• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

wow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

I pulled my Yamaha out today and played for the first time in almost 7 years. I have a reunion concert in the fall at my old high school. I was contacted by a couple of guys I went to school with as well as my old band director.
I was very surprised at my fingers not knowing what to do. Chops wise I felt good, control is the biggest issue. I plan on three sessions a day to start, 15 minutes tops on each session. Once my conditioning improves I'll add more time. I have plenty of time to get ready.
Anyone else had the problem I noticed with my fingers?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
I pulled my Yamaha out today and played for the first time in almost 7 years. I have a reunion concert in the fall at my old high school. I was contacted by a couple of guys I went to school with as well as my old band director.
I was very surprised at my fingers not knowing what to do. Chops wise I felt good, control is the biggest issue. I plan on three sessions a day to start, 15 minutes tops on each session. Once my conditioning improves I'll add more time. I have plenty of time to get ready.
Anyone else had the problem I noticed with my fingers?

Every day for the last 35 years...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely slower on getting the correct key. I can't just play once and get it right--I usually require a few play-throughs. I also am only good through 3 sharps/flats--more than that and I have to look it up.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of days in and chops wise everything feels pretty good. Control is iffy and will be for a while. I feel like I'm playing French Horn the way the notes lack control. I already notice small bits of improvement. My fingers are still fumbling but I know that will improve. I'm doing three 15 minute sessions spread out through the day. As things improve I'll add sessions and keep each session to 20 minutes tops.
One thing has been bothering me that was unexpected. I have some minor rotator cuff issues in both shoulders. Thankfully there are no tears but they were both strained. My left arm and shoulder get very tired and sore. My right side is pretty good. The right side was worse when the injury was at it's worst.
I'm generally very fit and usually work out six days a week. The injuries kept me out of the gym for over 2 weeks. I went back Tuesday and started back very slow and light. I'm 62 and have worked out regularly most of my life so I know how hard to push myself.
Has anyone else encountered this after a long layoff?
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feeling pain and wondering "where'd that come from ?" is pretty much how you know you're over 50.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
Feeling pain and wondering "where'd that come from ?" is pretty much how you know you're over 50.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: