• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greetings Trumpetherald.com I'm new.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swinks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Greetings Trumpetherald.com I'm new. Reply with quote

Hello Everyone,
I recently joined and am looking forward to networking with all of you. I am a freelance player in the Pacific Northwest. I play with the Vancouver Symphony, Big Horn Brass, have a quintet called Columbia River Brass and play with the Bach Cantata Choir often and others in the Portland Metro erea. Most of the time I play orchestral gigs but get some jazz in with the BHB on some of our jazz and pop music. I also teach middle school band. Thus is my 17th year at my school and 20th year total. I play on a Bach Stad 37 Bflat and a Monette XLT C trumpet. A Martin Schmidt A/Bb rotary picc. And a Blessing Flugle horn. My mouthpiece preferences are the Monette 4's. It's really fun living near the Monette shop. University of Idaho and Portland State Alum. My biggest heros are Doc. Severensen, Wynton Marsalis, Clifford Brown, Dizzy, Robert T. McCurdy, Gerald Webster, Manny Loreano, Freddie Hubbard and more. Looking forward to getting to know people and learning from all of you.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the band. Enjoy yourself. You play lead tonight...show starts in 2 min..after that, we are dong all the Mahler symphonies
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Scott!
Piccolo Stomvi
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of my earliest recollections are of Portland elementary school band ensembles playing Christmas music. They definitely liked to fund their music.

Welcome!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a super introduction! Thanks for that, welcome to the group, and we all look forward to your contributions.
swinks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: VSO plays the three "B's" Brahms, Beethoven and Br Reply with quote

bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. What's the Jazz and overall music scenes like where you are?
swinks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamajazzlady wrote:
Welcome. What's the Jazz and overall music scenes like where you are?

The overall jazz scene is kind of scarce. Only small combos play in some small restaurants and bars. Big bands don't exist unless you just want to put a group together for fun.

The Oregon Symphony is the big organization that does Zelda concerts or Harry Potter films with live orchestra and also does legit stuff like bring in Josbual Bell or heavies like him. They also host Chris Botti (an Oregon native) Herbie Handcock, Harry Connick and JALC orch. and John williams conducted the group a couple of years ago.
We have a pretty good youth orchestra organization.

There are seveal part time orchestras that do pretty well and give us amateurs a chance to play the rep. And use them a stepping stone for building a resume and getting ready to autition for major groups.

There are lots of Christmas and Easter gigs, a Bach Cantata choir that is playing all of his cantatas. That's really fun. Chamber music has a strong niche here too.

Some cover bands and soul Tower of Power-type groups for dances and corporate dinners and parties. Companies like Nike and Columbia clothing hire these groups.

Portland Opera and Oregon Ballet Theater are both top notch.

That's my a nutshell version..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: