• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Software for managing music / lead sheets for bands

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
The stand choice is personal. I wouldn’t want to combine the tablet and mic stands. I like being able to move one and not affect the other.

Also when I used an adapter on a mic stand I didn’t like schlepping the extra weight of the mic stand. I eventually ended up using a manhasset base with an iPad adapter.

But the point about using the desk on a normal stand for sheets handed out during rehearsal is good. There are ways to snapshot and import quickly to handle this situation.

Going digital so you can replace 5-10# of paper, only to bring along a heavy based mic stand is...something of a puzzler to me. However, if you're bringing the mic stand anyway, I guess putting a tablet arm and even hanging the mutes from it does get you somewhere, as you can also do away with the music stand.

For those experimenting with other-than-iPads, when I was researching, I found a lot of the Android "tablets" only worked in landscape mode. You couldn't rotate it to portrait so you saw a full page. The RCA I picked up (this is over a year ago) was one of the few that did rotate to either.

One band member did try using his HP windows "tablet", which was really a laptop with touchscreen and a hinge allowing the keyboard to be folded and twisted around the back. But it was a 6# device, not 1#. And of course, no ForScore. Oh, it was also a $3,000 machine.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinstriper wrote:
Going digital so you can replace 5-10# of paper, only to bring along a heavy based mic stand is...something of a puzzler to me.

I wish some of these bands had a book that was that light. Some of them are so big, you need 2 or 3 big folders to keep track of it all, then hope you don't dump them on the ground by accident while hauling other gear.

Also, if you play in multiple groups, you have a slightly different problem to deal with. Making sure you always bring the right one with you to a gig. I have everything in separate libraries in forescore, along with custom setlists (when they're known in advance).

No digging through huge folders trying to find a part quickly and hoping the last sub didn't put it back in the wrong place. Pick it off the menu in a second and you're ready to go, while the bass bone is crawling around on the floor trying to dredge up the right part before the downbeat. No thank you.

pinstriper wrote:
However, if you're bringing the mic stand anyway, I guess putting a tablet arm and even hanging the mutes from it does get you somewhere, as you can also do away with the music stand.

True. I have both type of mounts, one that is like a normal music stand, with a claw mount up top, and the other attaches to a mic stand. You're not always in an individually mic'd setup. I really only use the mic option when I know the mic stands will already be there.

For most rehearsals, I just lay the tablet on a normal stand, because you never know when somebody will hand out something new. It's easier to just read the paper than try and scan it right there quickly. Especially if the lighting isn't very good for scanning.

pinstriper wrote:
For those experimenting with other-than-iPads, when I was researching, I found a lot of the Android "tablets" only worked in landscape mode. You couldn't rotate it to portrait so you saw a full page. The RCA I picked up (this is over a year ago) was one of the few that did rotate to either.

Is that a hardware limitation, or a problem with the specific presentation software being used? I haven't spent that much time with Android, but I thought I had seen people with android tablets rotated before for sheet music.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the lack of rotation was a hardware limitation. Something to be checked out carefully. Some Android tablets will rotate, others will not.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are describing the lack of an automatic sensor to pick up on rotation. Even without one, you could still have a software feature to rotate the displayed image within a specific application. Sure, the rest of the Android UI might not be rotated, but inside the app, it's just lighting up pixels. It's a simple coordinate transform to make that happen inside the app. Whatever the closest thing to ForScore on android might be, it *could* implement manual image rotation in such cases.

I think ForScore's development team is missing a huge opportunity by not supporting Android at all, unless of course they just don't want to deal with supporting multiple platforms, regardless of the potential extra revenue.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I think ForScore's development team is missing a huge opportunity by not supporting Android at all, unless of course they just don't want to deal with supporting multiple platforms, regardless of the potential extra revenue.

From what little I understand (I'm not a developer), because there are thousands of different devices running Android, and all those devices have different versions of Android, including altered proprietary versions of the software, etc., developing software for Android is an order of magnitude more expensive than developing for iOS.

For general purpose software, the investment makes sense, but for a niche application like ForScore, I'm sure the cost is prohibitive. Thus... iOS or nothing.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

From what little I understand (I'm not a developer), because there are thousands of different devices running Android, and all those devices have different versions of Android, including altered proprietary versions of the software, etc., developing software for Android is an order of magnitude more expensive than developing for iOS.

For general purpose software, the investment makes sense, but for a niche application like ForScore, I'm sure the cost is prohibitive. Thus... iOS or nothing.

Most of the customization does not really affect the interfaces the applications use. For instance the last two companies I worked for created custom drivers to connect their hardware to the internals of Android. But by the time the input made its way through the OS it was all in a standard format.

It is possible that I am not aware of other issues, since I have only a small sample based on my experience.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I wish some of these bands had a book that was that light. Some of them are so big, you need 2 or 3 big folders to keep track of it all, then hope you don't dump them on the ground by accident while hauling other gear.

I hate groups like that. There's no reason to drag the whole damn library of tunes - 90% of which you know you're not going to play in the next 6 months to every gig or rehearsal.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Sounds like you are describing the lack of an automatic sensor to pick up on rotation. Even without one, you could still have a software feature to rotate the displayed image within a specific application. Sure, the rest of the Android UI might not be rotated, but inside the app, it's just lighting up pixels. It's a simple coordinate transform to make that happen inside the app. Whatever the closest thing to ForScore on android might be, it *could* implement manual image rotation in such cases.

Yeah, it's all 1's and 0's, so they *could*.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
RandyTX wrote:

I hate groups like that. There's no reason to drag the whole damn library of tunes - 90% of which you know you're not going to play in the next 6 months to every gig or rehearsal.

I agree.
The (so-called) band leader somehow believes the group (and, he being "in charge") MUST play every tune some yokel in the audience requests.

I was that guy (band leader). I had a standard response to requests that were obscure in our repertoire. I informed "we don't have the music for that tune". Simple as that. The person would walk away ... likely, disappointed. But, so what? The guys (and gals) in the band loved me for that.

~ r2 ~
deplorable horn player

I miss Genghis Khan ....
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Electronic Music Stands Reply with quote

Just because it is my day job...

There are few similarities between an iPad app and an Android app. The development environments are completely different, and the computer languages are different. The only thing a developer could share between the two are the idea for the app and some of the screen graphics.

The reason some Android apps don't rotate is because the developer needs to provide a second (and complete) set of rotated screens in the app. Many don't spend the energy to create them. And yes, the Android platform is harder to create apps for - because of the myriad implementations and the constant updates.

Don't get me started on Windows tablets - that's a whole 'nuther can-o-worms.

While searching recently I found a device that would be perfect - it can display an A-Size sheet full size and doesn't have the excess Android or iOS stuff added. The first version was in the $1100 ~ $1400 range. The second is a bit less - about $800 retail. All you would need to do is hire someone to create a page-turner app.

Looks to me like the 12.9" iPad Pro wins the bigger/better/cheaper contest.

Gary.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

Does it have pen input? Based on my experience with Forescore and iPad that was pretty much the deal killer.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Does it have pen input?

Yes, it does. It's marketed as a sketch-pad.

I may have the prices wrong - version 1 was $1100
https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-digital-paper-tablet-does-high-tech-doodles-costs-1100/

The price of Version 1 went up after Sony dropped it and ReMarkable picked it up.

Version 2 is a bit smaller and can be had for $500
https://remarkable.com/store/reMarkable-and-marker

And there's this one:
https://www.adorama.com/isodptrp1b.html?msclkid=ffb0a9b150611fb4708df33f50c21758

I'm finding a lot of product announcements and almost no purchase opportunities.

Gary
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statement on their website seems to rule it out for most musicians:

remarkable wrote:
Warning: Do not let the display come in contact with alcohol or any solvent containing alcohol as this may damage the device.

Seriously, it looks like a decent machine. I liked the e-Ink Nook that I owned.

It runs Linux and does not appear to have a way to add programs.
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently far overpriced for me but...very interesting

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/1/15504902/gvido-e-ink-sheet-music-reader-shipping-september-1600

Hope it will be someday more democratic!
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltrane wrote:
Currently far overpriced for me but...very interesting

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/5/1/15504902/gvido-e-ink-sheet-music-reader-shipping-september-1600

Hope it will be someday more democratic!

Looks great. Shame about the price.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
gabriel127
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rec'd my my 13.3" Windows 10 tablet. Have it running with Mobile Sheets Pro software. Works great. Got the tablet with detachable keyboard and stylus pen for $335. Got the software for $12.99.

I've got the same functionality for a quarter of the price of the mac stuff. The tablet even has bluetooth if I decide later that I want to go with the bluetooth foot pedal.
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this post I downloaded forScore on my iPad Air, and started using it in rehearsals. Ok, it is not big as a paper score, but it's not too bad. All my scores from different bands on one light and compact device, easy to sort out...

New paper music comes in at the rehearsal? No problem! I immediately scanned them with Genius Scan and shared them to forScore in a few seconds!

For now I am still using the music stand and no pedal, but still it is a huge improvement from the old paper folders...

Thanks everybody for the info!
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman wrote:
After reading this post I downloaded forScore on my iPad Air, and started using it in rehearsals. Ok, it is not big as a paper score, but it's not too bad.

There's an often overlooked feature in ForScore, available through the pulldown menu on the top right, called 'Crop'.

It does just what you would expect from an image editing program, except it's not a permanent change. You can crop off the borders (which are often much wider than needed on screen for paper printing) and you can also rotate it, so if you have a scanned PDF that's off center, you can make it fit the display correctly.

You can end up with a larger, completely full screen of music, which helps a great deal, especially if you feel the display size on your tablet is a little too small.
Norman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Norman wrote:
After reading this post I downloaded forScore on my iPad Air, and started using it in rehearsals. Ok, it is not big as a paper score, but it's not too bad.

There's an often overlooked feature in ForScore, available through the pulldown menu on the top right, called 'Crop'.

It does just what you would expect from an image editing program, except it's not a permanent change. You can crop off the borders (which are often much wider than needed on screen for paper printing) and you can also rotate it, so if you have a scanned PDF that's off center, you can make it fit the display correctly.

You can end up with a larger, completely full screen of music, which helps a great deal, especially if you feel the display size on your tablet is a little too small.

Great, thanks!!!
natetpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 on ebay for not too much money, it works pretty great for me for, well everything!!
I use the Mobile Sheets Pro app for all my music, charts, method books etc.. There is a free version but storage is limited!!
The Note pro has a stylus which is dead handy for writing notes on the screen (there's also a Tab pro with the same screen size but without the stylus)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: