• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinese Trumpet Mutes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Chinese Trumpet Mutes Reply with quote

I'm just getting back into trumpet and regrettably dumped my Humes and Harmon mutes a couple years ago. Of course now I have to replaced them Has anyone had any experiences with the cheap eastern mutes for a guy on a budget ?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I think is supposed to be a harmon-style one (silver, gives a brassy sound, black corks) that's not bad. That was ~$15. I also have one of those little tiny silver ones and it's pretty terrible. If I were you, I'd probably just ebay some good mutes and stay away from the mystery ones. For practice, I shelled on out for a new shhhmute ~$50, and it was well worth it.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent insexpensive choice is Denis Wick Harmon ~ $40

I haven't found any (new) that are less expensive that are worth buying.

But then a Jo-Ral Bubble mute in ~$60 (aluminum) IMO well worth the money

There are a lot of "look like" harmon mutes out there, my suggestion is to stay away from them, just a waste of money.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Chinese trumpets first came on the market (about 30 years ago) the only thing they were good for were use as paper weights and door jams. Now they're solid in the market.

Their mutes, however, wouldn't even decent paper weights. Maybe in 30 years...

So until then, save up if you have to but you should invest in quality mutes. The $5, maybe $10 that you might save on something vs a Wick or JoRal or H&B isn't worth it. The sound difference is very noticeable and the section blend will be greatly affected by what you stick in your bell.

This site's Marketplace & eBay are excellent sources for used H&B cups, Wick, JoRal, Tom Crown etc. straights, and assorted Harmon/bubble-style mutes.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
When Chinese trumpets first came on the market (about 30 years ago) the only thing they were good for were use as paper weights and door jams. Now they're solid in the market.

Their mutes, however, wouldn't even decent paper weights. Maybe in 30 years...

So until then, save up if you have to but you should invest in quality mutes. The $5, maybe $10 that you might save on something vs a Wick or JoRal or H&B isn't worth it. The sound difference is very noticeable and the section blend will be greatly affected by what you stick in your bell.

This site's Marketplace & eBay are excellent sources for used H&B cups, Wick, JoRal, Tom Crown etc. straights, and assorted Harmon/bubble-style mutes.

I'm not even totally sure how to use the Marketplace. There is often no contact info, no location. no photos or even comment on condition. These details are mandatory in most other buy & sell sites for a good reason. They are critical to smooth transactions.Some of the prices are so great and the ad so old, I am sure that the goods are gone by now but there is no onus to take the ad down. I'm not sure if there is a feature to mark the ad as sold when it does.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
I'm not even totally sure how to use the Marketplace. There is often no contact info, no location. no photos or even comment on condition. These details are mandatory in most other buy & sell sites for a good reason. They are critical to smooth transactions.Some of the prices are so great and the ad so old, I am sure that the goods are gone by now but there is no onus to take the ad down. I'm not sure if there is a feature to mark the ad as sold when it does.

Go to the marketplace. Click on "accessories." Enter what you're looking for.

"Cup mute" brought up a bunch, including this ad for a H&H cop for $20, and the ad was placed a few weeks ago. Email the seller thru the ad & go from there.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=103504&s=Humes-and-Berg-Cup-+-Bach-Practice-Mute

And of course no trumpet player is complete without one of these!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=103937&s=The-Best-Damn-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-Period-

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld : I did all of the above and here's a sample of the results: Mutes were sold but not indicated as such in the ad. There were never any photos so not sure if I missed anything. I'm in Canada and even if there was international shipping available, we weren't sure how much it would cost. Item locations are seldom mentioned in ads. As I said, all those mandatory info boxes on the other buy & sell websites are there for really good reason. It's too bad you couldn't include these on your selling forms as well as rules about updating ads or automatic expirations.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
It's too bad you couldn't include these on your selling forms as well as rules about updating ads or automatic expirations.

Just to clarify - I have nothing to do with anything on this site except for my posts.

Supposedly there are automatic expirations on ads in the marketplace - I get a notice of that whenever I place an ad. But the enforcement of that? No idea.

Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Abraxas wrote:
It's too bad you couldn't include these on your selling forms as well as rules about updating ads or automatic expirations.

Just to clarify - I have nothing to do with anything on this site except for my posts.

Supposedly there are automatic expirations on ads in the marketplace - I get a notice of that whenever I place an ad. But the enforcement of that? No idea.

Sorry, I made an assumption based on your username. Cheers.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I would just go to Long & McQuade and buy new mutes.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Chinese-made practice mute delivered to Australia for about $3, just to see what it was like.

Actually, for hotel practice when on tour etc.. it does the job quite well.

Very quiet and less resistance than the Yamaha silent mute, and good enough in-tune for keeping your chops supple.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpethead wrote:
I bought a Chinese-made practice mute delivered to Australia for about $3, just to see what it was like.

Very quiet and less resistance than the Yamaha silent mute, and good enough in-tune for keeping your chops supple.

I don't suppose you remember which one ? Was it the Glorious People's Mute or the Famous Happy Mute For Many Joy ?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the cost for shipping from the US (one of my swabs to Canada is $10US in postage!), definitely stay with Canadian sellers & music stores.

Good luck in your search!

Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Considering the cost for shipping from the US (one of my swabs to Canada is $10US in postage!), definitely stay with Canadian sellers & music stores.

Good luck in your search!

Well you can consider making them here then, at least for the Canadian market. Our dollar has fallen very badly against the USD on account of low oil prices, among other things.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
trumpethead wrote:

I don't suppose you remember which one ? Was it the Glorious People's Mute or the Famous Happy Mute For Many Joy ?

Yes, one like this. $3.28 AUD delivered to my door.
I'm not claiming it's a world-beater but it's not bad and does the job when you're on the road touring.
link
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ... I just ordered the $3 "yellowish pipe silencer" from Hong Kong. Happy people for many quiet....... Ya I know "Better than your Mandarin !!". Specifically, it's this one which I think is the one you bought but at an even cheaper cost perhaps: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Light-Weight-Trumpet-Practice-Straight-Mute-Silencer-For-Instrument/401453827329?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=671115289905&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

My local horn shop is shut down for a week, but I'll get some "normal" mutes when he reopens, so I can compare. Damn I used to have a Humes & Berg straight mute and a Harmon Wah but included them in a trumpet sale without realizes how expensive they have become.......... or are they not expensive and I am just poor ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: