• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Professionals Playing Student Flugelhorns?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer small bore flugels. I currently have a Wild Thing (Kanstul) and had a Cousnon before that. My first one was an Olds that was a med (..433) bore).

There have been some great players using .460 bore instruments. Freddy Hubbard on his Getzen and George Graham with a Yamaha student model with an aftermarket bell (Kanstul I believe).

Don't forget that having a mouthpiece that works well with the horn is critical.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
I prefer small bore flugels. I currently have a Wild Thing (Kanstul) and had a Cousnon before that. My first one was an Olds that was a med (..433) bore).

There have been some great players using .460 bore instruments. Freddy Hubbard on his Getzen and George Graham with a Yamaha student model with an aftermarket bell (Kanstul I believe).

Don't forget that having a mouthpiece that works well with the horn is critical.

I play a Conn 85F which I believe is .413 and I love it.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Professionals Playing Student Flugelhorns? Reply with quote

dsmowersmusic wrote:
Hi, I’m a college student who is starting professional gigs and work outside of the educational scene. I’ve heard from one of my professors and several other people that if I plan on getting a Flugelhorn (which I probably should at some point) that it might be worth it to just go for a student model if I’m not going to be using it all that often. I’ve been researching the Allora AAFG-103F which normally goes for $499 but is currently on sale for $399. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with this horn or with student horns in general?

Dennis

For what it is, the Allora is pretty good horn. As the OP noted, it's inexpensive, and often put on sale by WWBW, MusiciansFriend, and their other sites. As a student horn, it's well made and plays reasonably in-tune. But there are better horns out there.

In addition, the Allora is a larger bore horn. The ACB and Dillon flugelhorns are Yamaha 631 clones, with more of a medium-sized bore. I don't want to make this thread about bore size. But I will say that you need to figure out whether you like a larger or smaller bore. See what works for you.

If you are looking for a less-expensive flugelhorn in the $500 range, the Allora, Dillon, and ACB are all reasonable choices. Are there any nearby stores, where you can try out some horns, to see what you like? Dillons and ACB are both about 5 hours from Rochester (give or take).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
gchun01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked with Ollie Mitchell, he was playing a Yamaha student model flugel.

Garry
robas92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorns Reply with quote

I have been fortunate to own several flugelhorn including Allora, Olds L12, Reynolds Emporer, Yamaha 731, Bach 183, Blessing, Burbank and a Kanstul 1025. I cannot reiterate how important a leadpipe and mouthpiece make a difference in playability. I still own the last three. Here's is a quick review.

Allora--Nice fit and finish, rosebrass bell. I used a Giardinelli with this. Pretty good intonation. Great sound from G above third space C to low F#. Above G is a struggle, I have always thought a new leadpipe might fix this. All in all, good horn for the cash. Contact Charlie Melk for a new leadpipe, he can make anything.

Olds & Reynolds played virtually the same. Good sound, funky intonation, get a new leadpipe and it is wonderous. Again, contact Charlie Melk.

Yamaha 731 was my HS flugel. It served me for awhile. It is a very "vanilla" horn, good sound and decent intonation. I have played the Bobby Shew as well, it is Uber light, I would the deepest mouthpiece possible to darken the sound. Yamaha is very middle of the road, not bad but for me, not great.

Bach 183 was my least favorite horn. I briefly owned one for 10 minutes in college. LOL!! Bore was way too small, I just could not get the sound I wanted. Sold it and bought a Burbank.

Blessing--I have one of the new ones that just came out and WOW!! Powell makes great horns, it is stunning. Everything about this horn is awesome. I bought it for my dad's birthday. I think he is going to be stoked. It plays similar to my buddy's B&S, but with greater core sound and flexibility.

Burbank--I really lucked up with this.I bought it in the early 1990s from a music store at a convention. It was sitting in the back of the exhibit and had not been sold in five years. I got it for $400. Mine has top sprung valves. It is in silver. Made by Kanstul, the craftmanship is immaculate. Beautiful sound, great intonation, even from top to bottom. If you ever find one of these, BUY IT.

And last but not least my Kanstul 1025. It is VERY similar to the Burbank. It is like Kanstul took the Burbank and super tweaked it. My favorite horn of all of them. For me, it is perfect.you can get v them $2200 new which is beyond a bargain. I would put this horn up against any other horn. I have also played a Kanstul 1525 and it is a great solo horn but doesn't blend as well as my 1025.

I hope this helps....
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: