• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ultra sonic cleaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DocRoy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: ultra sonic cleaning Reply with quote

recently purchased a used Bach 37, vintage 1994. it was suggested to me by a couple of fellow trumpeters that I get it ultra sonically cleaned. Can anyone out there tell me what this process will (or should) do to the horn's performance?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a new'ish way of cleaning the horn. The performance will change according to how dirty it is now, same as for any other cleaning. I would do it before using it just to get all the old gunk out.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, ultra-sound cleaning is (too?) expensive. You can do almost as good a cleaning, manually.

I understand these devices and the disposal cost several hundred dollars ... and, the repair tech / shop is looking to recoup that expense, as well as turn a profit.

But, WHY are these entities (techs / shops) still trying to recoup their expenses, well after their initial outlay has been recovered, many times over ?

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
rlk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
But, WHY are these entities (techs / shops) still trying to recoup their expenses, well after their initial outlay has been recovered, many times over ?

For the same reasons I still demand a paycheck well after my student loans have been paid off.

rlk
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apples and oranges.
**** reasoning.

~ r2 ~

deplorable horn-player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Usually, ultra-sound cleaning is (too?) expensive. You can do almost as good a cleaning, manually.

I understand these devices and the disposal cost several hundred dollars ... and, the repair tech / shop is looking to recoup that expense, as well as turn a profit.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

The ones in the local music repair shops can fit a tuba and cost in the low 5 figures rather than hundreds.

Also, techs don't work for free - not to mention the cost of owning or renting the space and paying the electric bill.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend away !!

I have about 20 horns (down from about 100).
Can't afford them AND ultra-sonic cleanings. I clean the horns by hand in a deep, plastic tub. Have large assortment of brushes. I do most of the work on my horns, including soldering, honing. I have the proper (professional band-instrument repair) tools. I work on my guitars (about 10), basses and mandolins, also. Have the proper tools, as well.

* Note *
I change oil and filters on my cars ... girlfriend's cars ... step-daughter's car .... Rotate all tires (for above). Also; do tune-ups, when I can get the shop-manuals. Do all maintenance and tune-ups on my motorcycles and road-(bi)cycles ... lawn mowers, chain saws, etc.

I am "old school". Do stuff, myself, when appropriate. I know what NOT to do, or try. My "home brew" valve-oil is similar to Tony Scodwell's. Has worked extremely well for decades. Cost?

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player, picker

I miss Genghis Khan ....
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/i-make-my-own-oil-anyone-else-do-this.48540/

Here's the link I found.

A short while back I was looking into penetrating oils and I found that WD-40 is about the worst, some stuff sold under the brand name "Blaster" isn't too bad, but by far the best was a mix of automatic transmission fluid and kerosene.

As one person in the discussion mentions, I used to use Break-Free CLP. I'd put a little in some Al Cass oil and that was my valve oil. But then I got a Getzen horn and discovered Getzen oil and havn't looked back. Great stuff.
ottoa57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On ultrasonic cleaning... 1st thing is first... How dirty a horn are we dealing with? How old is the horn... What general condition is it in? Ive owned horns.. Bought new by me... After 10 years look inside as clean as the day I bought it. So let's assess a horn on its individual condition and proceed from there. Depending on degrees of dirt.. Light grease. Or HEAVY calcium scale... This will determine what level or chemical, soap and water,,, degreaser, or ultrasonic cleaning is called for. Also how will you be disposing of chemicals these days? Muraic acid used judicially can be a good leadpipe cleaner diluted of course ( I'm talking 20 years ago).. These days disposal can be a safety problem. And then there's cost. I'm lucky to have a very good music store in town run by well trained staff.. That do an ultrasonic cleaning on a lacquer trumpet for 40.00!!! Silver.. 50.00 and they will replace all the valve pads inside and out and pay very strict attention to the PVA. I've seen same service quoted for 75.00 100, 125.00 or your mileage may vary.

Once the "cleaning", is done.. I subsrible to Doc Reinhardts advise of running water through the bell daily after playing.... This has kept my horns scale free and no build up whatsoever. Every few months I disassemble the horn and do a complete manual cleaning with dawn... Brush whatever little debris is there.. And I'm good to go.

Warburton Consultant since 1986
Stomvi Forte, w/AGR & full trim kit
Yamaha Flugel YFH 631
Getzen Eflat/D
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$40 is reasonable.

〰 r2 ~

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

The ones in the local music repair shops can fit a tuba and cost in the low 5 figures rather than hundreds.

Also, techs don't work for free - not to mention the cost of owning or renting the space and paying the electric bill.

This.

IMO, if someone believes that a music store (or any business) is price gouging for a service, there’s a perfect solution: don’t purchase the service. For anyone to arbitrarily declare what is or is not a fair price for something, with no exact knowledge of the business’s overhead, is unrealistic. Do some companies make unreasonable profits? Sure. But especially when we are talking about non essential services or products, it’s a free market, anyone can ask any price they want for anything, no one is being coerced to purchase it.

Brad
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

This.

IMO, if someone believes that a music store (or any business) is price gouging for a service, there’s a perfect solution: don’t purchase the service. For anyone to arbitrarily declare what is or is not a fair price for something, with no exact knowledge of the business’s overhead, is unrealistic. Do some companies make unreasonable profits? Sure. But especially when we are talking about non essential services or products, it’s a free market, anyone can ask any price they want for anything, no one is being coerced to purchase it.

Brad

Errrrr ... perhaps.
Fundamentally, I agree ... for the most part, with you. Me? ... I do not opt for goods or services I deem excessively costly.

Now ... ... how can one have an "exact knowledge of the business's overhead? ?

Many businesses are "fat". Too many percs ... excessive salaries ... extravagant fixtures, advertising, etc.
Look in the employee's parking lot ... observe the vehicles. Hondas / Toyotas / "plain-Jane" SUVs, pickup trucks ... or, BMWs / Benz's / high-end pickups ?

I'm not going to underwrite that kind of "overhead". Screw 'em.

I'll pay a FAIR PRICE (my idea of). Not some arbitrarily high figure.
Call me "thrifty" ... "frugal". But ... not CHEAP.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-(and other instruments) -player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rowe wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Robert Rowe wrote:

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-player

This.

Brad

Errrrr ... perhaps.
Fundamentally, I agree ... for the most part, with you. Me? ... I do not opt for goods or services I deem excessively costly.

Now ... ... how can one have an "exact knowledge of the business's overhead? ?

Many businesses are "fat". Too many percs ... excessive salaries ... extravagant fixtures, advertising, etc.
Look in the employee's parking lot ... observe the vehicles. Hondas / Toyotas / "plain-Jane" SUVs, pickup trucks ... or, BMWs / Benz's / high-end pickups ?

I'm not going to underwrite that kind of "overhead". Screw 'em.

I'll pay a FAIR PRICE (my idea of). Not some arbitrarily high figure.
Call me "thrifty" ... "frugal". But ... not CHEAP.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn-(and other instruments) -player

You’re correct, you can’t know the exact amount of any business’s overhead. I also believe that (in many, not all) cases, the owner who has the BMW or Mercedes in the parking lot probably did not have it when he started the business. What he probably had was a used Chevy, a very small salary his first year in business and 60+ hour weeks.
What we consider a “fair” price is subjective, we all have priorities. My girlfriend bought a 500.00 bed spread, but she balks at spending 1.25 for an iphone app. I would NEVER buy that bedspread, but 500.00 for some horn related thing? Probably. 200.00 for a bottle of wine, no way, 200.00 for a mouthpiece? Probably.

Opinions and priorities, we all have ‘em.

Guess I’ll stop steering the OP’s thread into the ditch now.😉

Brad
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, we're in the process of moving to another building but somewhere around here we've got an ultrasonic cleaner that's big enough to clean a trumpet in, I believe. The next time I see it I'll see if my trumpet can fit in it, and if it does, I may consider buying it for myself and then I'd have (nearly) free ultrasonic cleanings lol.

Edit: I caught sight of it again and it's not big enough. We're asking several hundred for it too, so it's not worth it for me to buy it personally.

I agree on a good hand-cleaning anyway; can do as well.
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:

I agree on a good hand-cleaning anyway; can do as well.

BINGO !

98% of the time, that will do it.

Too many here on this site believe one needs to spend big-bucks to have a fine-playing horn.
I really don't get it.
Just wait until they tell you where to get a valve-job. Is if they think it's worth it to spend $400 on a $400 horn.

~ r2 ~
deplorable, erudite horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: