• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How likely cleaned used trumpet to carry disease?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
linggar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: How likely cleaned used trumpet to carry disease? Reply with quote

Hi trumpet heralds,

So I decided to start learning trumpet and just bought my very first preloved trumpet, I'm wondering how likely a home cleaned trumpet to still carry disease if any or do I need to get it chemically cleaned before I start practicing?

I'm a bit concerned but also can't wait to start practicing.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuggedabowdit. Rinse and dry the mouthpiece and play.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that disease would be an issue, but you can get a pretty good idea of how clean it is just by looking down the leadpipe, pulling slides and looking into them and removing the valves. If I see a lot of crud in a horn I bought used I generally have it ultrasonically cleaned. If it looks pretty clean I give it a bath anyway. Not really worried about diseases, I just want to get whatever the last owner blew into it OUT.

Brad
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it a good cleaning at home with dish detergent, rinse, let dry, then lube and reassemble.
Piccolo Stomvi
Euphanasia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How likely cleaned used trumpet to carry disease? Reply with quote

linggar wrote:
Hi trumpet heralds,

So I decided to start learning trumpet and just bought my very first preloved trumpet, I'm wondering how likely a home cleaned trumpet to still carry disease if any or do I need to get it chemically cleaned before I start practicing?

Brass seems to be pretty good at killing off microbes and other nasties. I once picked up a "barn find" euphonium on eBay that was resisting my attempts to blow it out with compressed air. After awhile, there was a "pop" and a mummified swallow shot out of the bell. No smell, no rot, just a little bird corpse.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brass/copper (copper is in brass) kills germs and silver does too.

Ugh your little bird reminds me of finding a dead seagull out in front of my shop the other day. When I picked it up, it was very light! I believe it had died on the roof a while back and dried out up there, and the recent strong winds blew it down. It was essentially taxidermied by the modern method where they just freeze-dry the animal.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How likely cleaned used trumpet to carry disease? Reply with quote

Euphanasia wrote:
linggar wrote:
Hi trumpet heralds,

Brass seems to be pretty good at killing off microbes and other nasties. I once picked up a "barn find" euphonium on eBay that was resisting my attempts to blow it out with compressed air. After awhile, there was a "pop" and a mummified swallow shot out of the bell. No smell, no rot, just a little bird corpse.

Was that an African swallow, or European?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: