• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions about transcribing solos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casivake718

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Questions about transcribing solos. Reply with quote

When you transcribe solos, should I take a lot of breaks to prevent fatigue chops or no? Is it okay to start getting annoyed by a solo after listening to it many times?
Is it bad to have the sheet music in front of me?
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about transcribing solos. Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
When you transcribe solos, should I take a lot of breaks to prevent fatigue chops or no?

Never play on tired chops if you can avoid it. Work on picking out notes and phrases an octave down if that helps.

One thing I will sometimes do to break things up is work out the rhythm of a line of a phrase independent of the notes, or jump ahead to an area that is in a more manageable range for where my chops are at the time.

casivake718 wrote:
Is it okay to start getting annoyed by a solo after listening to it many times?

Well, you can get annoyed all you want, the solo isn't going to learn itself.

Seriously, "getting annoyed by a solo" usually equals "getting annoyed with myself because I can't work something out". Be honest with yourself - sometimes learning things that are new and different are going to require some hard work and focus.

If you get frustrated with a particular phrase or passage, skip to something more manageable for a bit and come back to the troublesome area later.

Nobody says you have to learn a solo in one sitting, or do it straight from start to finish. Or even learn the whole thing (unless it's an assignment for a lesson or class, of course). Try and learn SOMETHING that you can use...

In my opinion, the best way to learn a solo is (a) pick a solo you really like that explores something you currently don't understand or can't execute; (b) listen to the solo many, many, many times before you begin to learn it on the horn or take pencil to paper (to the point where you can sing along); and (c) make sure to play along with the recording to try and match inflections and articulations that might not be included in your transcription.

casivake718 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean here, so I'll offer answers to two different questions.

What I usually do is count out the number of bars in the solo (including lead-in bars and bars after the end of the last chorus, if applicable), and then mark out bar lines on a blank sheet of manuscript paper (usually 4 to a bar with a section starting a new system). Then I write out the chord changes (if necessary, copying from a lead sheet or other source) if they're available, over each bar of the tune.

After that, it's probably not useful to have the original music/lead sheet in front of you. (In my opinion.)

If you're asking about reading a transcription that's already been written out, and whether it's okay to have that in front of you...the answer is, it depends. You can work on memorizing a solo that way, but the goal should be to be able to play it along with the recording without the music in front of you. Reading music involves different "brain muscles" than playing by ear or from memory. No need to practice those muscies if you are working on developing the ones you use when improvising and playing by ear.

Good luck with your journey!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When transcribing there may be times it's easier to figure out what's happening to use the horn, but most of the time you can transcribe using a keyboard and save the chops.

Sure transcribing can be a grind when you're starting out particularly if you need to need to cue up the recording for each additional note. But if you stick with it eventually you'll be able to be able to write out entire phrases and it'll go much quicker.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one thing that I need to figure out when I'm transcribing:

What's the next note?

And, when you can't hear the next note, take a break. It will come.

That's all . . . it's really not that complicated.

Also, hearing chords (to me) is equally as important as the lines somebody plays, so I always try to figure out the chords first.

Next . . . .
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about transcribing solos. Reply with quote

casivake718 wrote:
When you transcribe solos, should I take a lot of breaks to prevent fatigue chops or no? Is it okay to start getting annoyed by a solo after listening to it many times?

Here's what you do.

1. Have Facebook open - this will allow you to get distracted every 10 or 15 seconds, which will save your chops for sure.

2. Have Trumpet Herald open - this will allow you to get distracted every 30 to 40 seconds. We really want to be sure you don't get tired.

3. Start transcribing. When you get to a part that you have difficulty with, it's time to put the horn away for the day. You've already got Facebook open, so go ahead and post about how much work you got done that day so everyone knows how humbled and blessed you are.

4. Rinse and repeat.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:

Also, hearing chords (to me) is equally as important as the lines somebody plays, so I always try to figure out the chords first.

I find that figuring out what notes they're playing is much easier when you've identified the chord, as well. It's much easier to hear "he's playing the natural 9" than it is "he's playing an Eb," at least for me.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think it is cheating yourself to use the "Amazing Slower Downer?"
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Do you guys think it is cheating yourself to use the "Amazing Slower Downer?"

No, but I try to avoid using it, as I'd rather try and get my ear to hear that stuff at real speed. I also try and do it without horn/keyboard if possible, but that's not practical for some folks (becomes easier the more you do it).

It sure is handy when you are doing nasty, angular stuff, though.
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Transcribing Reply with quote

Some players feel that you shouldn't transcribe (on paper) and learn the Solo by Ear.

I am of the school that you should write it down, only because I have found throughout the years that I am a visual learner. This also allows me to go back and reference Phrases and Licks later but also share them with Students. Do what works BEST for you.

1. Pick a player / Solo that is at a level that you can easily transcribe, at least for the first several. Gradually build up to more complex rhythms and harmonic structures as you move from one Solo to the next.

2. Listen to the Solo many times, before attempting to play, transcribe. To the point where you can sing it from memory. Drummer Tony Williams would do this and it was one of the things that helped get him to play in Miles Davis' band.

3. If you don't have Keyboard chops, I would suggest working on the melodic / rhythmic transcription First, before transcribing the Chords.

4. Transcribe 4 - 8 Bars at a time. Taking small bites will avoid the frustration level, and allow you to make small positive accomplishments along the way as opposed to trying to learn the entire Solo in one fell swoop.

5. If you run into a challenging rhythm / phrase, and can't seem to figure it out, you can have a friend (Drummer -Pianist) give you a hand, or point you in the right direction.

6. Practice each section of the solo as you transcribe it, and then practice the entire solo after you complete it with the recording and then without. Pick out small "Jazz Licks" or sections that really interest you or "Grab your Ear" and practice these in different keys, and at different tempos. This will allow your Ear and Fingers to subliminally digest these into your own playing and allow you to incorporate them into your improvisation.

The Bottom Line is Have Fun and good luck!

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transcribing Reply with quote

Paul Tomashefsky wrote:
I am of the school that you should write it down, only because I have found throughout the years that I am a visual learner. This also allows me to go back and reference Phrases and Licks later but also share them with Students. Do what works BEST for you.

First of all - excellent post and I agree. Just some added discussion...

I am generally in this "school" but I would also recommend that the transcriber learn much of the solo to the point where they can play along by ear (if that's practical).

I say that because I think the act of translating stuff one hears into notation often is exercising a set of skills that aren't really on the front end of the set one uses for improvising. (Ditto reading a transcription off a page rather than "learning it".)

I kinda like writing them down because it memorializes the work i put in.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started transcribing, years ago, I would have to go "note by note" and write 'em down as I went. My ears weren't good enough to pick up the harmonic structure of the tune so that's all I could do. I had to first get it on the page and later figure out what was going on harmonically and melodically.

Now, after a whole lotta years, I can recognize harmonic structure by ear and because of that, it's infinitely easier to just pick out the notes and patterns they're using, the color tones, etc. So now I learn whole phrases on the horn as I go, getting them in the fingers first and only later putting them down on the page so I can analyze it in more detail later.

But I still have to use the "Amazing Slow Downer" or similar from time to time on bizarre or very fast passages! (Wynton, my man, you're killing me.)

So while writing it down is important, I find that after years of this sort of thing I do most of the transcription work "off the page," which helps develop those BIG EARS we all are trying to earn.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: