• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Martin - With Malice Towards None

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted Hal Leonard last May about the band arrangement. They told me it was on a list of future projects with no release date.

Not super helpful but that's what I got.

Nick

Play The Ink
robas92

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Chris Martin Reply with quote

Chris sounds elegant on everything. His sound is so refined, it really inspires one to keep practicing!!
Kanstul 920 Piccolo
Blessing 154 RT Flugelhorn

Robert A. Smith

--More horns than I can count!!
----------------------
Do, or do not, there is no try!!--Yoda
anonymous22

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although a nice performance, I think some of the reactions to this are quite overblown simply because we've heard no other professional play this piece. If only we had performances of this by people like Herseth, Adelstein and Kaderabek in the 70s, Schlueter and Stevens in the 80s, and people like Laureano, Sachs, Ridenour, and Anthony today, we would realize that any professional trumpet player would play this with just as much musicality each in his own way.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:
Although a nice performance, I think some of the reactions to this are quite overblown simply because we've heard no other professional play this piece. If only we had performances of this by people like Herseth, Adelstein and Kaderabek in the 70s, Schlueter and Stevens in the 80s, and people like Laureano, Sachs, Ridenour, and Anthony today, we would realize that any professional trumpet player would play this with just as much musicality each in his own way.

Probably true. But I'll pass on the hypothetical Schlueter recording...
mavrian22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I thought about pointing out the last time this guy got started in on Chris- keep in mind this is the guy who complained about the Houston Symphony bringing in Allison Balsom to play the Haydn opening night. We can all have opinions, but some are worth more then others....
anonymous22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavrian22 wrote:
As I thought about pointing out the last time this guy got started in on Chris- keep in mind this is the guy who complained about the Houston Symphony bringing in Allison Balsom to play the Haydn opening night. We can all have opinions, but some are worth more then others....

Yep, I'm the guy that prefers the individuality of older generations of players like Herseth, Adelstein, Kaderabek, Schlueter, Vosburgh, and Fischtal over the bland cookie-cutter trumpet sound on display all over today. Of course there are exceptions such as Ryan Anthony, Mike Sachs, Tom Rolfs, and Mark Hughes but the most famous ones like Martin, Bilger, Balsom, etc...I needn't say more. I also did object to an orchestra spending vast sums of money on a solo trumpet player that can play the piece no better (at least to 99% of listeners) than trumpet players in your own orchestra (who would have costed vastly less).
anonymous22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
anonymous22 wrote:

Probably true. But I'll pass on the hypothetical Schlueter recording...

I'm talking about the Schlueter of 30 years ago, not his present state of playing.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:
mavrian22 wrote:

Yep, I'm the guy that prefers the individuality of older generations of players like Herseth, Adelstein, Kaderabek, Schlueter, Vosburgh, and Fischtal over the bland cookie-cutter trumpet sound on display all over today. Of course there are exceptions such as Ryan Anthony, Mike Sachs, Tom Rolfs, and Mark Hughes but the most famous ones like Martin, Bilger, Balsom, etc...I needn't say more. I also did object to an orchestra spending vast sums of money on a solo trumpet player that can play the piece no better (at least to 99% of listeners) than trumpet players in your own orchestra (who would have costed vastly less).

I find it funny that in your examples of "cookie cutter" trumpeters you chose 3 trumpeter that sound nothing alike.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 wrote:

Is it really too much to ask that you might just leave it at "a nice performance"? I like all those other players too, but I'll bet if you asked them (at least those that are still alive, obviously), they'd demonstrate a lot more respect for Chris Martin's playing than someone who posts derisive things about someone who's played principal in Chicago and New York under an anonymous screen name. (!)
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anonymous22 won't be contributing further to this thread or any other.

If you wouldn't say it to the person's face, don't say it here.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to Chris, to me he just makes the instrument sing. An absolute delight to watch and hear.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moderators wrote:
anonymous22 won't be contributing further to this thread or any other.

If you wouldn't say it to the person's face, don't say it here.

Thank you!

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: