• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large hands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
malden

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Large hands Reply with quote

The XL hands that are an advantage for the piano become cumbersome for the trumpet. I have a difficult time holding a trumpet comfortably in my hands, its like hugging a toothpick. And this discomfort translates into tension that I can feel all the way into by shoulder and tension is bad news.

I recently found an instrument that feels better in my hands, its a Conn 38A Short Cornet.

Can any of you suggest a trumpet with a wider wrap I might try out? Or am I going to be restricted to cornets? And what other cornets would you suggest?

I am having a lot of fun playing but I need equipment help.

Thanks
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Large hands Reply with quote

malden wrote:
The XL hands that are an advantage for the piano become cumbersome for the trumpet. I have a difficult time holding a trumpet comfortably in my hands, its like hugging a toothpick. And this discomfort translates into tension that I can feel all the way into by shoulder and tension is bad news.

I recently found an instrument that feels better in my hands, its a Conn 38A Short Cornet.

Can any of you suggest a trumpet with a wider wrap I might try out? Or am I going to be restricted to cornets? And what other cornets would you suggest?

I am having a lot of fun playing but I need equipment help.

Thanks

I have large hands and cannot wrap the trumpet with my left hand like most folks do. HOWEVER, for posture, air flow, and all that good stuff, I will either use the split fingers approach (Freddie Hubbard style) or just my hand almost underneath the valves (Maynard style). This helps with comfort, and to keep my horn up.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding wider wrap horns, the older Conn Constellations, the Kanstul 991 and Adams A6 have that older Conn Constellation-style wider wrap construction.

Brad
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Regarding wider wrap horns, the older Conn Constellations, the Kanstul 991 and Adams A6 have that older Conn Constellation-style wider wrap construction.

Brad

I have an Adams A4, but just realized I've never wrapped my hand around it to see the width...or should I say height.
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedgwood (hard to find)
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have extra large hands, too. I have learned to hold the trumpet by my fingers, not my palms, if that makes sense. In other words my grip is a bit loose, not the tight, "wring its neck" grip I see some guys use.

As far as horns go, the various Constellation designs are good, as mentioned above. Also, the Adams A4, Wild Thing, Edwards X-13, while not as wide between the top and bottom pipes, still have more room than most.

Stay away from Burbank, Schilke, and Yamaha (if my memory serves), plus Bach 190S 7/7, if left hand room is a big problem.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

I have an Adams A4, but just realized I've never wrapped my hand around it to see the width...or should I say height.

Not positive, but I think the A6 is wider/“higher” than the A4....I own neither though, so I may be incorrect.

Brad
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have big hands (xl gloves usually fit but barely) and always assumed it was an advantage. Brother was a trumpet player and taught me what at the time he called "pistol grip," where the third finger goes through the 3rd valve slide and the pinky and ring finger wrap underneath the third slide. If you're holding just by the valve block, I could see a problem, but if the thumb goes in the thumb ring and you're using the ring on the third valve slide, should be enough space.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture I have up now for my profile picture isn't great, but it's of me using my pocket trumpet. You might like pocket trumpets also because they are thick and unwieldy, but not bad for those of us with giant hands.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
The picture I have up now for my profile picture isn't great, but it's of me using my pocket trumpet. You might like pocket trumpets also because they are thick and unwieldy, but not bad for those of us with giant hands.

Good point!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lawler TL horns have also large and comfortable wrap but today is not easy to find one.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: