• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rhythm site reading books/studies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Rhythm site reading books/studies Reply with quote

Many years back, when in college, I was a pretty good sight reader. Now after many years of voice focus and more years of comeback on the trumpet I want to rebuild my sight reading skills.

Specifically I want to focus on learning rock, jazz and contemporary Christian licks so I don’t have to work so hard.

Clarke studies sort of does this for more traditional music and I would like to find an equivalent to add to my practice.

Any recommendations?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our own Rich Willey ("BeBoppinFool") has some nice books, mostly jazz-oriented but lots of good material. https://www.boptism.com/

HTH - Don
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would point out that Rich puts out the Concone book(s) Doc always recommend, and those are GREAT for sight reading rhythms, as well as developing fundamentals with even tone into the upper register. I mention this because they're not jazz oriented so you'd likely overlook them. Cheap enough to add to the order and add nothing to shipping.

Rich's books are unbeatable value.
plannez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try it on Sight Reading Factory, where there are many different settings. Also, I recommend Sight Reading Trainer and Musicians Page, where you can also conduct different workouts or find useful information.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plannez wrote:
You can try it on Sight Reading Factory, where there are many different settings. Also, I recommend Sight Reading Trainer and Musicians Page, where you can also conduct different workouts or find useful information.

That "Sight Reading Factory" is awesome, never seen that before. Thanks for posting.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: I Second The Sentiment Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
plannez wrote:

That "Sight Reading Factory" is awesome, never seen that before. Thanks for posting.

I agree. I have been looking for various ways to improve my sightreading during my comeback. Thx for sharing.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime of getting some of the method books: play everything. Sightread a hymnal. Sightread piano music. Sightread other treble clef instruments, whether concert pitch or transposed, all the way from oboe to saxophone parts, and the soprano and alto parts of classical music choral arrangements.

Play everything. Start a little slower than the actual tempo marking so you can think ahead. The key is to be fluid and not make mistakes. The technique is not embouchure or fingers or other physical fundamentals, but instead getting the eyes and brain coordinated.

In my high school band, we were not seated according to "tryouts," but by our score on the Watkins-Farnum sight reading test. I scored over 100 on the test, and was still second chair. In my high school choir, we got "I" ratings at state because we started every rehearsal with 10 minutes of sightreading obscure hymns. One year, the judge of sightreading actually stopped us, said we had our "I" rating, and would we sing it again so he would know how it was supposed to go for the rest of his day judging!

Play everything. Start looking for common keys and scales, common or repeating motifs, the contour of a phrase, and start anticipating where everything will go, keeping in mind items such as evaded cadences, augmentations, diminutions, etc., that are there as traps for the unwary. Sing the parts as well as play them. Buzz them on the mouthpiece alone without the horn.

All these techniques make a player a better sight reader.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
In the meantime of getting some of the method books: play everything. Sightread a hymnal. Sightread piano music. Sightread other treble clef instruments, whether concert pitch or transposed, all the way from oboe to saxophone parts, and the soprano and alto parts of classical music choral arrangements.

Play everything. Start a little slower than the actual tempo marking so you can think ahead. The key is to be fluid and not make mistakes. The technique is not embouchure or fingers or other physical fundamentals, but instead getting the eyes and brain coordinated.

In my high school band, we were not seated according to "tryouts," but by our score on the Watkins-Farnum sight reading test. I scored over 100 on the test, and was still second chair. In my high school choir, we got "I" ratings at state because we started every rehearsal with 10 minutes of sightreading obscure hymns. One year, the judge of sightreading actually stopped us, said we had our "I" rating, and would we sing it again so he would know how it was supposed to go for the rest of his day judging!

Play everything. Start looking for common keys and scales, common or repeating motifs, the contour of a phrase, and start anticipating where everything will go, keeping in mind items such as evaded cadences, augmentations, diminutions, etc., that are there as traps for the unwary. Sing the parts as well as play them. Buzz them on the mouthpiece alone without the horn.

All these techniques make a player a better sight reader.

Good advice in general, but as a vocal singer and a long time worship leader, I don't have challenges with any of the hymns or their rhythms.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plannez wrote:

Wow, I have never seen that Sight Reading Factory website before. Very cool! Thanks for posting the link! I'll check out the other links too.
OstinSparks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the resources for learning, especially for that BeBoppin Fool site. That will be very helpful for my college study and skills improvement.
By the way, I also used mysterytomastery for learning basics, but I think that almost everybody heard about this resource.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: