• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fasch Eb Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Fasch Eb Trumpet Reply with quote

I recently bought a Fasch short model Eb trumpet from a fellow TH member for $200. I just wanted to see myself how good or bad these instruments actually are as I've heard that some of the Bb trumpets might actually be playable. I received the horn a month ago and today I finally had a chance to look it more closely.

Out of the bag the horn looks very good. After a good bath the valves and slides also work quite nicely. The bad news is that the intonation and overall playability is horrible. The horn sounds good but at this point it is totally unplayable.

The first thing I noticed is that both water keys leak A LOT. The main tuning slide also has major solder blobs. Around the water key holes there are big edges inside the slide that will disturb the air flow even more. Tuning slide legs are also out of center. After fixing these the horn now plays way better! Still not well but it made a huge difference.

As I inspected the horn with borescope I found smaller solder blobs and also slides/crooks that need to be aligned. The valves also need both rotational and vertical alignment so there are lot of work to do. I'll take the horn apart and see how far I'm able to go with it.

Do any of you have any experience in this paricular model or other Fasch trumpets? It looks like the horn might be a decent Eb once the problems with build quality are solved. It also comes with D tuning slide but I don't even try to make it work in both keys as there are no extra valve slides available. I might use the D slide to make tuning slide inserts for the Eb as I don't have any other use for it.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same here.
One day of madness I bought this dog to try…Completely and ridiculously out of tune whatever the fingering…even the one I specially created for the case. The worse intonation I have ever met.
The only “good” thing is the sound is not that bad and quite mellow (as long as you do not try to play two notes in a row…).
Fortunately, I own and play a Selmer Eb / D so the Fasch is in its case where it slowly destroys itself without any help (seriously!).
If you find a way to improve that dog, please post it! It would be a miracle.
Oh, of course if someone want to buy this "rare and unique horn" as they say, he is wellcome.
javascript:emoticon('')
Regards
Sustained note
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:

Table Lamp?

Giv'at Shmuel
Israel

Trumpet: Schilke B1 (2005)
Mouthpiece: Schilke Soloiste MG1
(Marc Geujon) gold plated
----------------

Keep a sense of humor.
ruotjoh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sustained note wrote:
Voltrane wrote:

Table Lamp?

Well, that sounds encouraging! Yesterday I worked on the valves. I made a rotational alignment and refitted each piston the best I could as it wasn't properly done at the first place. I also removed some "burr" inside the valve knuckles(!). The valve action is now much better and the horn blows a bit more evenly.

I'll keep you updated once I get more work done. I can actually play a C major scale in tune at the moment without alternate fingerings. Wow! I hope I'm able to post some sound clips once the project is finished.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation!
I cannot wait to listen to your clip
Good luck and keep me aware!
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sustained note wrote:
Voltrane wrote:

Table Lamp?

That's silly. There is almost no literature for Eb table lamp.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Sustained note wrote:
Voltrane wrote:

Table Lamp?

That's silly. There is almost no literature for Eb table lamp.

"I am beginning to see the light" ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: