• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Nervous shaky playing during solos

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you focus on a few simple things as the solo approaches: Good posture. Good breathing. Be still, and don't fidget. Think of the sound with which you want to play. Get the tempo in your head. As you play, think of the notes coming up and where you're going with each phrase.

The more concentration you devote to useful things like this, the less bandwidth you'll have for thinking about stage fright, nervousness, what others think, etc. Nervousness will still show up, but it doesn't have to take over.
Piccolo Stomvi
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin53 wrote:
Beta Blockers can have quite a few side effects. Google is easy.
They do work but I think they should be a last resort and used sparingly.

One of the POSSIBLE side effects is Peyronie's Disease. That will put a kink in your lifestyle. You dudes might be interested in this.
http://peyronies-disease-help.com/beta-blockers-peyronies-disease-2/
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/10044-peyronies-disease

There are many resources on dealing with performance anxiety.
It is no fun to try to play the trumpet with a dry mouth, shaking body, and unsteady air supply. I've had that experience with the trumpet and other activities too.

I hope the OP can get the information and or help in overcoming this nervousness. It can be done.

The dosage one takes for stage fright is likely to not cause issues. An MD asked me what dosage I was taking (20mg), and he was surprised the dosage was so low. I actually used to take 10mg tablets, but when another MD I know agreed to take over doing my prescription, he said he himself takes 20mg when he has to do public speaking. A late colleague from my chamber orchestra took beta blockers for high blood pressure, and I forget what dosage she told me she took, but it was much, much higher, and she took it every day.

But, I do agree with you that it's better not to take them.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just performing a lot in public will go a long way toward overcoming stage fright. The more you get used to public performing the less nervousness you'll have. It can take awhile so be patient. Performing regularly in public is the key.
S Koons
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my advice, but you should know that I'm a very amateur player- not a pro, and far from one. You said that at band rehearsal you play really well in your section, but fall apart on solos. Most of the suggestions here are to desensitize yourself to the nervousness by playing more in public.

I agree that you should desensitize, but I think you need to do this very gradually. Instead of forcing yourself to play solos for the whole band or a band concert audience, I suggest starting by playing duets or brass quintet music just with friends. That's like a solo in the sense that everybody hears you, but at first only a few friends will be there. Once you're almost comfortable, stretch yourself gradually. Use your imagination. Someone suggested playing at an old age home. Perhaps you could just practice in the band room at a time when a few people will be coming and going. If you build your confidence gradually, playing solos won't feel so strange, and you'll have experience being heard without falling apart.

One last thought- are you nervous about entrances? They can be scarier than the notes. I've experienced this, especially in orchestra. In a band section, you can fudge an entrance. But you can't on a solo. If that contributes to your nervousness, spend some time listening to your music so you'll hear when to come in without relying entirely on counting.

-SK
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falado wrote:
Hi, I recommend this book to my students who continually suffer from performance anxiety. It's called The Inner Game Of Music.

Hope this helps, Dave

https://www.amazon.com/Inner-Game-Music-Barry-Green-ebook/dp/B007JK9A28/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

+1 however I would recommend the original book The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothy Gallery having read both books.
BrassEnthusiast16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everybody for the advice I will definitely consider all of it. I am young I am just a junior in high school and this was my first year as first chair. Unfortunately I'm not first chair anymore because my director gave it to a sophomore who was more confident. I still play first trumpet, just not the solos. I remember at the beginning of the year I confronted my director about my nervousness and he said I shouldn't think about it because he knew I could do it since he considered me the best in the section. When I did have solos, I believe the entrances and notes I had to hold longer than a quarter note were my problems. Quarter and eighth notes were easier since there was hardly any time for shaking but on longer notes I would shake uncontrollably although at times I would choke on some notes. People in the bang now know me as the one player who shakes which also hinders my confidence or my will to attempt again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: