• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mental approach to gaining velocity into the upper register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VintageFTW
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Mental approach to gaining velocity into the upper register Reply with quote

This is something I have been thinking about and trying to implement into my playing for a while now. What I mean by velocity (sometimes also called momentum in trumpet terms) is like what you hear in Maynard's solos in Gonna Fly Now. He just launches into the upper register on that scale and keeps the energy flowing the rest of the time. How do you approach this kind of energy transfer? I know it becomes easier once you are up there, but what about quickly building the energy as you ascend? I like to think of it as a slingshot, railgun, or exponential function, but what do you think about for these types of things? I am familiar with the patented, not yet copyrighted, magical RAY OF POWER. It seems to be rooted in the Science of Breath...
Early 1900's Marceau Cornet *B&F Stencil
1922 Holton-Clarke Cornet
1954 Elkhart built by Buescher 37b
...And many more
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mental approach to gaining velocity into the upper regis Reply with quote

VintageFTW wrote:
This is something I have been thinking about and trying to implement into my playing for a while now. What I mean by velocity (sometimes also called momentum in trumpet terms) is like what you hear in Maynard's solos in Gonna Fly Now. He just launches into the upper register on that scale and keeps the energy flowing the rest of the time. How do you approach this kind of energy transfer? I know it becomes easier once you are up there, but what about quickly building the energy as you ascend? I like to think of it as a slingshot, railgun, or exponential function, but what do you think about for these types of things? I am familiar with the patented, not yet copyrighted, magical RAY OF POWER. It seems to be rooted in the Science of Breath...

The question is a little confusing. As your use of the word "velocity" seems more of a metaphor.

I agree that Maynard appeared magical. Truly had the most expressive tone around. He would have been an impressive player even if he never ventured above high F (E flat concert over high C). Only Bunny Berrigan and Louis Armstrong had tones similarly expressive. My guess is that these two were major influences on him.

There are lots of very good high note players today but none seem to display the level of emotional expression. I wont mention names because the word "none" means none of them. And I think that most of the top players would even agree. For one Maynard had a dense core to his tone. That and a big sound. Oddly enough you can not get this tone on conventional mouthpieces. At least ways I can not get a dense, focused tone on conventional, stock mouthpieces. I think I know how to get more density on a bigger tone through mouthpiece modification but that is another subject. A good topic I think but for now wont elaborate.

As far as just having the capacity to blow high notes? This is a combination of physics and perseverance on the part of whomever is learning the trumpet. Most trumpet players either lack the determination to persevere with the process or lack the understanding of the physiology necessary to blow good high register. You will also find that there is considerable disagreement among trumpet players about what measures need to be taken in order to begin mastering the upper register.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try octave slurs, root to root and see what the energy build up is like. Then do the octave slurs root to root and add root to 5th scale. Start with C and go up from there. I think this will provide a good deal of information.

best, Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: