• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen Eterna Eb Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Getzen Eterna Eb Cornet Reply with quote

There is a GETZEN Eb Corner for sale on EBay. Manufactured ib 1988. Link below. There are good ones, and crap ones. Is this the good or crap one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142705918423
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a short model (that one) and there's a longer model...

Honestly, neither model will stack up favourably against the better options available right now (Eclipse, Blackburn, Stomvi, Schilke, Yamaha Xeno/Neo, Besson/Courtois 924/107) and to be honest I'd choose a Yamaha 6610 over the Getzen sops from that era too.

Having said that... I've met people still using the longer model (those who like them seem to really like them), but I see very, very few of the shorter model in UK bands.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for from it... if you're just looking to get acquainted with playing Eb cornet then that would fulfil your needs - if you're looking for something to play with a band, there are much easier instruments to live with.

IMHO, YMMV.
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

Honestly, neither model will stack up favourably against the better options available right now (Eclipse, Blackburn, Stomvi, Schilke, Yamaha Xeno/Neo, Besson/Courtois 924/107) and to be honest I'd choose a Yamaha 6610 over the Getzen sops from that era too.

Having said that... I've met people still using the longer model (those who like them seem to really like them), but I see very, very few of the shorter model in UK bands.

I guess it all depends what you're looking for from it... if you're just looking to get acquainted with playing Eb cornet then that would fulfil your needs - if you're looking for something to play with a band, there are much easier instruments to live with.

IMHO, YMMV.

.....the crap one. Thank you very much for your reply!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
TKSop wrote:

IMHO, YMMV.

.....the crap one. Thank you very much for your reply!

I wouldn't say either model was brilliant, personally, but that's my opinion... I definitely wouldn't personally pay $600 for either model.

At the end of the day though, if you can get to play test it and decide you like it then trust your own opinion - a sop cornet is one of those instruments I certainly wouldn't advise buying blind.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:

IMHO, YMMV.

I played the longer model for many years in our brass band and found it to be an excellent horn; open, easy to blow (if a sopranocornet could ever be easy), big projection, very nice sound.
However the guy who came after me couldnīt stand it so the band bought him a Schilke. A thing which I in my turn just canīt play - stuffy, out of tune, demanding eons of power (=excactly what he thought of the Getzen).
So it boils down to the combination of man and machine. And mouthpiece.
Playing the soprano might be fatal per se but thatīs another story. Our first soprano player is said to have "inverted" his right lung hence thereafter playing the euphonium. Still does.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"
Playing the soprano might be fatal per se but thatīs another story. Our first soprano player is said to have "inverted" his right lung hence thereafter playing the euphonium. Still does."

Sue the composers.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bstradivarius wrote:
"
Playing the soprano might be fatal per se but thatīs another story. Our first soprano player is said to have "inverted" his right lung hence thereafter playing the euphonium. Still does."

Sue the composers.

Sorry to say this is "prescribed" since it happened more than 60 years ago. Nope - Iīll rather blame it on the Eflat cornet of that time. I inherited it but refused to use it; in spite of being heavy a tiny little horn probably of Czechian heritage that was altogether impossible. Today it would have been diagnosed with maximum resistance per mm tubing.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: