• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Xstream Flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Xstream Flugel Reply with quote

Trying to get some info on this model. Search brings up a ton of mouthpiece threads but nothing on the horn. Would this be a good model to test the waters before committing to a better horn?

JJ
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably answered my own question but seems these were entry level models and for the price there are better choices out there.

JJ
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some inexpensive flugels out there that are pretty good. The challenge is that flugelhorn have had intonation problems since their beginning. Those were solved by Byron Autrey back in the 1980s, but not every manufacturer has mastered that instrument. I have no experience with the horn you cite here. I have played a student model Jupiter that was okay and easy on the wallet at used price. Also, a friend had a Blessing that was nice.

Play it before you buy it. Or buy a known quantity and learn to play flugelhorn knowing the instrument is good.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
AwesomeDad
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
There are some inexpensive flugels out there that are pretty good. The challenge is that flugelhorn have had intonation problems since their beginning. Those were solved by Byron Autrey back in the 1980s, but not every manufacturer has mastered that instrument. I have no experience with the horn you cite here. I have played a student model Jupiter that was okay and easy on the wallet at used price. Also, a friend had a Blessing that was nice.

Play it before you buy it. Or buy a known quantity and learn to play flugelhorn knowing the instrument is good.

I’m leaning towards the known quantity however this one was localish and not a bad price. it’s the old spend a little money now to test the waters or put that money with a little more money and get a good horn...

JJ
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AwesomeDad wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

I’m leaning towards the known quantity however this one was localish and not a bad price. it’s the old spend a little money now to test the waters or put that money with a little more money and get a good horn...

JJ

With flugelhorn, "testing the waters" has the potential to put you off, because a bad flugelhorn is REALLY bad. Getting used to playing flugelhorn was an 18month process for me. I know, I'm slow... but, I knew I had a great instrument (Kanstul 1025) that I could trust and my technique could develop as I went along. A bad instrument is going to be a hindrance. Make sure you can ask someone who knows how to play flugelhorn correctly if this instrument is a good horn or not. Like you are doing in this thread...

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: