• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge mp's - did they change your life?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't doubt there are variations in streaming air into a mouthpiece making the wedge good for some but not most.,,, for whatever technical reason.
i tried one and sent it back. i am in the mt. vernon 3C quest group, so would be suited for playing any of the dozen, at least, variants that quality shops have tweaked into existence. i don't think this middle of the road configuration can be improved on very much, and settling in with something agreeable a player can forget hardware and progress through effort. stay normal, and if something whiz-bang comes up try to ignore it.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a wedge when Dr Dave first started. I used the wrong orientation and sent it back. I have an overbite and receding jaw and as a comeback player had been on the mp safari for a couple of years. A year after my first try, I read that I had used the wrong orientation so tried one again. Both my range and endurance improved as did the pressure issue. I've been using the wedge for years now and have them for my cornet and flugel also. I'm using a 5CG with extra materials on the bottom to compensate for the overbite and receding jaw. To me Dave is just fantastic on coming up with these kinds solutions for us. I had been playing down since day one, but now can play with my horn parallel with the floor. I'm not a pro player and I play mostly my cornet now. Except for range up top, I have no problem in switching between cornet, trumpet, and flugel. My friends sister, who is a college music professor and pro level french horn player, just switched and she loves the wedge. All that being said, I think that using the mp that meets your needs is the best. My top priority is quality tone and the wedge does it for me. YMMV
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a couple of used ones....if they change my life, you guys will be the first to know.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Wedge ( MD65 ) for 2 1/2 days now and already I am experiencing an increase in my endurance: the main reason for trying the wedge. I know I am playing with less pressure, and it is one super comfortable mp. I really doubt this will be going back after the 90 day trial. Notes above the staff a little thin but that will work itself out in a short time.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
Just bought a couple of used ones....if they change my life, you guys will be the first to know.

Here is my review of the Wedge system. I bought two used mouthpieces for around $100. Both were Wedge rims mated to ACB cups and backbores. They were the TA1 and Lead1 mouthpieces. Found out right away that the Lead mouthpiece would be useless for me as I bottomed out severely. The TA mouthpiece is more of a “commercial” combination, a much shallower cup than I’m used to (Bach 5A).

So I started using the Wedge/ACB on weekdays when most of my practicing centers on fundamentals (etudes, tonguing, fingering exercises, and so on). On the weekends, I work on various solos (the fun stuff) on Bb, Eb/D, and Piccolo using the previous mouthpieces I have.

I was able to play a Wedge right away, but there definitely IS a transition period. The sound at first was pretty airy. Now, the sound is full from low F# to low C, kind of fuzzy from low C to middle G, but really solid from middle C up to high D, which is 2 full notes higher than I can usually count on from my 5A.

I defiantly notice my range and endurance has increased. Now some of the range increase may be from the shallower cup I’m using but I think there is more to it than that. Over the weekend, I did a comparison on the solos I’m using for the Bb (Arutunian Aria & Scherzo), Eb (Haydn and Neruda), and Piccolo (Stoezel).

The Wedge with the shallower cup did not give me the full sound needed for the Arutunian, and wasn’t as good up high on the Piccolo as the Stork 10mv I’m using now. However, I thought it was superior to the Stomvi I was using on my Eb as it was more open with a better quality of sound.

So I think I’m impressed enough to obtain a Wedge that is more like the 5A in cup depth, probably in a multi-part configuration. Is it just me, or does paying $250 for a mouthpiece seem mindblowing?
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
Is it just me, or does paying $250 for a mouthpiece seem mindblowing?

It may seem that way to you, but if you play better on it, and consequently get/keep two gigs in your life, it's paid for itself. Also, when you consider that it will last forever if not abused, and can be resold for 1/2-2/3 of its original price, whereas professional oboe players spend many times that much on materials for making reeds every year, it's not such a bad deal.

Some people are happy with standard mouthpieces bought comparatively cheaply from big companies, and that's great. Others prefer less standard mouthpieces bought from smaller companies, and with the price tag to match, and it's still, in the big picture sense, a fantastic deal compared to our musical brethren. I don't like to count other peoples' money, so to speak, but I wish we'd stop fixating on what instruments/mouthpieces cost. If I sound 0.5% better, or play 0.5% longer without compromising quality, on one mouthpiece than another, then it's worth almost any plausible amount of money to me. If you feel otherwise, there are mouthpieces to suit that view, as well.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

It may seem that way to you, but if you play better on it, and consequently get/keep two gigs in your life, it's paid for itself. Also, when you consider that it will last forever if not abused, and can be resold for 1/2-2/3 of its original price, whereas professional oboe players spend many times that much on materials for making reeds every year, it's not such a bad deal.

Some people are happy with standard mouthpieces bought comparatively cheaply from big companies, and that's great. Others prefer less standard mouthpieces bought from smaller companies, and with the price tag to match, and it's still, in the big picture sense, a fantastic deal compared to our musical brethren. I don't like to count other peoples' money, so to speak, but I wish we'd stop fixating on what instruments/mouthpieces cost. If I sound 0.5% better, or play 0.5% longer without compromising quality, on one mouthpiece than another, then it's worth almost any plausible amount of money to me. If you feel otherwise, there are mouthpieces to suit that view, as well.

You are obviously a lot more accomplished than I am. I don't have any gigs to play for. I recently started playing again, its just bizarre to see expensive mouthpieces like this. I just want to experiment and see where stuff takes me.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flirted with a Wedge for a little while in college. I had been having tremendous chop issues and playing never felt consistent day to day. The rim made me more aware of how I was using my embouchure and helped me get back on track. I used the Wedge for maybe two months and then was back on a traditional mouthpiece with vastly improved results.

I've thought about going back, but I don't think I'll be leaving my new found Monette obsession anytime soon.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:

You are obviously a lot more accomplished than I am. I don't have any gigs to play for. I recently started playing again, its just bizarre to see expensive mouthpieces like this. I just want to experiment and see where stuff takes me.

Understood - different strokes. This is an old debate here, I didn't mean anything targeting you individually. If you have fun experimenting, and prefer ones that are cheaper, bombs away.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

I'd go s step further. For a great many players, trumpet playing is hard. If spending few hundred makes it measurably less hard there's no shortage of people who would do so.

And I do agree that when compared to many other instruments, for most folks trumpet playing is relatively inexpensive.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I found the 65MD a bit too large and exchanged it for a 64MD, the Wedge is making a difference, especially in the area of endurance and accuracy, and I feel other good things are just ahead. To me, an 81 year old comeback player who just wants to play well, the Wedge is helping me do that and that makes the cost a bargain.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Shark01 wrote:

Understood - different strokes. This is an old debate here, I didn't mean anything targeting you individually. If you have fun experimenting, and prefer ones that are cheaper, bombs away.

No offense taken, I know I suck at this...

I am having fun experimenting, have already bought a bunch of mouthpieces. And I fully intend to buy a Wedge that fits me better, and try stuff like a Monette, which didn't exist when I gave up the horn for the good of humanity.

And maybe I shouldn't whine about mouthpiece prices, but Ferraris don't buy themselves...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: