• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Secondary Instruments and Their Benefits

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DutyBugler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Secondary Instruments Reply with quote

A few years ago I picked up mandolin and started playing and singing. This has helped my intonation on trumpet immensely. And although my mandolin and singing is folk and bluegrass, it has helped my jazz playing. I guess just because it has helped my ear.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be both a pianist and violist, and I dabble in amateur singing.

I still practice next to a piano to sound out chord voicings and check my intonation. But I've totally lost any performance faculty on the instrument. Piano is invaluable nonetheless. (I should learn to comp...)

The viola... the less said about that the better.

I love singing, and it's so darned good for the ear. When you can accurately sing a descending major seventh ("I Love You" by Cole Porter) then you can hit it when you play, and you can hit it when you improvise. That's my experience anyway.

Cheers!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played guitar and bass guitar for two decades. It has helped me in a ton of ways but two ways in particular is solo phrasings and understanding/appreciating the rhythm section more.

Oh...and when my chops get tired...I just pick up my guitar and keep playing!
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Secondary Instruments and Their Benefits Reply with quote

Alex.Witt wrote:
Hi,
I am primarily a horn player but have used trumpet to enter the jazz world. I have played it for 9 years and I have found that playing it has helped my high register on my horn. I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences, both good or bad?

I doubled on the horn for about ten years. It tends to play like a.valve trombone with a trumpet mouthpiece. In fact all I played was the B flat side. Which by itself plays exactly the same pitches and fingerings as the ValveTrombone. Or Euphonium. I just didnt like the fuzzy tone on the F side. Too much tubing!

As I had already doubled on low brass for many years I found there to be no transition problems. Unlike the low brass back to trumpet issues. Indeed switching from F Horn back to Trumpet similar to switching back and forth from Flugel. In other words no problems.

The main concern is left handed valve technique, reading F Horn parts and accuracy. The reading and left hand matters resolved well through simple playing and repetition. On accuracy I already had an advantage. This due to having considerable experience in both the upper register of the trumpet and Trombone.

I agree that trumpet playing is useful for horn players. In fact its helpful for other lower brass instruments. My experience with trombonists is that most of them never really build solid upper registers. "Tommy Dorsey" types usually only found in the top notch clubs and bands. Which is a shame. As plenty more amateurs could truly excel on both the low brass and F Horn. If they just got serious about developing some real chops.

Trumpet players dont have that luxury. Even the amateurs gotta get some serious embouchure development.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing violin with the kids and I'm a truly horrible violinist. It's part of what drew me to return to trumpet ("can play in tune and sound good!"). My wife is pretty excited that I'm basically giving up on violin But I did learn a lot from it and it gave me a new insight into music in general. Tempted to try mandolin, as one of the players above did....
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Secondary Instruments and Their Benefits Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
I agree that trumpet playing is useful for horn players. In fact its helpful for other lower brass instruments. My experience with trombonists is that most of them never really build solid upper registers. "Tommy Dorsey" types usually only found in the top notch clubs and bands. Which is a shame. As plenty more amateurs could truly excel on both the low brass and F Horn. If they just got serious about developing some real chops.

Trumpet players dont have that luxury. Even the amateurs gotta get some serious embouchure development.

When I've doubled on the French horn it takes a few weeks to get my technique dialed in. Accuracy, range and endurance are nonissues for me on the Horn, though my very low range could use some development. As an aside I was told by a local Horn pro that the very worst Horn students are trumpet players. I laughed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle posted:

Quote:
I used to be both a pianist and violist, and I dabble in amateur singing.

I still practice next to a piano to sound out chord voicings and check my intonation. But I've totally lost any performance faculty on the instrument. Piano is invaluable nonetheless. (I should learn to comp...)

The viola... the less said about that the better.

I love singing, and it's so darned good for the ear. When you can accurately sing a descending major seventh ("I Love You" by Cole Porter) then you can hit it when you play, and you can hit it when you improvise. That's my experience anyway.

That's my experience as well. The piano really facilitates understanding of chords, arpeggios and scales. Singing really helps you to learn to concentrate on pitches.

For what it is worth, harmonica, recorder and autoharp don't seem to help with anything.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: