• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Carol 'Shew Horn' model

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: New Carol 'Shew Horn' model Reply with quote

Curious if anyone has any knowledge of this new Carol, and how it might differ from their 5000 YLT:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DEMO-CAROL-BRASS-LIGHTWEIGHT-BOBBY-SHEW-STYLE-CUSTOM-Bb-TRUMPET/263499229668?hash=item3d59c729e4:g:KmwAAOSwvOJahgBg
hackney_wick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: New Carol 'Shew Horn' model Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by hackney_wick on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's patterned after the Yamaha Shew horn, it will perhaps have a smaller airflow in the front of the horn. The Yamaha Shew is a step-bore horn I believe (although they may use a different terminology).

The Carol 5000 was a wide-open blow; the Yamaha Shew I had was a very restricted blow (some do play more open but mine... Not so much). So..lf the Carol Shew is patterned after the Yamaha Shew it should have quite a bit of difference from the Carol 5000, I'd think.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Carol Reply with quote

I was wondering if it's a step bore as well, though judging from the description, I kind of doubt so. A step bore in the .460 would be nice, though.

I'm sure it's nice. Carol horns get mixed reviews here, but I've been extremely impressed by them.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent, I agree. I think I've had five different models of Carol Trumpets and was impressed with every one. They didn't all fit my needs but I still found them impressive. I purchased all of them used and consider them outstanding values.

I'll follow this thread... I'd like to know more about this model, too.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Carolbrass Shew Model Reply with quote

I would think their 5005-YLT or 5205-YLT model might be closer to the Shew horn. Both of those models are medium bore with a thin 72 style bell. I would think they both have medium bore slides. The 5005 is all yellow brass and the 5205 has nickel slides.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what artists like Bobby feel about unauthorized use of their name to advertise instruments. I know Michael Jordan won $9,000,000 when a store used his name above a steak coupon.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I wonder what artists like Bobby feel about unauthorized use of their name to advertise instruments. I know Michael Jordan won $9,000,000 when a store used his name above a steak coupon.

I'm sure if it is a XXXX Brand "Shew Model," the artist must have approved & been already paid for the company to put his name on the horn......
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

I'm sure if it is a XXXX Brand "Shew Model," the artist must have approved & been already paid for the company to put his name on the horn......

I wonder; seems to me that calling it a “Bobby Shew style” horn implies he hasn’t been compensated or possibly even given his permission.

This is from http://www.trumpettrader.com/new.php

This trumpet is a special model made to compete with the Yamaha -8310Z. It is light in weight with the 5"thin bell bead. This trumpet comes with 2 tuning slides and heavy Buttons and caps.
Deluxe case and mouthpiece included.
"This horn really plays well and is exciting to perform on"

No mention there of his name, but on Carol’s website they use his name:
www.carolbrass.com/product_post.php?i=523

They list it as a .460 bore. Their website traditionally has been somewhat confusing.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 pm; edited 5 times in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does 'Carol' have a website of their own - I couldn't find it?
And does 'Carol' itself call the horn 'Shew style'?
When searching, I found several dealers and other 'resale' website using the term 'Shew style', and wonder if that's just because of the appearance of horn - braces, general configuration, etc.

I get the impression that there have been several versions of 'Shew endorsed/approved' horns by other makers, and perhaps the general appearance of those horns would make the term 'Shew style' appropriate to use on other similar appearing horns. Similar to how several other horns that look similar to Bach 180-37 or Bach mouthpieces use names that are similar to the Bach nomenclature.

If 'Carol' is using the term as some sort of 'pirated' endorsement from Shew, that's another story.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoxon Gakki discontinued the "Carol" brand name more than ten years ago, replacing it with "CarolBrass," because of a trademark conflict. So you won't find a current website for the Carol brand. I have both; a "Carol" pocket trumpet and a "CarolBrass" fluegelhorn.

Also, the use of Shew's name was in an ebay listing by Wichita Band Instruments, not Hoxon Gakki. I don't think Hoxon Gakki has used Shew's name to promote this trumpet model, although Wichita Band has used it more than once.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
Hoxon Gakki discontinued the "Carol" brand name more than ten years ago, replacing it with "CarolBrass," because of a trademark conflict. So you won't find a current website for the Carol brand. I have both; a "Carol" pocket trumpet and a "CarolBrass" fluegelhorn.

Also, the use of Shew's name was in an ebay listing by Wichita Band Instruments, not Hoxon Gakki. I don't think Hoxon Gakki has used Shew's name to promote this trumpet model, although Wichita Band has used it more than once.

So, is this Hoxxon Gakki / CarolBrass? They’re clearly using his name.
http://www.carolbrass.com/product_post.php?i=523

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
mm55 wrote:

Brad

It is possible that Bobby has endorsed this horn. However, he is not on their Artists page.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
mm55 wrote:

Brad

Yup. I had never seen that, but that does seem to be the Hoxon Gakki webpage for the CarolBrass brand, and they use the name "Shew". I stand corrected.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
... It is possible that Bobby has endorsed this horn. However, he is not on their Artists page.

-----------------------------------------------
Perhaps Shew gave permission for CarolBrass to use the term 'Shew-style', but not 'endorse' or 'approve' because of contract agreements with other brand.

Or, Shew might not be personally involved at all. CarolBrass might just consider 'Shew-style' to be common usage for that style of trumpet.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
NERO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
... It is possible that Bobby has endorsed this horn. However, he is not on their Artists page.

Perhaps Shew gave permission for CarolBrass to use the term 'Shew-style', but not 'endorse' or 'approve' because of contract agreements with other brand.

Or, Shew might not be personally involved at all. CarolBrass might just consider 'Shew-style' to be common usage for that style of trumpet.

Jay

I seriously doubt that Yamaha will be happy if they find out....
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NERO wrote:
JayKosta wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Jay

I seriously doubt that Yamaha will be happy if they find out....

I think they must be aware of it, CarolBrass isn’t exactly hiding it. From the looks of the horn, it’s just a ML 460 bore, not a step bore like his Yamaha.

Brad
NERO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think they must be aware of it, CarolBrass isn’t exactly hiding it. From the looks of the horn, it’s just a ML 460 bore, not a step bore like his Yamaha.

Brad

Probably... Shew style (or Ingram style) shall be read as a synonymous of step bore... but I wonder how a ML trumpet is supposed to be in the same class of a Z horn. I'm very curious about their 3 interchangeable leadpipes trumpet by the way....
crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ingram is not step bore. Pretty sure it's just 453 all the way through
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomann Germany has been selling them since 2012. Given the fact that they are on position 146 in the Thomann Bb trumpet sales ranking, they may not be for everyone, but they seem to sell.

https://www.thomann.de/de/carol_brass_ctr4440lpsmbbal.htm?sid=b368dccd38a8f8c2702b1d0faab61d73

If I recall correctly someone on the German Trompetenforum played one in a soul/pop/rock environment and was very happy.

Never played one but someday I will spend time at Thomann and test ALL their horns
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: