• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2018 ITG conference thoughts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it worth it to go as a partially "Comeback" player?
Yes
96%
 96%  [ 25 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 26

trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: 2018 ITG conference thoughts? Reply with quote

I have been playing trumpet on and off after college for the past few years. I recently learned that the ITG conference is only a few hours away and the Cancer Blows is part of it. Would you suggest paying the almost $400 to go to the conference? I am interested to hear your thoughts.
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!!! People can be very cynical of ITG, but if you go there with your ears open, you will get years worth of inspiration and knowledge. I am coming from Australia again this year, so you would be crazy not to go. What you get for that $400 is incredible.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmaxe wrote:
Yes!!! People can be very cynical of ITG, but if you go there with your ears open, you will get years worth of inspiration and knowledge. I am coming from Australia again this year, so you would be crazy not to go. What you get for that $400 is incredible.

Apparently I have missed some of the comments on here. I haven't really heard anything good or bad about ITG.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some videos recorded in the exhibit hall at past events. Sounds like a screech-fest in the background. I imagine that would get old pretty fast, especially if you were trying to play-test an instrument at a nearby booth. The performances and clinics would be great, though.
Piccolo Stomvi
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked the exhibit halls and depending on how they're set up, it can really wear the vendors down. But, it also creates an opportunity to try things that you've never seen before.
Most people will never have the chance to hear so many good trumpet players in one place at time as they will at ITG.
I highly recommend it. I'll be there.
OldKing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too convenient this year for me not to go. I've attended and had to work a lot of tradeshows, so I doubt I'll spend anytime at the exhibits, the noise will probably make me jiggy. Plus, I have every bit of equipment I need to practice and play what I want; although there's some undoubtedly gorgeous instruments on that floor, there's no magic horn or mouthpiece.

I'm an older, comeback player, so I've got absolutely nothing to prove and I'm excited about learning stuff.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldKing wrote:
I'm an older, comeback player, so I've got absolutely nothing to prove and I'm excited about learning stuff.

As a band director (Trumpet player that wishes he could play more) would there be plenty of things to see and do besides the exhibits?
OldKing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten any registration packet (if they even do those any more) with a list of seminars and concerts, but I'm sure there'd be something you'd be interested in besides the tradeshow floor. Keep an eye on their website.
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty to do and see besides Exhibits. Go here to see all the amazing concerts and clinics :
https://www.itgconference.org/
The exhibits can be fine depending on when you go. There always those idiots trying to massage their egoes with high notes, bit you also hear some beautiful playing from all sorts of regular trumpeters of all styles. And it is a great chance to support our industry, you can get some stuff at fantastic prices...especially if you buy Trent Austin a few beers!!!
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmaxe wrote:
Plenty to do and see besides Exhibits. Go here to see all the amazing concerts and clinics :
The exhibits can be fine depending on when you go. There always those idiots trying to massage their egoes with high notes, bit you also hear some beautiful playing from all sorts of regular trumpeters of all styles. And it is a great chance to support our industry, you can get some stuff at fantastic prices...especially if you buy Trent Austin a few beers!!!

Wait...trumpet players have egos?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmaxe wrote:

wait... you played me the whole time for that fabulous F2? hahahahahaha
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trent,
Naaa, I'm from Australia, I just buy beer for everyone!!!
Looking forward to seeing you in May, and everybody loves that F2 down here.
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're the perfect person to go to ITG. The conferences are really geared mostly towards hobbyists and amateurs. I can't blame it either, that's where the money is!
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
You're the perfect person to go to ITG. The conferences are really geared mostly towards hobbyists and amateurs. I can't blame it either, that's where the money is!

Add College professors to this list... if ITG would move the show to July more students and educators could also potentially attend. 2019's show is in July and I hope the later timing of the show will attract additional people who couldn't attend previous shows due to the timing.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com

Last edited by TrentAustin on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Well, I guess I am the one professional that finds value by attending ITG. I guess if you feel that you've learned all there is to learn about trumpet playing, don't waste your time attending. And if you are a "cup half empty" type person who only sees the negative, don't bother going.

As far as the exhibits are concerned, sure the dueling high G's and double C's can be annoying, especially for the vendors. But where else can you find that broad a spectrum of instruments and accessories in one place, much less available for trial?

As far as the seminars, lectures, and performances are concerned, I hardly think they are geared towards "hobbyists and amateurs". Tony Klatka describing in detail the nuts and bolts of playing in a Broadway pit was hardly aimed at hobbyists. Tine Thing Helseth's recital was hardly directed towards amateurs. Over the years, ITG conferences have exposed those of us that attended to the playing, expertise, and experiences from the likes of David Hickman, Jens Lindeman, Doc Severinsen, Arturo Sandoval, Wayne Bergeron, and so on.

If finding value at ITG makes me a "hobbyist or amateur", than so be it. Just don't tell the band leaders and conductors I have worked for during the last 45 years that they had been hiring an amateur hobbyist all that time.

As trite as it sounds, you are never too old to learn and experience, except, apparently, for the above quoted author.
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:

Well, I guess I am the one professional that finds value by attending ITG. I guess if you feel that you've learned all there is to learn about trumpet playing, don't waste your time attending. And if you are a "cup half empty" type person who only sees the negative, don't bother going.

As far as the exhibits are concerned, sure the dueling high G's and double C's can be annoying, especially for the vendors. But where else can you find that broad a spectrum of instruments and accessories in one place, much less available for trial?

As far as the seminars, lectures, and performances are concerned, I hardly think they are geared towards "hobbyists and amateurs". Tony Klatka describing in detail the nuts and bolts of playing in a Broadway pit was hardly aimed at hobbyists. Tine Thing Helseth's recital was hardly directed towards amateurs. Over the years, ITG conferences have exposed those of us that attended to the playing, expertise, and experiences from the likes of David Hickman, Jens Lindeman, Doc Severinsen, Arturo Sandoval, Wayne Bergeron, and so on.

If finding value at ITG makes me a "hobbyist or amateur", than so be it. Just don't tell the band leaders and conductors I have worked for during the last 45 years that they had been hiring an amateur hobbyist all that time.

As trite as it sounds, you are never too old to learn and experience, except, apparently, for the above quoted author.

You put words into my mouth, sir. I'm a full time orchestral player who tries to go every year. Sometimes, my schedule with the orchestra does not allow for it.

I didn't say pros don't go. I said that it's geared towards amateurs and hobbyists. Nothing wrong with that.

Trent, you are correct. We could add college professors to the list as well. But I think there's very little scholarly work done there in the way of presenting papers, etc. But there certainly is some.

I'll be there this year. Maybe I'll see you around, Adagiotrumpet!
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been to three and have found that the conference is geared mostly towards college professors and serious students. The exhibits are there, of course, for the amateurs who have $$$ (becasue we know the pros don't! )
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:
I have been to three and have found that the conference is geared mostly towards college professors and serious students. The exhibits are there, of course, for the amateurs who have $$$ (becasue we know the pros don't! )

I was told the more I spend on gear the better I play!
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Is that how it works?

I guess my stock Bach trumpets aren't good enough for my full time orchestra job.

Neither is my stock Bach mouthpiece (other than an opened throat). I should be worrying about gaps and alpha angles and backbores and screw rims and screw tops and heavy blanks and...

theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gottfried Reiche wrote:
theslawdawg wrote:
LaTrompeta wrote:

Is that how it works?

I guess my stock Bach trumpets aren't good enough for my full time orchestra job.

Neither is my stock Bach mouthpiece (other than an opened throat). I should be worrying about gaps and alpha angles and backbores and screw rims and screw tops and heavy blanks and...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: