• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dramatic embouchure change with interesting results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oceandrive

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Dramatic embouchure change with interesting results Reply with quote

Hi Mr. Smiley,
in past
I was applying more kind of slightly rolled out embouchure.
Today I changed the gap, created the chop setup which i have when i play a "maultrommel"(german), fastly moving slim part of metal before opening of mouth. widely curled tongue with rolled in lip setting. my mpc is then higher on chops. I was able to play up to high Eb, but sound was very good, very resonant and less air in the sound, pure, and I could play the notes loud and soft.
But the mpc was less cushioned to the before setting and was less pleasant on lips. I used a mpc with an inner diameter similar to a 5c/6c bach. I was astonished of the power and loudness i had suddenly.
it seemed to me that i do what you describe in your book and i thought i can for the first ever successfully play BE. it seems to be more balanced.j
I have some questions now.
1. should i go for a smaller diameter mpc?
2. how can i reduce the unpleasant feeling of pressure on top lip(my mpc has a not thick rim)- with air pockets maybe?
3. how can i increase range with my new setting?
Thanks, Chris
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you have found a useful setup. I am unclear about the details, because your description is hard to understand. I assume that English is not your native language. But you are excited. Fun, isn't it?

1. should i go for a smaller diameter mpc?

Nobody can answer that. You need to experiment to find out.

2. how can i reduce the unpleasant feeling of pressure on top lip(my mpc has a not thick rim)- with air pockets maybe?

I would need to understand this better to give specific advice.

3. how can i increase range with my new setting?

Keep mastering and adding exercises from the book!

Jeff
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

With regards to the mouthpiece, I had a similar experience last year. I was also playing a 5 diameter mouthpiece, with a relatively narrow and rounded rim. It had served me well for more than ten years, but once my playing changed to a more rolled in setting, the rim became less comfortable, mainly on my top lip.

Maybe it will just take some time to get used to it and you don't have to change mouthpieces. However, if after a couple of weeks or months it is still uncomfortable, maybe experimenting with a different mouthpiece will give you some valuable feedback. What worked for me, was changing to a wider (and also more flat) rim design. This is another thing you could look into, next to a change in diameter.

Ko
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrios wrote:
Hi Chris,

With regards to the mouthpiece, I had a similar experience last year. I was also playing a 5 diameter mouthpiece, with a relatively narrow and rounded rim. It had served me well for more than ten years, but once my playing changed to a more rolled in setting, the rim became less comfortable, mainly on my top lip.

Maybe it will just take some time to get used to it and you don't have to change mouthpieces. However, if after a couple of weeks or months it is still uncomfortable, maybe experimenting with a different mouthpiece will give you some valuable feedback. What worked for me, was changing to a wider (and also more flat) rim design. This is another thing you could look into, next to a change in diameter.

Ko

Interesting with the mouthpiece changes that seem to go with the BE method. Myself, I spent 35 years with Bach 1 1/4, then another 10 years with variants of Schilke (14). Having begun with the BE method in January 2016 I went from regular 14 to a custom made 14 D (deeper), some kind of oscillation during spring 2016 ´cause my endurance on this deeper piece was not up to par til I finally settled for a Denis Wick 7c Ultra - diam 16,25 rounded rim, in June 2016. The Bach/Schilke 17,09 diameter or something flatter rim). This was to my Getzen Custom series Cornet. Finally I found a Stork Studio Master VMS6 also 16,25 medium shallow V -cup rim semi-rounded for trumpet lead.
Previous in my "blowing life" never ever able to play that kind of diameter. Or that deep pieces!
My experience was that doing the BE changed something fundamental chops-wise. During that spring I could notice changes week by week. Endurance and ease of playing became obvious. Having been behind a horn since 1959.
So indeed a dramatic impact!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: