• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Self taught trumpet practise schedule advice - beginner

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my publications have lesson plans
https://bolvinmusic.com/product-category/publications/

I recommend Tongue Level & Air, The Arban Manual and The Progressive Warm-up.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am going to give an alternate view.

First of all I am going to say you need to see a teacher to correct any bad habits you have but how do you raise the 25 quid you need for that lesson.

Get out of the house find somewhere you can listen to yourself, I chose an underpass stinking of piss, but I could hear every error.

Learn to generate the sweetest tones you can, long tones pure and sweet tones. Learn around 5 melodies that you like hearing that are in your range, play them lower than they are written to put them in your range if you have to, choose melodies that are easy to finger.

Polish them until they sound great, practice smooth musical playing. You sound like a beginner because you are practicing exercises that make you sound like a beginner, practice music that makes you sound like a good player.

When you have 5 tunes you can play well go to town and play them on the streets people will give you money simply for playing music.

Read this http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=3373

Will you make money? The first time I simply buzzed on a mouthpiece I was given money for it, the first time I played a simple c major scale I was given money for doing that. Yes you will make money.

If you only have a few tunes you can play well I recommend walking around and practice them as you walk, you get plenty of rests doing this, allow people to invite you to play and ask them if they can spare a few coins for a tune. Try to have something romantic, something bluesy, something popular.

When you have 25 quid use it to pay for a lesson.

If you take a while to raise the money you will get a lesson in confidence and performing, if you have the guts to do it. If you raise it quick you get a trumpet lesson quick, either way round you get a lesson, its a win win.

Music is why we play so practice playing music its where the fun is and where the audience appreciation is.

Nothing will perk you up more than getting applause and nothing will compare with the self respect you will have by making money just practicing and playing the music you love. You will be practicing and being paid for it, what could be better.

I went busking on the first day I picked up an instrument, some people may laugh at you but that doesnt matter thats their problem, most people love to see a trumpeter walk the streets and play. I have played a duet with a piper and that was magical. You will gain moments you will treasure.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely self taught as, back in the day, I was raised in a southeastern Georgia town and hundred's of miles from "a Teacher" so I had no choice but to teach myself. We had ni internet and no YouTube so there was no SKYPE etc. I was given a Herbert L. Clarke Technical Studies For The Cornet book, a Schlossberg book and an Arban's book. I just practiced for hours and hours and (I suppose) had a natural knack for it. I played first chair in everything ... even through college although not a Music Major.

These days, you have Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach which lays out a lesson per week in conjunction with six other trumpet methods including Herbert L. Clarke, Charle Colin ad nauseum. You also have William Adam Routines book which also has his various routines laid out.

I have had two private lessons from two different professional players in the Cincinnati area (both occurring after the age of 53) with both players stating that I am doing just fine with my approach, sound etc.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend taking at least a few lessons with a GOOD teacher, who plays like you want to play. Otherwise you are going to turn to the community for advice (case in point)— most of which is only good enough to make you average.
Jordynbaxter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Ok I am going to give an alternate view.

First of all I am going to say you need to see a teacher to correct any bad habits you have but how do you raise the 25 quid you need for that lesson.

Get out of the house find somewhere you can listen to yourself, I chose an underpass stinking of piss, but I could hear every error.

Learn to generate the sweetest tones you can, long tones pure and sweet tones. Learn around 5 melodies that you like hearing that are in your range, play them lower than they are written to put them in your range if you have to, choose melodies that are easy to finger.

Polish them until they sound great, practice smooth musical playing. You sound like a beginner because you are practicing exercises that make you sound like a beginner, practice music that makes you sound like a good player.

When you have 5 tunes you can play well go to town and play them on the streets people will give you money simply for playing music.

Read this http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=3373

Will you make money? The first time I simply buzzed on a mouthpiece I was given money for it, the first time I played a simple c major scale I was given money for doing that. Yes you will make money.

If you only have a few tunes you can play well I recommend walking around and practice them as you walk, you get plenty of rests doing this, allow people to invite you to play and ask them if they can spare a few coins for a tune. Try to have something romantic, something bluesy, something popular.

When you have 25 quid use it to pay for a lesson.

If you take a while to raise the money you will get a lesson in confidence and performing, if you have the guts to do it. If you raise it quick you get a trumpet lesson quick, either way round you get a lesson, its a win win.

Music is why we play so practice playing music its where the fun is and where the audience appreciation is.

Nothing will perk you up more than getting applause and nothing will compare with the self respect you will have by making money just practicing and playing the music you love. You will be practicing and being paid for it, what could be better.

I went busking on the first day I picked up an instrument, some people may laugh at you but that doesnt matter thats their problem, most people love to see a trumpeter walk the streets and play. I have played a duet with a piper and that was magical. You will gain moments you will treasure.

Some baws on you lol fair play mate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: