horn I gave the most accurate reply I can - all plastic trumpets suck.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
DNMH wrote:
this Tromba blends best with my Bluetooth speakers, smartphone and George Lewis Tracks.

I'm curious what you mean by this - in what way/sense does it blend best with Bluetooth speakers, etc.?

In an earlier post he makes clear that he's playing along with recordings when performing at a nursing home. The OP has determined that the plastic horn has a more suitable presence for that venue.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Plastic Trumpets Reply with quote

DNMH wrote:
I am not looking for a comparison of horns, I have the Bachs, Benge, Getzens, etc. and play symphonically.

I just wanted to see if there is a 'best" plastic, because this Tromba blends best with my Bluetooth speakers, smartphone and George Lewis Tracks.

Think it would help if folks would just answer the question and not try to denigrate and educate.

I have not tried the Tromba...only the ptrumpet. I think in the setting you describe, not sure if the ptrumpet will be dramatically different (or better).

All the best,

Jr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: