• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What are your top three "must try" all-around MPs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did ya'll know that John "J" Geils was also a jazz trumpet player? Didn't know that till recently. Does this mean that guitarists and trumpet (or brass) players go together? I gigged with a Tuba major that was also a fine electric guitarist back in the day..he still is..
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are a couple of his horns for sale on eBay right now.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz Mouthpiece Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
On a whim I recently bought two Yamaha Bobby Shew mouthpieces (the Lead model and the Jazz model) from another TH member in the Marketplace (sold to me by marktrumpet who shipped the mouthpieces promptly and they were in the great condition he described them to be in).

As I suspected it would be, the Lead model (based on the Schilke 6A4A) was completely unplayable for me - I mean UNPLAYABLE!!!

But I've been quite impressed with the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz model mouthpiece. It is virtually a copy of a typical modern Bach 3C, but to me, it is a much better mouthpiece. The rim shape is just a tad different. I believe the high point of the rim is just a little bit more toward the middle of the rim and not as close to the inner edge as the more modern Bach 3C now has it. This makes all the difference in the world to me as I cannot stand the typical modern Bach 3C. But I like this Yamaha version.

So to the OP: I suggest you consider the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz model to be one of your three middle of the road mouthpiece choices.

Here's two more:

Mark Curry 3C. model (a wonderful mouthpiece based off a smaller than typical Mt Vernon 3C which makes it about the same cup diameter as a modern Bach 3C but with a wider more comfortable rim and a slightly deeper cup for a slightly darker sound).

Bob Reeves 43C (about the same diameter and slightly shallower cup than a Bach 3C - yet somehow, the Reeves 43C gives a darker, warmer tone in the low to mid registers than a 3C, yet like magic, brightens up and powers up in the upper register as if it has a hidden afterburner or something). But you'll pay for that magic, as the Reeves mouthpieces are pretty expensive (and worth every penny in my opinion as well as at least a plurality of other working pros out there). The Reeves 43C has a wide, very comfortable rim, which is a big asset if you practice and perform many hours a day and/or play really high and loud stuff a lot. Your lips will thank you.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

Hello John,
I played for decade the yam Shew lead, and for some time the yam. 11A and B, and the 7B.
I tried the yam. 6A4a also.
The yam. Shew lead would be more on the dimensions of the 11 than the 6. This last one would compare more in term of ID to Marcinkiewicz Ingram mpc, which is a downsized version of Marc. Shew 1, with a slightly less shallow cup.
By memory, Bobby had told me that his lead mpcs were based on his old Giardinelli 10S.
Best

Last edited by JVL on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found the curry mouthpiece plays with less work and adjustments than the bach pieces. in the classic 3C size there are mouthpieces that play yet easier than the curry with the same going for 7C.
flip oakes' mouthpieces are what i play. from reports here a similar or perhaps better experience is being had with GR, warburton and so forth.
do a search here and make a short list of usual suspects, see what you have resonance or attraction to, and order a couple of mouthpieces. it's worth a little cash to go through this journey and you can find better than what you are playing. people are going wild now for trent's ACB mouthpieces. reports are glowing and trent can give you consultation and advice.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen over and over about the Curry 3C. One question I have is, is there a particular throat size that appears to be popular for it?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes stock with what Mark calls a "loose 27". Thats what I have.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
It comes stock with what Mark calls a "loose 27". Thats what I have.

Thank you, Dale.
lakejw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In lieu of all the sarcastic answers so far, here are some "gateway" mouthpieces, if you've never tried them:

1) Bach 1C (or 1-1/4C, or 1-1/C, whatever you can find)
2) Schilke 14A4a

These will be among the first recommended mouthpieces for an advancing player to experiment with. They are readily available and will give you ideas not only about what you need in a mouthpiece, but what kind of trumpet player you're signing up to be.

johnlakejazz.com
GarryOwen2008

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, they would be:

1) ACB TA-1: I've played this MP exclusively for a while, and it even prompted me to sell my MPs made in Portland, which I never thought would happen!

2) ACB MV3C: If you play a 3C, play this 3C (I swear Trent doesn't pay me to promote his products, they're just THAT GOOD!).

3) The HornTrader HT3CS-28: Just a great mouthpiece. I think they're custom made for Steve by Mark Curry.
1954 LA Olds Ambassador
Carol Brass "Blackhawk" Flugelhorn
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top three all around mouthpieces to try have got to be the Bach 1, Schilke 6A4a, and the Bach 3F
trumpetman7984

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends. How are your lips sized and what’s your endurance like?

I have 7 mouthpieces, two Yamaha 16C4 (one in GP) as my main mouthpieces, a Schilke 12B4, a Bach 7C, a Blessing 7C for cornet, a Wick 3B for corner, and a Yamaha 14F4 for flugel. I also have an 8th that is custom but that’s because I 3D printed it. I would honestly recommend you stay on your 3C or try a bigger size if you want. Just remember that the bigger the mouthpiece, the less endurance you will have until your face adjusts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw out a slightly different tack on this...

Cover a couple of different bases, go broad enough to figure out roughly what you like and what you don't, what works for you and what doesn't...

It's very easy to get stuck on a safari when you start trying teeny little variations on pieces intended to fill the same niche - sure, you might find a magical combination that's that little bit better, but the general idea will be the same.

In that vein - maybe look at some that cover a bit more ground within the same general size ballpark...
- A particularly reputable "normal" 3C: the Curry seems to be the most popular pick around here, and it's very reasonably priced and well made.
- A more efficient 3C: something with a bit more resistance but without being too specialized... so for example, Marcinkiewicz E3/3C, Reeves 43C, Yamaha Shew Jazz, etc
- A more open 3C: something noticeably more open, but still appropriate for all-round use... so something like a Monette B6S1, CG3, etc.

(As I suggested earlier in the thread, I'd go second-hand as much as possible so you can recoup the investment from whichever ones you decide you don't want to keep).
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
I'll throw out a slightly different tack on this...

Cover a couple of different bases, go broad enough to figure out roughly what you like and what you don't, what works for you and what doesn't...

It's very easy to get stuck on a safari when you start trying teeny little variations on pieces intended to fill the same niche - sure, you might find a magical combination that's that little bit better, but the general idea will be the same.

In that vein - maybe look at some that cover a bit more ground within the same general size ballpark...
- A particularly reputable "normal" 3C: the Curry seems to be the most popular pick around here, and it's very reasonably priced and well made.
- A more efficient 3C: something with a bit more resistance but without being too specialized... so for example, Marcinkiewicz E3/3C, Reeves 43C, Yamaha Shew Jazz, etc
- A more open 3C: something noticeably more open, but still appropriate for all-round use... so something like a Monette B6S1, CG3, etc.

(As I suggested earlier in the thread, I'd go second-hand as much as possible so you can recoup the investment from whichever ones you decide you don't want to keep).

This is a bit like my set up.
I use the Horntrader 3 as my main mouthpiece, the 3C for brighter/lead and I have the HT3-Jazz for more mellow srtuff and low germanic orchestral stuff.

You could achieve the same thing more cheaply with the Curry range.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

I use the Horntrader 3 as my main mouthpiece, the 3C for brighter/lead and I have the HT3-Jazz for more mellow srtuff and low germanic orchestral stuff.

Or indeed with Jim New's stuff... S4M is a great "normal 3C", S4MS is a great "brighter 3C" without being excessively shallow, S4MD is a bit rounder and smoother without being massive massive...

Throw in a couple of different backbores and you could have a very, very adaptable set (and very reasonably priced IMHO).
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
GordonH wrote:

Or indeed with Jim New's stuff... S4M is a great "normal 3C", S4MS is a great "brighter 3C" without being excessively shallow, S4MD is a bit rounder and smoother without being massive massive...

Throw in a couple of different backbores and you could have a very, very adaptable set (and very reasonably priced IMHO).

I use the S4MS on piccolo with a Warburton backbore.
The rim is practically identical to the Horntrader 3C.

TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:

There's some real witchcraft with that cup - it doesn't look shallow at all, but it gives loads of support up top... almost a perfect picc cup for someone with plenty of lip engagement (or anyone else, really).
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
GordonH wrote:

There's some real witchcraft with that cup - it doesn't look shallow at all, but it gives loads of support up top... almost a perfect picc cup for someone with plenty of lip engagement (or anyone else, really).

The cup is a bit like a Bach 7DW which is what Maurice Andre played for a long time. I like the S4MS a lot.

jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep crawling back to the Curry 3C.

The modern Bach 3C is great but the Curry seems to fit me better.

I can't really think of a third.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
I keep crawling back to the Curry 3C.

The modern Bach 3C is great but the Curry seems to fit me better.

I can't really think of a third.

I went from zero Curry's last week, to three this week.
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who takes advice from a rank amateur like me is a fool. Just the same, here are my entries:

Curry 3C (I haven’t found anything that works better for me)

Kanstul CG Personal - Haven’t tried yet, but this is my next acquisition. My instructor (Jeff Purtle) plays this and he gets a big, open sound with it.

James R. New Model combo: S5M with the S Backbore (the same as Arturo Sandoval’s Mount Vernon 3C)

Runner up:

Schilke 14A4a - Allen Vizzuti sounds great on his, but this absolutely doesn’t work for me.

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: