• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

La Mer inserts

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trompeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two other performances 'with inserts':

Boston Symphony - Who else is in the section (Rolfs, Wright, Krauss,...)?

Link

Lucerne Festvial with Friedrich (23:20 min):

Link
trpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: tpt section Reply with quote

Looks like Bruce Hall on 3rd.......
trpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: tpt Reply with quote

Sorry, on La Mer....
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bruce Hall and then Joe Foley on 2nd cornet
stevesf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not surprise me that Boulez in all of his recordings of La Mer does not include so called inserts....he always has had a rep for sticking to the printed score no matter what the music or emotional intent there of needs....

Yet even other more mecurial conductors have used these inserts in their recordings/performances to much success. Reiner (my fave) Toscanini , Haitink (just the horns play) to name a few.

I guess it is more of tradition that plays in than anything else.

Tradition of that particular orchestra and/or conductor......

I still think La Mer just sounds empty with out these fanfares....just my opinion..

Yamaha 6310Z - Bb Trumpet
Bach Strad 229/25H - C Trumpet
Yamaha 631 (rose brass) - Flugel
Warburton 4 series mouthpieces
-------------------------------------------------
Know Music, Know Life....No Music, No Life
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgowanm wrote:
I played this last week and the conductor came at me with these inserts and said, "Debussy wrote this and then took them out." I said, "then why are we playing them?" He just gave me a dirty look and walked away.........oh conductors..........

"Then why are we playing them?" I love it!

"NEVER look at the trombones...it only encourages them" (R. Strauss)

"What the hell does sound have to do with music?" (Charles Ives)
trombasolo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: La Mer trumpet inserts Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
trombasolo wrote:
The story is that when Harry James' version of Ciri Biri Bin became popular, and it was a world-wide hit, Debussy took those parts out of the trumpet part because there was always snickering and laughing in the public when they heard it since they associated it with Ciri Biri Bin.

Like a lot of stories, this may or may not be true, but I believe it could certainly be possible.

Cheers,
Dennis Ferry

It would seem a lot more convincing (to me) if the inserts sounded more like Ciri Biri Bin. Even after reading the above and listening to it again with this in mind, I just didn't make the connection. /shrug

Ansermet knew Debussy. Cuvit was Ansermet's principal trumpeter. Cuvit was told this story by Amsermet and Cuvit told me and you don't believe it. What is wrong with you? And who are you? What are your credentials? Is it EXACTLY like Ciribiribin? Of course not. Similar enough, though. Shrug?
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: La Mer trumpet inserts Reply with quote

trombasolo wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
trombasolo wrote:
The story is that when Harry James' version of Ciri Biri Bin became popular, and it was a world-wide hit, Debussy took those parts out of the trumpet part because there was always snickering and laughing in the public when they heard it since they associated it with Ciri Biri Bin.

Like a lot of stories, this may or may not be true, but I believe it could certainly be possible.

Cheers,
Dennis Ferry

It would seem a lot more convincing (to me) if the inserts sounded more like Ciri Biri Bin. Even after reading the above and listening to it again with this in mind, I just didn't make the connection. /shrug

Ansermet knew Debussy. Cuvit was Ansermet's principal trumpeter. Cuvit was told this story by Amsermet and Cuvit told me and you don't believe it. What is wrong with you? And who are you? What are your credentials? Is it EXACTLY like Ciribiribin? Of course not. Similar enough, though. Shrug?

I think the 20 years between Debussy's death and Harry James having a hit with "Ciribiribin" might explain the implausibility of the story - colorful, though it may be!

I know this is an old thread, but that BSO video above sure makes me wish Rafael Fruhbeck de Burgos was still alive.
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: La Mer trumpet inserts Reply with quote

robert_white wrote:
trombasolo wrote:
RandyTX wrote:
trombasolo wrote:

Cheers,
Dennis Ferry

I think the 20 years between Debussy's death and Harry James having a hit with "Ciribiribin" might explain the implausibility of the story - colorful, though it may be!

Maybe they had a séance?
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old post, but I'll add my 2 cents in.
Here is the final 10:39 minutes of Reiner and the CSO version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DyKWhLUsUk
The insert is at 9:11 in. Reiner and other great conductors of that era could create something few conductors can do today and that is create atmosphere.
Reiner shows the rather frightening power of the sea and the insert as brilliantly played here creates the sense of power the sea can possess.
Vincent Chicowicz was playing the 1st cornet part on this recording and the extremely soft high passage at 5:37 for the solo C cornet shows how great of a player he was.
La Mer is one of my personal favorite pieces for orchestra. Only a genius could write something that can be so easily visualized while listening to it.
R. Tomasek
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Detroit Symphony webcast on 2/23/2018, Slatkin only played the second insert, not the first one...strings only the first time......
I_play_trmpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On the Detroit Symphony webcast on 2/23/2018, Slatkin only played the second insert, not the first one...strings only the first time......

Hmm...don’t remember Lenny picking up a trumpet. Kevin Good and I did play the insert though (along with 3rd and 4th horns down the octave) We usually don’t play it, but the boss had it pasted into our parts this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: