• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High School Student - How To "Learn" Jazz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobweglarz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: High School Student - How To "Learn" Jazz? Reply with quote

First post!

So, I'm currently a sophomore in high school, and I participate in a lot of different bands, both in and out of school, but all of these bands pretty much stick to classically composed songs, and never really vary. Aside from the jazz band in my school (which is very small and basic), I really don't have any exposure to swing or jazz-like music. So, when my community band that I play lead trumpet in decided to do a short arrangement of St. Louis Blues, its safe to say I was a little bit shocked. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get a feel for the rhythms or the music in general.

Onto the actual post. I don't know a lot about jazz, swing, and anything that remotely falls into that category. What are the first steps I should take to learn another style of music entirely? If private lessons are the way to go, how do I find a private instructor? I might not be asking the right questions here, so really any tips are helpful at this point. Thanks!
-------------------------------
JoRal Bubble Mute [silver]
Mutec Adjustable Cup Mute [silver]
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH!

Listen to recordings a lot. Play along with the recordings too. This will get the style into your head. Then try to reproduce that sound with your playing. Listen/visualize/imitate. Have fun with it!
Piccolo Stomvi
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH. It’s great to be involved in a lot of bands. Jazz band, in particular, is where high schoolers have stylistic and sound production issues with. In all honesty, your best bet would be to purchase a Monette mouthpiece. Jazz technique and sound become much easier with Monette products. That’s why nearly everyone in Jazz uses them. Some other beneficial ideas:

Learn to play a high C upside down. This will skyrocket your range.

Play the Hayden Trumpet Concerto with lots of swing. Should definitely help you get accustom to jazz.

Watch Blaise Bowman’s channel. Lots of great stuff. https://youtu.be/-aEiuZl4Cds

Take lessons from that other sophomore trumpet in your band. Would be beneficial.

[Dont take this post seriously I know this guy he’s a friend ]
jacobweglarz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

Take lessons from that other sophomore trumpet in your band. Would be beneficial.

I didn't realize who this was up until this part. Nice to see you here Caleb
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: High School Student - How To "Learn" Jazz? Reply with quote

jacobweglarz wrote:
First post!

Welcome!

jacobweglarz wrote:
Onto the actual post. I don't know a lot about jazz, swing, and anything that remotely falls into that category. What are the first steps I should take to learn another style of music entirely?

There are many things you can do, if you want to play jazz. You can learn the jazz language - chords, scales, patterns, and style. You can listen to good players, practice transcriptions, and imitate their approaches. You can learn the jazz standards. You can learn as much as you can in all 12 keys. And you can get out and play.

If you're interested, find a good jazz method to work from. I started with the Aebersold method (his free jazz handbook, and volumes 1-3 of his play-along series). Maybe start with Volume 1, and see where it takes you.

https://www.amazon.com/Vol-Play-Jazz-Improvise-Book/dp/B0002J6I8M

jacobweglarz wrote:
If private lessons are the way to go, how do I find a private instructor?

This isn't a bad idea, depending on your goals. I had 2 private teachers back in school. I had a trumpet teacher. I also took jazz lessons from a saxophonist. Maybe your band director can recommend someone, or provide other advice about your goals.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of learning style there's no substitute for listening to recordings. If you grew up in England you'd have heard the English accent all the time and you'd have developed that accent fluently. It would come naturally to you. If you grew up in China you'd have heard Chinese all the time and you'd have developed the ability to speak Chinese fluently. It would come naturally to you.

Jazz styling is a language. To learn to produce it fluently you have to listen to it for a long time until it comes naturally to you.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a big band with a good (stylistically) lead trumpeter that will let you play 3rd or 4th trumpet. You'll pick up the style and phrasing of the idiom.

Do some research, call the musicians union, etc.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Welcome to TH. It’s great to be involved in a lot of bands. Jazz band, in particular, is where high schoolers have stylistic and sound production issues with. In all honesty, your best bet would be to purchase a Monette mouthpiece. Jazz technique and sound become much easier with Monette products. That’s why nearly everyone in Jazz uses them. Some other beneficial ideas:

Play the Hayden Trumpet Concerto with lots of swing. Should definitely help you get accustom to jazz.

Watch Blaise Bowman’s channel. Lots of great stuff. https://youtu.be/-aEiuZl4Cds

You're a funny guy.
jacobweglarz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean by "musicians union"?
Clayol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, one of the most important things you can do is to listen to as much jazz as you can. Youtube is your friend here. There are so many amazing recordings out there - you just have to dive in and try and absorb the music. It won't happen all at once, but you'll soon be able to 'feel' the music. The dynamics and articulation/accent patterns will become much more natural as you listen and practice. Here are some recommended groups/players:

Duke Ellington Orchestra
Count Basie
Thad Jones/Mel Louis Orchestra
Mingus Big Band
Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
Maria Schneider Orchestra

Clifford Brown
Miles Davis
Fats Navarro
Dizzy Gillespie
Kenny Dorham
Freddie Hubbard
Chet Baker
Clark Terry
Nat Adderly
Harry Edison
Louis Armstrong
Booker Little

Every one of these players/bands has their own distinctive feel and style. Listen as much as you can, and enjoy.

Cornet: Olds Ambassador

Flugelhorn: J. Klier rotary flugelhorn
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is VERY important to start learning jazz from it's early roots, onward. Only when you've mastered how to solo in 1920's and 1930's style, should you move on to 40's swing and 50's bebop, and then to 1960
s and more modernistic playing. Too many people disparage earlier jazz, not realizing it is the stepping off point from march music, blues, and classical, and they miss the transition into jazz.

I have a spotify playlist that, if listened to everyday, will give exhaustive examples of jazz from the 1920's onward. PM me and I'll tell you how to access it. This listening will give you a wealth of ear training and harmonic language you'll need to succeed in your jazz, AND commercial music endeavors.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobweglarz wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Sorry, what do you mean by "musicians union"?

Most metropolitan areas have a local of the American Federation of Musicians. If you don't know where else to find out about bands (big bands, rehearsal bands, kicks bands) somebody at the local may know or tell you who to ask, For that matter if you feel OK disclosing your area, there very well may be sombody on TH that could help you.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to swing ins't that difficult. Listening to jazz and big band music will help you get a good feel for it. Try playing scales in that style. It all comes down to using your ears!

When you're ready to learn tunes and begin improv a good friend/mentor of mine, Indianapolis based trumpeter Mark Buselli, posted this a week ago. should be a helpful start with some help from your director.

Mark Buselli wrote:

I hope this helps. I have learned a lot of songs in my day. This is my method.
How to Learn a tune – Mark Buselli

1) Learn the melody by singing the lyrics, humming the tune over and over. When you can sing it THEN start to learn it on your instrument. Try to go to original sources of the melody. Ex. Try to learn it from the author and not someone reinterpreting the melody with liberties. Be careful of Real books (especially #1) as there are loads of errors. The later ones are much better. Readers Digest has a great series on older tunes.

2) With just a metronome (no play alongs) set a metronome to about 75-85 and use it as 2 and 4. Now, play ONLY the roots of the chords through the tune for about 3-4 choruses. You will then be familiar with the form and the structure of the tune.

3) Learn the guide tones of the tune (3rds and 7ths) and play both guide tone lines (one starts on the third and the other the 7th) in different inversions through the range of your instrument. *(see guide tone exercise)

4) Practice walking bass lines using digital patterns (1-2-3-5 ascending and 8-7-6-5 descending) throughout the form with quarter notes.

5) Limit your improve notes to triads at first and then 7th chords. These help our brain to get “into the changes” much easier. These are basic building blocks and must be practiced in all inversions full range. If this last step is not taken then you will limit yourself to always starting on the root of the chord when you improvise and you will be labeled a “boring” player.

6) Team up with another player and have them play bass lines. Try some motivic development. Take a short little phrase and carry it through the different changes of the song making slight modifications to fit the chord changes.

7) Just because a chord is altered does not mean you have to play all the alterations every time. You can play beautiful musical phrases without playing every alteration.

8)Think about pacing. Leave space. One can ONLY leave space when they are confident of the form! A great way to leave space is by saying a short phrase like “Parker is super hip.” Play those phrases on your instrument through the changes.

9) FINAL CHECK – Have someone point to you as you play the melody. When they point start to improvise. When they point again play the melody wherever you are in the form. Try it …. Not so easy.

10) Play with a rhythm section and have fun!

Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this workshop.

workshops.jazzbooks.com/
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jazzbooks.com/jazz/fqbk
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

Sorry I can't be of help to your friend but my improv skills are at what I would call survival level.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: