• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jamey Aebersold Workshops to end after this summer!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Jamey Aebersold Workshops to end after this summer! Reply with quote

http://workshops.jazzbooks.com/register/

Many of you have long wanted to attend the Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops and many of you who have attended in the past have always said you would go back some day. Well...Now's the Time!

This summer will be the 51st year (and my 43rd year on the faculty) and Jamey will turn 79 only eight days after the workshops conclude. He has announced that this will be the final year for the workshops. If you want to attend, it is now or never. Registration is already at the max and has been closed for pianists and guitarists!

The workshops will be held at the University of Louisville in Louisville, Kentucky, July 1-6 & 8-13.

The trumpet faculty will include Bobby Shew, Jim Ketch, Ansyn Banks, me and a number of others, hopefully including Jim Rotondi and Scott Wendholt.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Pat . . . I will see you there! I just registered for the first week, July 1-6.

The only one I’ve previously attended was the Winter Camp in Dallas during the ice storm of 1979. Remember that one, Pat? You were there . . . with John McNeil and Ken Sloan. Wow, that was great! Truly a life-changing experience for me.

I’m really looking forward to getting my batteries super-charged at this one!

P.S. I signed up on trumpet, but I want to bring my tuba and get a lesson or two with Rich Armandi . . . do you think that would be permitted?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I'm not mistaking, the Kenton Clinics morphed into the Aebersold so may be the Aebersold Clinics will morph into something else, too.

Nevertheless, if anyone's been sitting on the fence this is your last opportunity to experience it. An era gone by. Sad.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Thanks for posting that, Pat . . . I will see you there! I just registered for the first week, July 1-6.

Man, that's awesome!!!

Quote:
The only one I’ve previously attended was the Winter Camp in Dallas during the ice storm of 1979. Remember that one, Pat? You were there . . . with John McNeil and Ken Sloan. Wow, that was great! Truly a life-changing experience for me.

I remember it well! That was crazy. We ended the camp early because they were preparing to close the airport and we weren't sure if we could get our flights home. Ken Morris (business man who ran the camps before Jamey took over that part) fell on the ice and broke some bones.

Quote:
P.S. I signed up on trumpet, but I want to bring my tuba and get a lesson or two with Rich Armandi . . . do you think that would be permitted?

Absolutely! I would guarantee that. Rich is a hoot!
JazzRetreats.com
PH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, if I'm not mistaking, the Kenton Clinics morphed into the Aebersold...

Yes. The Kenton Clinics became the National Stage Band (big band) camps. They were renamed the Summer Jazz Clinics, but remained big band clinics. Jamey persuaded Ken Morris (the manager of the Kenton, Stage Band and Summer Big Band clinics) to try a combo and improv focused camp. Eventually, the combo camps grew in popularity and the big band camps atrophied and then died. Later, Ken Morris retired, Jamey bought him out and continued the combo camps by hiring a staff to manage the business and logistics.
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we sidetracked for a sec into history, what kind of connections did these have to the Lennox School camps?
PH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
Since we sidetracked for a sec into history, what kind of connections did these have to the Lennox School camps?

No direct connection, but I know that Jamey and David Baker went to Lennox as students.
JazzRetreats.com
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from Louisville last night, and I keep asking myself why I haven't gone back to jazz camp sooner? What a life-changing experience!

I had Pat Harbison for my theory teacher, and he basically gave us the keys to the kingdom . . . an absolutely outstanding breadth of material was covered, and I have notes and one of my classmates is going to put H2 Zoom recordings in a dropbox for me, so I will continue to grow and develop with all that additional knowledge.

Scott Wendholt was my combo leader . . . besides being an absolute monster trumpet player, he is a gentleman as well as an accomplished educator and bandleader. We had some amazing moments in our combo sessions during the week and with Scott's guidance we covered a lot of ground.

I had masterclasses with Bobby Shew, Scott Wendholt, Pat Harbison, and on the last day with all six of the trumpet faculty, and it was such a privilege and an honor to be in attendance soaking up all their experiences and wisdom.

Every day at lunch we were treated to faculty groups playing about an hour, and that was a real treat! Some fantastic jazz was played during the lunch hour like you'll probably never hear anywhere else. The players were all so accessible and approachable and I feel like I got to know some of those great musicians on a level I never would have been able to without Jamey's jazz camp.

The evening concerts were worth the price of admission all by themselves. Hearing people like Bobby Floyd, Dave Stryker, Jim Snidero, Rick Simerly, Steve Davis, Corey Christiansen, Pat Harbison, Bobby Shew so many others too numerous to mention (I think the faculty was 65 players?) . . . they showed us how it's done and the concerts were superb!

And the good news is that, even though Jamey appears to be retiring, these camps will continue, possibly with Mike Tracy at the helm.

I am reinvigorated and motivated more than I have been in years.

So thanks for announcing this when you did, Pat! I am so thrilled that I was able to go and am somewhat bummed that I only signed up for one week (many people are there for both weeks).
PH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! It was so awesome to hang. There are a bunch of other THers here for these two weeks. It would be cool if you all checked in on this thread. Jim Calkins? Etc
JazzRetreats.com
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeboppinFool wrote:
Just got back from Louisville last night, and I keep asking myself why I haven't gone back to jazz camp sooner? What a life-changing experience!... I am so thrilled that I was able to go and am somewhat bummed that I only signed up for one week (many people are there for both weeks).

I just got back from my seventh year in a row. Life changing indeed! I am more than a few steps behind BeboppinFool, but the camp accommodates us all.

I was in a combo coached by bass player Bob Sinicrope, past president of the Jazz Education Network. There were two solid high school soon-to-be-sophomores in the nine-piece group including our combo's best player on alto. As with my previous combos, we played about five songs a day, exploring and being challenged with Bob guiding us deftly. We ended up playing "Tskave/Royal Blue" by South African pianist-composer Abdullah Ibrahim. Once we had decided on that piece for our ten minutes on stage, Bob recorded us for self-evaluation. Asked our reaction, I said that I was going to have to get a shirt saying "Quarter Note Man." I didn't rise above my curious limitation until the concert. Go figure. Here is the video. I was pleased/relieved after of the klutziness of my week of rehearsals. In my defense, one thing I have learned about the camp experience is that for me, my playing gets worse at camp because I am forcing myself to do new things. Unfortunately, I end of falling waaaay back into earlier habits, especially my 1968 marching band articulation.

Link

PH wrote:
Dude! It was so awesome to hang. There are a bunch of other THers here for these two weeks. It would be cool if you all checked in on this thread. Jim Calkins? Etc

A huge thank you to Pat Harbison. I have had a mechanics concern centered on too tired, too fast. Pat quickly got to the support solution and worked me on some Bill Adam style blowing. Life changing indeed. One of my carpoolers said, "Every year, I appreciate Pat more." I agree.

1963 Connstellation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: