• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Superchops Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Callet Superchops Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I was looking for some information on the Callet Superchops trumpet but I couldn't find anything satisfying.
It is said that it has a very bright, brilliant sound even brighter than a Calicchio 1s2. Also the response and slotting shall be really good.

But is anybody out there who can give a reliable review on the Callet Superchops trumpet?
What are the pros and cons?
How do the .460 & .464 bore versions compare?
Can anyone compare the Superchops to a Calicchio 1s2 or other lead trumpets?

Looking forward to your answers!
Martin Committe Deluxe #3 - 1957
Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire Star - 1960s
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Callet Superchops Trumpet Reply with quote

I have owned the 460 and 464 Super chops. I like the 464 much better than the 460. The 460 just plays tight to me. The 464 does slot well and has a heavy bell on it. So, you do have problems hearing yourself in the section. I also did not like the D,Eb and E in the staff on the horn at all. VERY FLAT! When you tune the 464 you have to pull WAY out with your tuning slide depending on what mouthpiece you use. I used a Warburton 4MC which is not that small at all. If you can get by the out of tune notes and the feedback problem it does cut and has a solid sound.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of info in the Callet forum and elsewhere on TH, try a Google search restricted to this site.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Callet Superchops Trumpet Reply with quote

trumpetom2 wrote:

Can anyone compare the Superchops to a Calicchio 1s2 or other lead trumpets?

Loved my Calicchio 1s2 (some time ago) and owned several Calicchio's at the time.

Bought a Superchops as one came up for sale cheaply, so can directly compare the two.

The Callet response was like a lazer. Slotting was exceptional and direct, but didn't have the flexibility of the Calicchio, for me as a jazz performer, which is why I sold it off.

Great horn for a lead player but not for a soloist in a small group.

Now, I'm playing the CarolBrass 5000 YST trumpet, which for me is the BEST of both of them.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nice Calicchio 1S/7 made by Dom and have a Superchops .464 here now though my primary horn is a Callet NY Soloist. The Calicchio was good for a bright sound into a mic. But it was much less powerful and more spread than the Superchops. I found the Superchops very good for big band lead, R&B, and rock. But I found it especially good for Latin. The tuning was funny on the Calicchio, I had no troubles with the Superchops. However, the NY Soloist does everything better for me.

I've heard others say they needed to pull the tuning slide out quite far on the Superchops, especially with small mouthpieces. I play a very small Callet 1SS. Today, inside at 68 degrees, my NY Soloist slide is out 17mm for A440 and the Superchops is out 23mm.
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the detailed and helpfull replies so far!

If anybody else has anything to contribute to the discussion I'm happy about every post.

I've heard that the later models were improved considering feedback and response.
Has anybody compared the later models with the older ones?
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there was a change, that would be a surprise to me. The improvements came out as the NY Soloist - even more power and rich sound, definitely not mouthpiece fussy, great pitch. Both respond quickly and slot great, not sure there is any change there.
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
I don't think there was a change, that would be a surprise to me. The improvements came out as the NY Soloist - even more power and rich sound, definitely not mouthpiece fussy, great pitch. Both respond quickly and slot great, not sure there is any change there.

Can you give us a short comparison between the Superchops and the Soloist?

What I am looking for is a real lead trumpet with good intonation and slotting and that can cut through a band.
I doesn't need to bo a versitale solo horn it shall be a powerfull and cutting lead horn.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 Superchops in .464", had some custom work done to a .460" by Josh Landress to specialize it as a chamber instrument. That worked very well but like an above poster, that was too tight for me and I sold it. Intonation on the .464 is great! D Eb and E are spot on per the most accurate tuner ever made. I have to question the comment that those notes are flat, maybe he's just used to hearing them sharp? Or it could be the mouthpiece and/or gap?

Upper register is great! Very free blowing and predictable. I will agree that if you want to hear yourself in a section like "normal," you're likely to overblow; the projection is just THAT good which is unusual for a light to standard weight horn. You need to adjust and take the Roger Ingram approach of being content with about 60% effort, relying on the horn to do the work of being heard. This keeps you fresh while you sound like you're blowing your brains out, hence the name.

Clear, ringing sound! Will take the place of a C if you want. I found the tonal palette to be more flexible than the 1S/2. Either are great lead horns, I can just be more "civilized" on the Callet.

I have not had the chance to compare it to Callet's current model, the NY Soloist.
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="trumpetom2"]
tptguy wrote:

What I am looking for is a real lead trumpet with good intonation and slotting and that can cut through a band.
I doesn't need to bo a versitale solo horn it shall be a powerfull and cutting lead horn.

CarolBrass 5000YST
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite some time and I'm still pondering over the Superchops.
I haven't got the chance to play one yet so I'm still curious about more information on the trumpet.

Is anybody out there who played a Pre-UMI King Silver Flair and the .464 bore Callet Superchops in comparisson?

I guess the Superchops will be far superior in the upper register but how is the sound of the Superchops in the lower register?
Is it suitable for solo work in a BigBand?

Does anybody happen to know the Adaci Eleganza trumpet?
These are German made trumpets that seem to have the reputation of a lead trumpet...

I'm already looking forward to your answers!!!!!
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:57 am    Post subject: Superchops alternative Reply with quote

I have owned a few of the Superchops .460 and .464. over the years. I always have preferred the .464 and still have one.

I seriously considered putting the Superchops trumpet back into production and experimented a good bit on improving the player feedback as that the original heavy weight bell and narrow long bell taper give it good projection but minimal player feedback as many have mentioned which can cause difficulty in blending and the tendency to overblow it. I received a great deal of feedback from players suggesting that the heavyweight bell could be dampening the response and limiting the brilliance in sound that they were looking for in a lead trumpet.

So I went to experimenting on the .464 Superchops platform and had lighter bells made. Both in .020" and .017" The .020" thickness is what is used on the famous Callet Jazz trumpet. While these two lighter weight Superchops bells did allow a faster response that lead players look for the lack of player feedback while playing the horn issue still was not solved.
I was able to improve the intonation of the fourth line D a little by switching the Superchops lead pipe out with a Callet Jazz lead pipe with a tweaked extended straight section at the venturi.

Perhaps there was a better alternative to replace the Superchops with.

The experimentation continued:

So I took the Callet Jazz bell specs and decreased the final flare a couple of degrees for extra focus and set it up on a .464 straight through bore with the same semi squared main slide radius as used on the Superchops. Then a Callet Jazz lead pipe with an extended straight section at the venturi with a few proprietary tweaks.
Thus creating the Studio Artist Model Trumpet introduced in 2017. In both standard weight .020" and Lightweight .017" bells.

The Studio Artist has in abundance what many lead and commercial players look for. A pristine pure trumpet sound, fast response, very good behind the horn player feedback, easily blends in sections, excellent projection, great intonation, superb upper register slotting.

Here are some samples of the Studio Artist in action!
https://youtu.be/cIRkaacvPv4
https://youtu.be/3J41aobPiFc
https://youtu.be/tBtm5uaePT8
https://www.facebook.com/JHofftrumpeter/videos/10210781951703277/?fref=nf

www.callet.com
"Horns that won't hold you back"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that there will be no more new Adaci trumpets. Romeo Adaci passed away some time ago.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
trumpetom2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
Be aware that there will be no more new Adaci trumpets. Romeo Adaci passed away some time ago.

That's true, thanks for pointing that out.
But occasionally there occure used ones in pretty good condition.

Does anybody know something about the Eleganza?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: