• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harry James vid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew deValpine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Harry James vid Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1B-rGOGaaA

Hora Staccato.

Nice close-ups of his playing
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Harry and Mendez Reply with quote

I had one of the highlights of my musical career when as a member of the Harry James Orchestra in the mid-sixties, we were playing at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas and no less than Rafael Mendez came in to hear the band. On the break Harry was headed out to talk with Mendez in the lobby and I was determined to "be a fly on the wall" and eavesdrop. Actually, Harry introduced me and I stood there listening as they compared notes on their respective recordings of Hora Staccato. Mendez asked Harry how he doubled tongued the passage after the descending run down as Harry played the original violin version and Mendez had somewhat simplified it with ta-ka ta-ka ta-ka ta-ka. Harry told him that he had singled tongued it as he didn't "do much double tonguing". Mendez looked somewhat amazed as he said "I double tongue everything". Well of course there was much mutual respect that they had for each other and what a treat it was to hear this conversation.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, he's single tonguing sixteenth notes in that piece at about 144 bpm. Pretty impressive!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: