• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Journey to Favorite Horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Journey to Favorite Horn Reply with quote

I haven't posted on here for years, but I have completed my journey to my favorite horn. It's a 3850 Getzen Cornet. I also have a Getzen 900 eterna classic trumpet and a Kanstul 1525 Flugel. I really like the playability of my cornet with it's 3rd and 1st valve triggers. I play a lot of duets with my wife (plays flute) and I can play the cornet softer than my other horns. It's tone is consistently mellow and clear. I'm using a Wedge mp with it which has worked out well for me with tone and endurance. Over the years, I've had some different horns. I used to have a Yamaha student cornet which also was very easy to blow and had a great tone. I guess I'm just spoiled in having triggers. It's also great that I like my other horns. I don't play them very often because my cornet has spoiled me. Life is good.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen 3850 is a terrific horn. I'm glad you are enjoying it!
drncollazo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Getzen 3850 Reply with quote

I'm very happy for you. I read much on the Getzen 3850. It is a great trumpet. I settled for the Yamaha 4330GII. I never knew I could enjoy (love!!) playing a horn as much as I do this one. I own a Schilke B6 and a Yamaha 8310Z and neither has brought as much joy as this little horn. I still cannot believe the sound with either mouthpiece: 11E4 and the 11C4.
Wonderful, so congratulations and play on!!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have my destination cornet - a 1962 Conn 9A Victor. Other than being a bit heavy, it's just about perfect.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Journey to Favorite Horn Reply with quote

shastastan wrote:
I haven't posted on here for years, but I have completed my journey to my favorite horn. It's a 3850 Getzen Cornet. I also have a Getzen 900 eterna classic trumpet and a Kanstul 1525 Flugel. I really like the playability of my cornet with it's 3rd and 1st valve triggers. I play a lot of duets with my wife (plays flute) and I can play the cornet softer than my other horns. It's tone is consistently mellow and clear. I'm using a Wedge mp with it which has worked out well for me with tone and endurance. Over the years, I've had some different horns. I used to have a Yamaha student cornet which also was very easy to blow and had a great tone. I guess I'm just spoiled in having triggers. It's also great that I like my other horns. I don't play them very often because my cornet has spoiled me. Life is good.

I can very much relate to your description of the 3850 - although mine is a "classic" (G09783)- same horn. "Brought up" in a brass band Iīve played a Czech cornet (late fifties), various english horns like Besson, Regent, B&H Imperial etc then from 1970 up to 2010 Getzen Eterna (short period with a Bach Stradivarius which I couldnīt fill) but then this Custom/3850. Beautiful sound, marvellous valves, easy to blow (although the Eterna was even more easy, but brighter, thinner). And as you mention these triggers function very well. Even feels great to hold it!
In the band it blends so very well - also I like the sound higher up when I sometimes play the soprano parts, a clean bright yet round velvet like sound.
So Iīm gonna play it until the final call.
A very special feeling, having ended the horn safari. Finally getting home, sort of. Congrats!
ps by the way I recently bought a cheap Yamaha studentīs cornet - a fine little horn, well built, easy to play in tune, of course limited soundwise in comparison - think of a normal room versus a ball-room.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getzen 3850 Reply with quote

drncollazo wrote:
I'm very happy for you. I read much on the Getzen 3850. It is a great trumpet.

It's a cornet

Last edited by delano on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes and then there's the valves. I let a semi-pro french horn player try my cornet. Her comment about the valves, "They're flawless!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: