• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kind of rare horn up for sale at local dealer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Kind of rare horn up for sale at local dealer Reply with quote

Gorbys Music in South Charleston WV has an early 60’s Harry James balanced model with all the factory cards and with a finish of GP or gold plated. This was purchased by a King dealer from HN White King. They are in the phone book. I have seen this horn on 3 occasions and briefly played it. On a 3 minute toot it easily did everything I could. Horn has never been sold and is as mint as it gets. Vince at Gorbys told me they had it priced on their site at 7500$ but that would be between you and them. These people sold me my 1st horn in 1963 and have been in business forever. I have no interest in this (yet except to wish it was mine), but it has a lot of things gong for it, even if price is pretty hi for some brass and silver and 3 grams of gold.
Rod
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: H.J. King Reply with quote

For sure this is the model that Harry played but there are quite a few details leading me to think it was made much later on after the H.N. White Company was sold to Seeburg (Juke Box Company) in 1968. I looked at the trumpet on the music store website and here are my observations:
"Z" braces are not the diagonal straight post style used on earlier horns.
Engraving on bell is not from the earlier horns. They all said King Super-20
Symphony Silver Sonic Made by the H.N. White Co. Cleveland, Ohio.
Serial number 483414 DB indicates later horn (My H.J. King #407309DB was made in 1965)
All earlier 60's era H.J. horns had sterling silver bells and leadpipes.
The "Harry James" engraving on the bell side is not as well done as the earlier horns when King had master engravers on staff.
Harry started having his horns made gold plated after 1970 and some were raw brass without the silver bell and pipe.

I'm not inferring that anything here is bogus and the music store website does not say anything about when this horn was made. Indeed they were never sold to the general public and in Cleveland one fellow made all of Harry's horns using a bell mandrel that was reserved only for Harry. The case is period correct as is the older literature with the exception of the case handle which was clear lucite.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand about the exclusive bell mandrel. Makes sense.

What I am curious about, is the bell-thickness. If you know, Tony, did Harry specify / prefer a thin-gauge "sizzler" bell ... or, are there practical limits with Sterling Silver, as-far-as workability ?

~ r2 ~
deplorable, erudite horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: