• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The three

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troubleclef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: The three Reply with quote

I had my second lesson tonight. I am really enjoying it and I feel like I am making progress. My teacher is giving me a great base to work with. He's got me working on breathing, tonguing and time. What I am finding is that when I get one thing right one of the other three suffers. Any tips on getting everything to work together?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, lots of it. I know that sounds simplistic, but part of the process is muscle memory, it takes a while for that to happen. Example: you play a third space C, it feels and sounds stable, centered and clear. It takes a while before your facial muscles and breath “remember” what it feels like to reproduce that sound and feel. Practice and repetition.

If you’re enjoying it, GREAT, that’s IMPORTANT.

Have fun!

Brad
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. You cannot focus on more than one thing.
Following what your teacher has you doing:
Breath, and get the feel for his instruction, then and the next step (tonging, according to your post). The first step (breathing) continues as instructed as you add the next, and so forth. Over time you develop habits (hopefully, good ones) that run on autopilot as you focus on time and musicality.

With my students I have a similar instruction about what to focus on:
1. Breath and produce a good tone (this becomes understood and automatic)-reinforced daily during Warm-Up/Routine/Drills
2. Focus on time/rhythm, primarily. Putting things in the right place. Then as you advance this incorporates aspects of musicality.
3. Play the right notes. (If you continue to work and listen, by the time you are very consistent with placement, timing, and a musical approach, you should find that most of the fingering issues have taken care of themselves) All the while your focus is on time/rhythm.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tone production. Nice, relaxed, easy tone production. First and foremost. If that is established you can put most of your mind on the other issues you seek to improve.

Most of us, regardless of all the multitasking BS we hear about, can really only concentrate on one thing at a time. Sound is the first thing we need to have, since music is aural. Flight of the Bumblebee, or a simple aria will sound like crap if the tone quality isn't there, regardless of the technique and range exhibited. The longterm goal should eventually be to make music. To do so, one must have the other fundamentals under control and of a second nature or it's impossible to be concerned with the music. So...

Sound, btw, would include the type and style of articulation very soon. Do a lot of listening to good players, learn to begin tones according to the style of the music rather than just trying to emulate something written on the paper. It'll all come with experience. Good luck- it's great you have a teacher and some attainable goals.
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herbert Clarke in his book "Setting Up Drills" list 7 basic physical elements that must be developed to play correctly. Those 7 elements listed in importance are no.1 Wind Power, no.2 the Tongue, 3. Wind Control, no.4 the Muscles Surrounding the Lips, 5. the Lips, 6. the Fingers of the Right Hand and no.7 the Left Hand.

The reason we must practice a variety of types of exercises is that the 7 physical elements can't all be developed at the same time. Some can, maybe a couple together but the mind can't full concentrate on more than one item at a time. So we practice a whole variety of exercises in the developing of one or more of these 7 elements until they start to work and coordinate together. They must coordinate and work together until it becomes a habit.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
Tone production. Nice, relaxed, easy tone production. First and foremost. If that is established you can put most of your mind on the other issues you seek to improve.

Most of us, regardless of all the multitasking BS we hear about, can really only concentrate on one thing at a time. Sound is the first thing we need to have, since music is aural. Flight of the Bumblebee, or a simple aria will sound like crap if the tone quality isn't there, regardless of the technique and range exhibited. The longterm goal should eventually be to make music. To do so, one must have the other fundamentals under control and of a second nature or it's impossible to be concerned with the music. So...

Sound, btw, would include the type and style of articulation very soon. Do a lot of listening to good players, learn to begin tones according to the style of the music rather than just trying to emulate something written on the paper. It'll all come with experience. Good luck- it's great you have a teacher and some attainable goals.

troubleclef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your insights. They are valuable. Lots of good stuff to chew on here l.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

practice. right now you have an embarrassment of riches and rapid progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: