• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WHY PRACTICE LIP SLURS?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueDevil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Matt.
dave belknap
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: lip slurs Reply with quote

Employing the Max Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies For Trumpet, I play (every day, without fail) the following lip slur numbers for warmup and cool down:
14, 15, 18, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 32, and 35. The rest period beween each exercise should approximate the time that was required to play the preceeding exercise. They are boring, time consuming and VERY EFFECTIVE!! They should be played in numerical order, exactly as written. I have been playing these same exercises in this exact order, for 60+ years. If I could find anything that is more interesting or more "fun" to play, that worked as well for me, I would have changed years ago. I have had "iron chops" since the age of nine, which I credit to the Schlossberg Studies, which I first received in hand written form, from Harry Freistadt, Mr. Schlossberg's son in law

Dave Belknap
Trumpet
Local 47 AF of M
Hollywood, CA
SPITTY
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you NOT practice lip slurs! They are absolutely essential to playing the instrument. You cannot play a fast ascending A minor 7 chord without having great flexibility, you also cannot play a fast ascending E major 7 or E minor 7 chord with proper lip slurring technique, unless you tongue every note, just for two examples, there are many others.

Also they buidl your chops up like nothing else can.

Cheers,
Spitty
breden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bumping an old thread however really pleased to say that I've been following the Dave Belknap routine for Schlossberg daily with great results. Before then I utilized Frink's daily routine and have now switched to the Belknap series of exercises. Really does a great job of building the embouchure. I usually throw in a couple of Frink exercises at the end and add some Clark tonguing and am ready for the day. For the Schlossberg set - I have all 15 exercises copied (also in order so to avoid page turns). We will see how this goes but its tough to argue with a guy who made his living as a trumpet player in LA. Really great that he posted his routine at Trumpet Herald years ago.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

breden wrote:
Sorry for bumping an old thread however really pleased to say that I've been following the Dave Belknap routine for Schlossberg daily with great results. Before then I utilized Frink's daily routine and have now switched to the Belknap series of exercises. Really does a great job of building the embouchure. I usually throw in a couple of Frink exercises at the end and add some Clark tonguing and am ready for the day. For the Schlossberg set - I have all 15 exercises copied (also in order so to avoid page turns). We will see how this goes but its tough to argue with a guy who made his living as a trumpet player in LA. Really great that he posted his routine at Trumpet Herald years ago.

There is another current thread where a player is also using this as a routine with good result. I started doing it a little over a week or so ago and as long as I try to pay attention to things I notice the next day gets better.

In his explanation he says he does it for warm up and cool down. I cannot manage that if I get a few hours of other work in too. I just play as far as I can and try to get farther next day. I figure if it's a cool down I shouldnt sweat it too much. The guy must have had chops of steel to warm up on it play gigs and use it to cool down. I sure got a way to go to get that down comfortably.

How long did it take you to get there using this? I don't want to start a day with sore chops if it's not necessary.
Rod
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

I have been doing the Sclossberg daily for just on a month now and it seems to be making a difference in my use of air and tongue level and my endurance, i also make sure i rest plenty when doing it.

I do it first thing in the day then rest for an hour or so (i only go to number 29)

The rest of my routine i spread through the day, Colin flexibilities, Clarke Technical, Gordon Systematic approach etc, you get the idea

Regards
EricV
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Z wrote:
I always compare lip slurs to the iron pumping of an bobybuilder.

Builds stregth and flexibility.

I'd consider long tones the "iron pumping" and lip slurs doing the neat stuff you can do with your now-muscly body, jumps and backflips and such things.

So for me, the answer is: Because they're fun!
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the music you perform never requires a slur feel free to not practice them.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a difference between lip slurs and flexibilities. The ones in the first few pages of Schlossburg are slurs and work well for warming up. Irons and Smith are flexibility. Most trumpet players need to practice both types daily in order to play their best. If you don't, then consider yourself lucky.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Thats what i was getting at in my post above, but you said it much better!!

EricV

PS
Check out EBjazz book Flex on the Move on his web site, its a different take on flexibility and fun to play
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I include 2 octave lip slurs in my daily practice for all the reasons mentioned by the other posters above.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave them up for Lent.

Wait. That starts tomorrow. Well, do I get extra credit for starting early?!
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like doing lips slurs cause they sound and feel good.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
If the music you perform never requires a slur feel free to not practice them.

CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that just doing slur exercises doesn’t give me accuracy on slurs especially when descending. Instead I have started doing a few schlossberg exercises then working on a very melodic song. What do you guys think of this approach?
trumpet56
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are one of two ways of changing the pitch on the trumpet. The other is using the valves. Playing music on the trumpet is a combination of both. They have many benefits including flexibililty and being able to connect all registers middle high and low efficiently, so the feel for example of a low C and a a high C is not that different.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt. Z wrote:
I always compare lip slurs to the iron pumping of an bobybuilder.

Builds stregth and flexibility.

who needs strength and flexibility.
curious comment from the OP about recording results in a journal. i would throw the thing out. a book is not going to replace your ears. i couldn't verbalize what is going on with my overtones let alone coherently write it down.
free yourself up there lad.
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This along with the Irons book is my slur or flexibility study.
I do these to develop and maintain the proper mechanics involved with changing from note to note and register to register.

Link

These help me develop greater flexibility and help me make my mechanics even more refined.

Link

Best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip slurs are to trumpet practice what push-ups and sit-ups are to bodybuilding practice.
museltof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a really old thread! But I was fascinated by the attitude to lip slur exercises, perhaps I can revive the thread because I think I may have something to offer here. Back in the early 70s my trumpet playing did not seem to be going anywhere, I was okay but only average. Back then here in the UK we had the 'Melody Maker' paper (mostly pop and jazz focus). One day I read a leading trumpet player describing what he practised. Can't now recall who it was, but possibly Kenny Ball or Kenny Baker (Two outstanding Brit trumpeters in their day). He (whoever it was) said you must do lip slurs to improve your range. Bottom C to mid C, then on upwards, ending on top C up to G above top C. I recall thinking I can't go that high but - lo and behold - within 3-5 weeks of starting this slurring exercise I could indeed slur right up to G above top C and it was quite easy to do. From then on, my range indeed went up to G or A above top C, and it was regular, not just on 'good' days!

Sonata Cornet

Bach Elkhart trumpet 100TR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: