• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

PTFE valve oil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: PTFE valve oil Reply with quote

I've been using Dennis wick valve oil with ptfe. Is ptfe a good ingredient in valve oil. Most brands don't seem to tell you what's actually in the slip juice they sell.

Informed opinions sought on what makes better valve oil, or doesn't it really make any difference?

We probably all have a Favorite brand, but is the on sale cheapest type just as good really? Anyone got petro-chemical insider knowledge?
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this oil as well, and previously the Will Spencer Snake Oil... both with ptfe.

The ptfe is in the form of extremely small particles (shake well before use as they do settle to the bottom of the bottle).

PTFE is a very low friction material, the inclusion of it probably aids the lubrication properties of what ever other oils are in the mix. Graphite is another solid lubricant). PTFE is widely used in non-stick surfaces in industry and in the home. It’s pretty inert stuff.

It’s going to have a marketing angle, but there is also at least some science behind it.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PTFE is commonly known as Teflon. It tends to develop a film on the valves that both reduces friction and wear. But, it will probably not mix well with some conventional oils, so be sure to not mix oils and clean the valves and casings if you switch oils.

There are many threads on valve oil in the Other Toys sub-forum. It tends to be a personal choice among a number of good brands. I suspect body chemistry, horn characteristics, and personal preference all play a part in determining what oil is best for you. Like most things, you'll probably have to try a few to find your preference.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Wick stuff to be quite fast, but to evaporate quite quickly as well. I'm still using it one horn, simply because I haven't got around to flushing it out yet, but I think I'm done with that particular experiment now.

[Correction: I washed that horn last weekend, and put Ultra Pure in. Works just as well or better, so the rest of the Wick bottle is now on the shelf indefinitely.]

Everybody seems to like something different, so don't look for consensus on this, or any other equipment issue amongst trumpet players.

Last edited by RandyTX on Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like the PTFE formulations and feel it's better to have product that easily blends and doesn't need to be shaken to get it mixed properly.
you are relying on teflon where some type of oil would better serve. it's not any big deal either way, just the inelegance of the approach. the teflon formulations work perfectly well and don't seem to clog anything with their sediment.
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i don't like the PTFE formulations and feel it's better to have product that easily blends and doesn't need to be shaken to get it mixed properly.
you are relying on teflon where some type of oil would better serve. it's not any big deal either way, just the inelegance of the approach. the teflon formulations work perfectly well and don't seem to clog anything with their sediment.

Yes, I hadn't thought of it that way. A very good point
jazzjezz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Excepting, of course, that there is oil there as well - its not just relying on the PTFE.

It might be that having the PTFE in the mix allows a lighter, faster oil to be used... try it and see if you like it... there is an element of science to having the PTFE there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: