• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Worn-looking" slides on "new" trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehammarlund

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: "Worn-looking" slides on "new" trumpet? Reply with quote

I have never bought a brand-new horn before today. I promptly opened my package and pulled everything to inspect it. I had expected that everything would basically look like shiny brass, including the slides. There's a decent difference in price between "new" and "store demo," and I want to make sure I didn't pay for one and end up with the other.

The first valve slide ain't "shiny brass". Obviously this would happen anyway, the horn will still work. But is this normal for a purportedly brand-new horn? Should I care?

roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kind of depends on the manufacturer. Some will clean up the slides and apply a slide grease, which is probably what you expected. In this example, it appears that the slides were ungreased and just got some oxidation from storage. A store demo horn will usually have visible finish wear and small blems from being handled by others (sometimes many others, such as a horn that was used at a major trade show).

If you are happy with the playing quality of the instrument and it is good in all other respects, I'd suggest applying an appropriate slide lube. Slide grease for the main tuning slide and a bit 'slicker' lube to slides 1 and 3 (Hetmans 4 or 5).

Last edited by roynj on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehammarlund

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion here, but unless the slides don’t work smoothly, I would not use steel wool or anything else that removes traces of metal on them. (And I am aware that silver polish, for example, removes traces of metal, which is why I don’t use it very often).

I would just make sure the slides are clean, and greased. Shiny brass slides are going to darken eventually anyway.

Brad
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on your definition of "shiny," but I don't think I've ever bought a new horn with slides I'd describe that way.
JoeLoeffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP... You do not mention the manufacturer or the place where you purchased the instrument. Manufacturers do vary in their fit and finish. Who knows how long the instrument sat before sale or if it was tested in the store, etc. Do the slides work well? Then don’t worry about it and just play the horn.

To everybody else who has and will chime in in this thread or others who will just read the following:

Slides should not be “shiny”. They should have a relatively even, matte appearance. (Piston surfaces should also). Shiny, smooth surfaces do not retain lubricants. They also have a tendency to gall. A clean, well adjusted, well fitting slide will function nicely and feel great with a matte finish that retains lubricants.

Please do not use steel wool on your brass instrument. It removes material in an uncontrolled fashion. It is very difficult to remove any dusts or residues in the home workshop. There is a possibility that the harder stainless material could imbed in the softer brass tubes.

Do not buff on slide tubes with Tripoli or other compounds to make them shiny. This removes material and is difficult to remove residues with home cleaning techniques. Again, smooth surfaces do not retain lubricants.

Do not use aggressive brass polish to make the slides shiny. Smooth, shiny surfaces do not retain lubricants.

If you wish to brighten the appearance of your inside slide tubes, use Lava bar soap on a rag. (Soak the bar in warm water for a bit to soften the soap and rub some on a strip of cloth. Use this to rub down your slide tubes.) Be advised: this will scuff up plated finishes on the rest of your horn. Be careful and pay attention to what the cloth is touching. Be sure to rinse everything very well in the warmest water safe for your horn's finish.
ehammarlund

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeLoeffler wrote:
To the OP... You do not mention the manufacturer or the place where you purchased the instrument.

Intentionally so: It didn't seem fair to potentially insult them only to find out that it's perfectly normal--which it appears it is.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner slide tubes' outer surfaces should not be shiny like the outer surface. The outer surface is highly buffed to a mirror shine. The inner tubes are sized to fit inside the outer tubes and would become smaller in diameter if they were buffed. This would cause your slides to leak air and condensation, reducing the resonance of your horn and causing it to have less defined slots. The surface of these inner slide tubes should be a nice even satin luster showing care in hand-fitting, so the tubes slide evenly and reliably. There is no good reason for them to be shiny.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thought: A satin surface will hold grease better than a shiny surface.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point, a "new" trumpet very well could have been on the shelf for a very long time.. raw brass inner slides could easily discolor. Wipe them off, lube them up and don't worry what they look like.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the inner slide - the part that fits into another slide - it looks perfectly normal, even for brand new.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That slide looks 100% fine.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s what Doctor Valve just posted on Facebook regarding slides:

“Today I wish to show the trumpet community what properly cleaned slide surfaces look like.
On the left are the slides for a Schilke Bb that we have in for chemical cleaning and silver polishing.
On the right are the same set of slides post cleaning.
After the chemical process the outer surface of the inside tubing was cleaned up with Lava bar hand soap on a piece of cheesecloth.
Please note the matte appearance of the cleaned slide tubing.
Slide surfaces should not be mirror polished!!!”

He has before and after pics on his FB page; my Photobucket account isn’t working or I would post them here.

Brad
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehammarlund wrote:
JoeLoeffler wrote:
To the OP... You do not mention the manufacturer or the place where you purchased the instrument.

Intentionally so: It didn't seem fair to potentially insult them only to find out that it's perfectly normal--which it appears it is.

Like!

Let me say from experience with experience with higher quality Chinese budget horns:

If it’s so the inner slide legs do seem to tarnish easily-on the very budget friendly instruments even some of the more expensive ones.
There is reasons they cost 3x less than the big brands, but I don’t think they’re really any less quality

How much are they used vs left idle? Seems a lot of trumpet players don’t bother with their “triggers”. As a cornet player, I use the hell out of both of mine

Like others have said if it works good and plays good then it is good

If it is a Chinese trumpet then expect a few “flaws”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: